eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
lucidlynn
Community Member

Ring stamped 14K but has no maker's mark. Is it fake?

I recently purchased a very substantial gold ring that was advertised to be SOLID 14K ( stamped) gold. When I received it I found that although it does have a 14K stamp on the inside it DOES NOT have a maker's mark. I thought that U.S. regulations required that all rings stamped with karat weight must also bear a maker's mark. Is this correct?

The ring is advertised as new old stock from a closed jewelry store from many years ago. It has a ruby gemstone that the seller states is from Bangkok. Perhaps the ring was made there too but I'm not sure about that. Also, the underside of the ring has some rather sloppy areas where it looks like a layer of gold over another layer and there are a few small but deep nicks. This is not what I would expect from fine solid gold jewelry that is advertised as 'new'.

If anyone can advise me about the 14K stamp without a maker's mark I would appreciate it. I am suspecting that this ring may actually be gold-plated and not solid. It is rather heavy at around 8 grams and is a size 61/2.

Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Ring stamped 14K but has no maker's mark. Is it fake?

in reply to lucidlynn
I wouldn't be concerned about the lack of a makers mark - most of the US jewelry that I purchase doesn't have one. I'm not aware of a regulation requiring one. That being said, take the ring and have it tested, a pawn shop or jeweler would be able to do it.
Please use plain text.
owl4343
Community Member

in reply to lucidlynn
US law does not require that a piece of jewelry be stamped at all. But if a maker stamps a piece with the metal quality, such as 14K, then they must stamp their trademark also.

But old jewelry may not be marked, and a lot of new jewelry being imported isn't either, despite the law.

With the way you describe the ring, you should have it tested to be sure it's 14K.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lucidlynn
One thing to think about is I have bought rings only marked with the caratage or partial caratage and no maker. This is sometimes due to the fact the ring was resized and if it was done well you will not notice the resizing. got pics?
Please use plain text.
lucidlynn
Community Member

in reply to lucidlynn
Hi all and thanks for the responses.

The ring is new and has not been resized so there was never a maker's mark that might have been removed. However I did have a chance to take it to a couple of jewelers who examined the ring since my earlier posting. They didn't do any kind of testing on it. They only looked at it under a loop and weighed it but they seemed to have no doubt at all that it was real solid gold and that the ruby was genuine. They also said that I should not be concerned about the ring not having a maker's mark. One store wasn't even aware that it was required and said they see many rings without it. They also said that the flaws in the ring are nothing suspicious especially if it is a custom made ring. I checked back with the seller and she said it was custom made by a vietnamese artisan that she commissioned to make jewelry for her store. She said the stone was acquired in Bangkok but the ring was made here in the U.S.
The ring is over 20 years old so maybe they weren't aware of the regulation either. Anyway, it's a very beautiful ring so I'm just going to enjoy it and trust that it is all genuine.
Please use plain text.
fireyfoxy
Community Member

in reply to lucidlynn
In the USA, requirements are fairly strict. Gold must be marked with the makers mark IF the item has a quality(karat) mark. What this means is if a manufacturer is going to mark a karat on an item, the maker must also put their personal makers mark on the item. This much like writing a check then signing it. The maker is responsible to the truthfulness of the “quality mark”. Imported goods must have marks that comply with federal standards in the USA and exported goods must meet the standards of those countries. It is different for items purchased in foreign countries. So i would be wary of the ring.Have a jeweler do a actual acid test instead of just looking at the piece.You were right to worry
Please use plain text.
lucidlynn
Community Member

in reply to lucidlynn
Hi Again,
Well, I was just feeling comfortable with the information I received from a well-respected jewelry store (family owned for over 25 years) that my ring was solid gold and not to be concerned that there was no maker's mark along with the 14K stamp. Then came the last post from fireyfoxy who urged me, as a couple other posters did, to have the ring tested. So, I took it to another jeweler since I needed to have a watch repaired anyway and he also said that there was no need for a test as he was quite sure it was solid gold. However, the test only costs $3 so I insisted that they do it. Well, it turns out that both the jewelers were correct as it tested positive at 14k. He also said, as the other jeweler said, that it is not uncommon at all to see solid gold rings that are karat stamped but without a maker's mark. In fact, the jeweler who tested the ring admitted that they no longer put a maker's mark on their custom made pieces because the stamper broke eight years ago and they never bothered to get a new one. Apparently although it is a regulation, it is not really enforced except perhaps for large manufacturers.

So there you have it. It is quite possible and not uncommon at all for a piece of jewelry in the U.S. to be stamped for gold content without also having a maker's mark.
Please use plain text.
americannorseman
Community Member

in reply to lucidlynn
I have a gold fob that is the same way it's stamped 14k but that's all, it was my great grandfathers and its been tested and is real, would be nice to get some history on it.
Please use plain text.
pre1840lorraine
Community Member

in reply to americannorseman
You might want to start your own post instead of digging up 3 year old post.
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lucidlynn

Hi

A lot of jewellery is not stameped.  That is how I get my stuff from markets.

By what you have said about appearance I would get it tested.  The stone as well should be done

So your better of with a Gemologist as pawnbrokers will not really tell you.  And with the synthetics on the market use someone who knows what they are doing because even jewellers are fooled these days.

Wildwood

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to lucidlynn
DO NOT look at feedback for jewelry sells
Please use plain text.