eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Gifts

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

What is this Red Stone with tiny Gold Flecks?

Here is a picture of a Mexican silver necklace I am trying to list. Please let me know if you know what the stone is. Thank you.
lexy143
Community Member

Re: What is this Red Stone with tiny Gold Flecks?

in reply to luuvy
I can't make out any detail but usually they used dyed Travertine or glass. What are the marks on the piece? That can give me a better idea of what was used, based on the age.
Community Member

in reply to luuvy
It's marked "Handwrought" "Sterling" and "PIIO" or "PIIC" (sorry, I'm old and can't see like I used to). This was given to me by my former mother-in-law, and she bought it in Mexico in the 60's or 70's. It's feels like stone, not glass when I click it against my teeth, but I could be wrong. Thanks so much for your help.
allopapallo
Community Member

in reply to luuvy
Looks like a dyed stone to me too.
Not sure if it is travertine or chalcedony or maybe howlite, anyway looks like dyed to me.

Daniel
lexy143
Community Member

in reply to luuvy
Travertine is more likely, if it doesn't have an eagle mark it dates pre-1948 and that's what they used most often. The gold flecks are confusing though, I've never seen any in the Travertine I've had.
Glass was used a lot then too, almost all the Turquoise from that era is glass, not real.
This is a stumper because the only red I remember seeing from that era was glass but it definitely didn't have flecks and was usually either in a mask shape or had grooves cut in that had silver straps across them.
Community Member

in reply to luuvy
Pre 48? That is interesting. I really don't know anything about Mexican silver jewelry. I was just thinning out my jewelry collection and realized I hadn't worn this in about 15 years. Here is a (not very good) picture of the back. Now I am thinking I should take a little more time with it. I wasn't going to polish it but thinking now maybe I should?
lexy143
Community Member

in reply to luuvy
Looking at the mark now I'm wondering if it is Mexican, their items are marked Mexico in some way 99.99% of the time, I wasn't thinking about it when you mentioned the mark.
Mexicans do sell items from other countries. The chain definitely doesn't look Mexican. That would also explain why the stone is so out of the ordinary for Mex work. If it's not from there then the dating method doesn't work so could be from the time she bought it.

Cleaning up silver is always a good idea. Buffing it with a soft cloth will remove the grunge and tarnish but won't hurt the patina.
Community Member

in reply to luuvy
If the stone was the size of the linked photo,someone may have been able to give you a guess of the material. As it is though,it just appears to be a blurred red "stone" the size of a quarter.
evelyb30
Community Member

in reply to luuvy
This looks more Native American to me than Mexican, which would explain the chain. I'm wondering if it's not coral; I've seen plenty of coral dyed that color red.

She who dies with the most toys still dies; when's the estate sale?
Community Member

in reply to luuvy
Sorry for the bad pictures. I guess they're ok for an auction but not very good for trying to figure out what the heck this stone is. When I posted this, I figured it would be something simple.

Now I am even wondering if I should attempt to sell this. I basically have a necklace of unknown origin, from an unknown time, made with an unknown material. Doesn't really seem like the makings of a great auction ?:smileyindifferent: KWs would definitely be a challenge!

I really appreciate everyone's help on this.
lexy143
Community Member

in reply to luuvy
It is somewhat NA in look but not usual for the markings nor the chain.
The gold flecks are what are confusing, Coral doesn't have them and I can't think of a natural red stone that does.