eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Gift Cards
  • Sell
  • Help & Contact
  • Shop Deals

eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups is a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

citrine146
Community Member

How do I store beanie babies?

I have a small collection of beanies, about 200 pieces in total.

Some of them were displayed in a large glass cabinet whilst the duplicates & non-bear ones were kept in cardboard boxes.

I now would like to store all of them in large plastic boxes with lids. Will this be OK?
Please use plain text.
frodo49343
Community Member

Re: How do I store beanie babies?

in reply to citrine146
Hi Citrine, Sorry no one's answered your question. Stuffed toys are textiles and the consensus among collectors of textiles appears to be that they need to be able to "breathe," so air tight boxes are a no-no. Also, big ranges in temperature are bad for them. They also need to be protected from possible bug infestation, perhaps by having cedar in with them or some herbal sachets (I have found these in the moth ball section of Walmart). Moth balls aren't really great because then they would smell like moth balls. Hope that is helpful.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Please use plain text.
citrine146
Community Member

in reply to citrine146
Thanks frodo for the info.

Lucky that I haven't bought those plastic boxes yet.

How about thick cardboard boxes? At least they could breath in them and yes, put an herbal sachet or two in each box.
Please use plain text.
frodo49343
Community Member

in reply to citrine146
I reckon it depends on how long you're going to store them and for what reason. If you're storing them for some future generation (when and if Beanies ever have value again), then probably a cedar chest, wrapped in acid free paper, is the way to go.If they're only going to be stored for a couple of years, cardboard boxes are probably fine. I've often considered packing away my Beanies to free up a display case for my bears, and I was going to use cardboard boxes. (So far my Beanies are just too cute to put away, though.)
Please use plain text.
toysaver
Community Member

in reply to citrine146
I have a small collection of beanies, about 200 pieces in total.

Some of them were displayed in a large glass cabinet whilst the duplicates & non-bear ones were kept in cardboard boxes.

I now would like to store all of them in large plastic boxes with lids. Will this be OK?

I say go for the plastic. I have doll collections stored in them and do check and go through the boxes every year or so. I also put in all the little dissectent? absorbent packs I get in shoes and the like.
Please use plain text.
citrine146
Community Member

in reply to citrine146
I now know that it can be stored either in a cardboard or plastic case as long as the necessary precautions are taken.

I do check my beanies at least every six months and I've been doing the same since 1994, the year when I had my first set of beanies.

What I've also done with my more precious/ older ones, mostly bears, are to put each inside an old stocking. It keeps the dust away & hang tags in place.

The worst thing is checking them one day and finding out that they've all gone moldy
Please use plain text.
frodo49343
Community Member

in reply to citrine146
Textiles are very hard to preserve--if you watch Antiques Roadshow, you've seen how excited they get when they see 100+ year old textiles come in. What one is trying to avoid would be situations like dry rot, where an item may look just fine, but when you touch it you find it has become brittle and delicate and will rip right open. I am not sure how modern textiles react to different types of storage, since not all are natural fibers (like cotton and wool). However, to get an idea of how time changes textiles, all one has to do is look at a 100 year old teddy bear. Once it was a hardy toy that was dragged around by a toddler with little harm done. 100 years later, even the best preserved teddy has become something to admire on a shelf and can't possibly withstand toddler abuse. Such teddies that weren't stored well become so delicate they can't be touched at all, lose all their hair, fade, their seams split open, etc. If the goal would be to preserve a textile toy long enough that someone two or three generations down the line can bring it to a futuristic road show, then the item has to receive the best possible storage conditions. Sunlight, heat, sealing in plastic and bugs seem to be the enemies of textiles.
Please use plain text.
citrine146
Community Member

in reply to citrine146
Hi frodo, thanks once again for your comments.

I've decided on using large cartons instead. Already bought a few good quality sturdy ones, pleasing to the eye, somewhat decorative, which I could also display on our bookcase. This way, I could easily reach & check on them on regularly.
Please use plain text.