eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Problems with bidding

Hello!

I was wondering if anyone can explain to me what may have happened or what I did wrong.  - I was bidding the other day on an item I really wanted to buy, so I placed a bid (30 pounds) and then put in a maximum bid (first at 100 pounds, then I canged it to 155 pounds), and asked for ebays automatic bidding. - Just one other person placed a bid, so my bid around 30 pounds was in the lead and when the bidding was ending I was watching it on the computer. In the final minute the bid suddenly rose to 100 pounds and I thougt someone had overbid me in the last minute. - When I checked I saw that this final bid (100 pounds) was in my name. 

I don't understand, because I thought that automatic bidding only rose step by step, and only if someone overbid you. I didn't complain though because I was really happy to buy this item, but I don't want things like that to happen again. Can someone tell me what happened there. I didn't place this final bid manually, I thought that I was getting the item for 30 pounds since I was in the lead and noone else was bidding....

Kind regards

Margret

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Problems with bidding

in reply to maggastina

You can look at the bidding history and see exactly what happened.  Sounds like there was another proxy bidder.  

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to maggastina

Somebody else DID bid, just 20 seconds before the auction ended. You aren't the only person who can place a bid that's much higher than the current high bid showing!

Screen Shot 2013-09-24 at 7.43.49 AM.png

Please use plain text.
woodland_gnome
Community Member

in reply to maggastina

I don't understand, because I thought that automatic bidding only rose step by step, and only if someone overbid you

Totally erroneous.  The "increment" only applies to: 1. the minimum a new bid must be to be accepted, and 2. the maximum the price will be over the second highest bidder's maximum bid.  A new bid must be at least 1 increment over the SHOWING "current bid",  and upon a new bid being placed the "current bid" becomes the lesser of the highest bid or 1 increment above the underbidder's highest bid (with exceptions for reserve auctions or for situations where the high bidder has multiple bids that each beat the underbid).

Further, automatic bidding is automatic.  It's not something you have to choose (or can avoid), it is simply the term eBay now uses to describe the auction format, HOW bidding works (and it is a poor choice of words that leads to many misconceptiions, such as the ones that you have).

HOW EBAY AUCTIONS REALLY WORK
eBay does not use an English Outcry auction format (bid and counterbid, going going gone to the last bidder at the full amount of the last bid) and you put yourself at a big disadvantage if you try to bid like it was such a format.

eBay's auctions use a fixed-time semi-sealed-bid modified second-price (Vickery) format. What you need to know about that:

The highest bidder (as of the end of the auction) wins, regardless of when his bid is placed (even if it was received in the last second and didn't show on your screen before your countdown got to 0), but the price is set by the SECOND highest bidder (generally that underbidder's highest bid plus 1 bid increment; less if the winner's bid is not a full increment higher than the underbid, including an earlier tie; more if needed to meet the reserve in a reserve listing; the starting bid amount set by the seller if there is only 1 bidder and no reserve).

During the auction eBay calculates and posts a "current bid", which is simply what the result would be if there is no further bid activity before the auction ends, and uses that "current bid" to set a minimum amount for new bids (1 increment over the "current bid" except for the very first bid, which need only be the "starting bid" amount set by the seller).

eBay hides the full amount of the leader's bid to the extent that it exceeds that calculated "current bid". (If the leader has made multiple bids, only those that exceed the "current bid" have their full amount hidden.) For any such hidden bid amount, eBay substitutes the "current bid" amount for the full amount of the bid.
When you bid less than what the current leader has bid before you, you become the new underbidder and the "current bid" is recalculated at 1 increment higher than your bid (unless the leader has a bid that is less than an increment higher than your bid).

Some people, including eBay, try to simplify this by drawing an analogy to an outcry auction, but one where eBay "places bids on your behalf" up to your maximum bid. This is an imperfect analogy, and in many cases people trying to apply it to a particular situation end up either oversimplifying or overcomplicating the process leading to many many misconceptions. If you want to understand how the eBay bidding process happens you need to get away from that analogy. (It is not necessary to understand it if you know and use the winning strategy below and are willing to accept the results as accurate even though you don't understand how they were arrived at.)

The only winning strategy on an eBay auction is to bid your real honest wouldn't-bid-an-increment-more TRUE maximum that you would pay for this particular item WITHOUT REGARD to what anyone else appears or doesn't appear to have bid. Since what anyone else has or will have bid by the time the auction ends is already figured into the price if you win, there is no need to try to figure it into your bid (other than to assume that someone else is likely to bid about the same amount as you, so it is a good tactic to bid a bit over the round number you likely have in mind as your true maximum to increase your odds of being on the winning side of what might have been a tie); all you need to figure is at what price point you would rather someone else get the item than you having to pay more. When you bid, early or late, or whether you put in a lesser bid(s) before your true maximum, those are tactical matters that may or may not influence the behavior of others (other bidders, potential bidders, and the seller) to your advantage or disadvantage.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to maggastina

maggastina wrote:

I don't understand, because I thought that automatic bidding only rose step by step, and only if someone overbid you. 

Were you thinking that eBay wouldn't accept any bid that was less than your final 150?

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to maggastina

Thank you everyone. That was really helpful. I thought that all bids were shown on the screen - automatic bids also. I never saw any bids between 30.50 and 102.50...

All my best

Margret

Please use plain text.
ubeladysales
Community Member

in reply to maggastina

Your listed with 1 feedback and I'd say the seller has programed setting not accepting buyers with this low FB...seems unfair but their is an option for that....they also may not accept buyers from your country.....Ask the Seller...

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to ubeladysales

ubeladysales wrote:

Your listed with 1 feedback and I'd say the seller has programed setting not accepting buyers with this low FB...seems unfair but their is an option for that......

No, there isn't.

Sellers can block a bidder with one feedback from bidding on multiple items, but they can't block that first transaction. The only bidders who can be blocked compltely are those with a negative feedback score, i.e., (-1) or worse.

Please use plain text.