cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

maddog1273
Adventurer
I just sold a few items and noticed eBay took 12% of my total....Plus PayPal (Who is owned by eBay) took another 3%......
This is ridiculous!!!!
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Is there any way to get these fees lowered for future listings. Like starting a store OR am I doing something wrong????

Any suggestions would be appreciated.....
Message 1 of 438
latest reply
437 REPLIES 437

Message 76 of 438
latest reply

you may get a winder audience at 15% but you have to put your listings for sale about 1/3 of the price that would see in your local auction site and sell them to every cheap motherf***** who will then open a case on you and have ebay/paypal duo reverse the funds back to their account, receive the inventory and have you count on your loss. Is it worth it or not?

Message 77 of 438
latest reply

lobster4hire
Enthusiast

The local auction house would bring more money that ebay - these fees are out of control. It is only a matter of time before there becomes a competitive alternative. There are 3 rounds of fees charged -- it is not possible for me to be profitable in my side business.

I have been searching around, and I've found a few sites that allow you to create your own online store for only a monthly fee, and you can advertise your stuff there.

It's good to list your store on your FB, myspace, and linkedin accounts. Also, write some quick articles and post them to ezine or article base, and link back to your store in the author signature.

Everyone should slowly start building their stores and driving traffic to them, weening themselves off of ebay.

Ebay and paypal have become far too greedy and it's time they suffer consequences. People have become dependant on ebay as a means for additional income, and now they have made the game profitable only for those who sell fake merchandise.

Message 78 of 438
latest reply

robertbottrill
Enthusiast

Yes I think they are. I am classed as a power seller but the only powerful ones are Ebay. I find it impossible to make money as between them and Paypal all the profits just slip away and to cap it all if you try to put up your prices to cover costs nobody buys as thewy all want good stuff but not prepared to pay for it. Ebay really is crap but try as I may there is no real alternative -- is there.????

Message 79 of 438
latest reply

I agree that the fees are too much. I am a newbie to selling (I've only sold a few things in the past and just recently opened a store) but I don't mind the fees as much because the items I sell (modern sewing patterns) are pretty much only going to sell on auction sites like ebay. I get a lot of purchases from people who don't have fabric or craft stores in their areas. I wouldn't have much of a clientel on my local craigslist and it's not something for a live auction. However, when I sell higher priced antiques I get irritated with the fees. Some things I do just put on Craigslist but that has its own set of hastles.

Message 80 of 438
latest reply

This problem is escalating and will eventually catch up to Ebay.

I have used it for years and it is getting out of control.

Granted bigger exposure but I will try selling on Craigslist first and it is working out.

They will see selling decline as people try elsewhere first for the bigger items.

Lesson learned for them, don't price yourself out of business.

Message 81 of 438
latest reply

passions.direct
Enthusiast

Hasn't anyone noticed that Ebay no longer has the TRAFFIC to warrant the HIGH FEES????

It has been posted all over the board where sellers are not getting any views, watchers, questions or sales. These are sellers who have TRS and have been here for 10 years or more.

Why the sudden drop in sales? Is it due to the Google Panda Update, Ebays glitches, Ebay servers going down? Could be one or all.

Message 82 of 438
latest reply

jpowell4321
Enthusiast

I am done selling here

Ebay treats us like the government treats taxpayers

Just raise fees to make more money

Well it doesnt work that way People just leave

They have ruined this once proud site

Can you say myspace, pets.com etc

It was obvious when you could no longer leave neg fb for a buyer so that now they extort you, reverse payments etc while still having the merch and ebay ignores your messages

and refuse to accept a full refund if just return the item

Ebay clearly doesnt like sellers

Well you cant have a buyer without a seller

Message 83 of 438
latest reply

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker

I am done selling here...  

Based on your DSR's, that is a wise choice.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=jpowell4321&ftab=AllFeedback

Message 84 of 438
latest reply

hey,take it easy on the poor sap 2m2m ...not hard to look so bad with only 11 ratings, only takes 1 bad transaction. 😛

Ignorance is bliss
Message 85 of 438
latest reply

kali-the-pup
Thrill-Seeker

L4D, I thought I did take it easy, it was actually three out of eleven that were at least obvious by their FB comments. With ratings like that, it is better to leave of one's own volition, than to be thrown out.

Just sayin...

Message 86 of 438
latest reply

All in all over the past months I have had my store I am sincerely not impressed with the % eBay is charging in fees!

It is bad enough now that they are making the same or more than I am 😞 😞 I am thinking of quiting my ebay store since the fees are so high! If it does not get better soon I will be forced to sell through other channels instead of spinning my wheels 😞

It is truly sad to see such high % rates for their final listing/selling fee 😞 I sure wish I had seen this before starting my store; http://www.rolbe.com/ebay.htm

I also have not been seeing my free 50 auction listings now for a couple of months. I guess it is time to file a support ticket regarding that issue!!

I am wondering though if I do away with the $15 per month fee for my store would I be better off or is the final listings/selling fee the same or higher?

Not a happy seller/customer of eBay's 😞

Message 87 of 438
latest reply

I also have not been seeing my free 50 auction listings now for a couple of months. I guess it is time to file a support ticket regarding that issue!!

Good morning Grizzly and welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

Store owners do not get the 50 free listings per month, sorry!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
Message 88 of 438
latest reply

Hasn't anyone noticed that Ebay no longer has the TRAFFIC to warrant the HIGH FEES????

It has been posted all over the board where sellers are not getting any views, watchers, questions or sales. These are sellers who have TRS and have been here for 10 years or more.

Why the sudden drop in sales? Is it due to the Google Panda Update, Ebays glitches, Ebay servers going down? Could be one or all.

Didn't notice this post back in June. I agree, traffic on eBay is way down. As a buyer, I have just stopped searching on stuff I used to look for a lot. When I search, nothing comes up on eBay over & over.

Or if I do find something, it is priced really high because sellers have had to jack up their starting prices to cover the fees and the losses from deals gone bad.

Something another poster wrote in another thread -  a question from a buyer asking for a lower price because the potential buyer couldn't justify paying new prices for something that was used. (I'm assuming this is on stuff that isn't collectible and wouldn't normally go up in value due to being a collectible & rare. ) That is also my mind set on some of the items I used to search for, and I would be able to find them about 4 years ago for 1/2 retail all the time. I'd never contact a seller & ask them to lower their price - I just don't bid on it, it doesn't sell, and eventually the sellers stop listing them.

And don't get me started again on trying to sift through the junk listings from China that try to fool me by saying USA shipping. Pages and pages of them, coming up in searches they should not even be showing me these items but the listings have those keywords in them.

I am finding my deals on other sites, more & more.

That being said, I have no idea how the other sites handle complaints. Knock on wood I haven't  had to find out!

eBay did very well in addressing complaints from buyers. I will give them that. I had a few really bad sellers over the years who didn't send things, or sent items that I'd never had bid on if they'd been described properly, flaws hidden from the photos and so on.

But in addressing the buyer problems they ran off a lot of good sellers by making them pay for the bad seller's scams.

Message 89 of 438
latest reply

blackjack134
Enthusiast

I have to agree that not only is ebay's fees are getting too expensive but there anti-seller policies make me never want to sell anything again on ebay.  Takes too long to get paid now that they own paypal as well.  Its rediculous how they have changed last couple of years.  They have made butloads of money over last decade doing nothing but providing a web site too sell on.  And guess what I have had better luck on craigslist last yr anyway.

Message 90 of 438
latest reply