cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do unpaid item strikes show up?

I just opened a case on my non-paying bidder. If he doesn't respond (and I don't think he will, as I already warned him about the pending UID) and he gets a strike, will it show up in his feedback or something? Or is the buyer the only one who will be able to see it?
Message 1 of 144
latest reply
143 REPLIES 143

Re: Where do unpaid item strikes show up?

I know, I know and I really WANT believe a 1 star bidder to just be a newbie and not someone who has started 472 accounts because they clearly have mental issues.

But, as a piker around here (6-7 months) I am quickly learning 9/10 times, they are not just a newbie with good intentions.

As it stands today, I have 3 open cases, 10 closed and 7 items I am awaiting payment for --I think maybe two of those seven will actually pay.

Prior to two weeks ago I only had to open two cases ever in 6-7 months. 

I suppose the system is all automated however it still must be a PITA for the Ebay bean counters at the corporate level. They must see all the lost revenue in non-payers and time wasted. Corporate America lives and dies by the quarter and making numbers.

Message 106 of 144
latest reply

Do you have a return policy that accepts returns gleefully ?

Or something else....

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Message 107 of 144
latest reply

I am not following you on the "accepting returns gleefully". What do you mean? (serious question, not being a wise a--)

Message 108 of 144
latest reply

"There will be no public "spankings" of deadbeat bidders on eBay. Think of it this way.... Ever make a late payment? Does the company come & put a sign on your house that reads, "Did not pay on time! A real DeadBeat!"? No, they put in your credit score, hidden from public eyes."

-I appreciate your trying to help, but that's an awful analogy. Yes it's hidden from public view, but banks, lenders, car dealers, landlords, etc can all see it. Basically people who it would help to see it, can view it. It's not hidden from EVERYONE. In this scenario, WE the sellers would be those people who it would help to be able to see those strikes. You've equated general public and seller who may need to know the buyer isn't paying as if someone not paying for an item has NO bearing on anything.

Also i'd like to add my distaste for this dumb ebay policy. Person now has 100% feedback, and no visible reprocussion for not paying. Now other sellers don't know to avoid them, which is exactly why we as sellers need to be able to see it. This wouldn't be allowed in a REAL store, why is it allowed on ebay? Like someone else said, the only way is to leave negative feedback THEN open a case. But why would I leave negative feedback BEFORE i know they're not paying? Now ebay wants me to be psychic when I sell? Yeah, OK.

Although amazon is awful too. Someone bought an item, claimed it arrived damaged, and demanded a refund ASAP. So I did it and said to send the movie back. They never sent it back, ever, they just kept it. I contacted amazon, who basically said 'sorry, you're outta luck' as if NOTHING can be done. I said 'you guys have his credit info, and proof he still has my item (never updated a return shipment tracking number) They said yes, but so what, you're still SOL.

Annoying as hell, it's so buyer lenient its not even worth it to be a seller half the time...

Message 109 of 144
latest reply

I have read this whole thread with interest as I have just encountered my first non paying buyer so was quite clueless about the process.  

My case is now closed with an unpaid strike against the offending buyer but I had questions - why couldn't I leave feedback, where does the strike show up etc.  I have found answers to all these questions in this thread so thank you for this.

Here's my 2 pennyworth.  I also feel it is unfair that non paying buyers retain their 100% feedback score with no reference to their non payment strike when a seller can receive negative feedback for no real reason if a buyer wants to play dirty (I have not had this happen to me).

I have been lucky with my buyers and sellers and this is my first ever ebay situation that has ended badly which is not too bad going.  However I have now become far more wary, even though I am merely a hobby ebayer.

I have blocked my non paying buyer on my blocked bidders list.

Message 110 of 144
latest reply

Lark....you actually read the threads looking for answers to your concerns & THEN posted , telling us of your situation..  !!!     CONGRATS !!!

Welcome to the PT-Sellers Group  !!!!

Although you've arrived at a time when the board is in decline, the threads posted here contain such a wealth of pertinent information regarding the ins and outs of selling and buying on eBay , that the content will be helpful for a long time to come.....................................or at least until eBay has another brain fart & changes stuff up again..!     LOL!!!!!

Message 111 of 144
latest reply

@deandavis22 wrote:

"There will be no public "spankings" of deadbeat bidders on eBay. Think of it this way.... Ever make a late payment? Does the company come & put a sign on your house that reads, "Did not pay on time! A real DeadBeat!"? No, they put in your credit score, hidden from public eyes."

-I appreciate your trying to help, but that's an awful analogy. Yes it's hidden from public view, but banks, lenders, car dealers, landlords, etc can all see it. Basically people who it would help to see it, can view it. It's not hidden from EVERYONE. In this scenario, WE the sellers would be those people who it would help to be able to see those strikes. You've equated general public and seller who may need to know the buyer isn't paying as if someone not paying for an item has NO bearing on anything.

Now ebay wants me to be psychic when I sell? Yeah, OK.

In reality, it is not an entirely awful analogy at all.

Although, you don't get to see the magical mystical

strikes, they can be used to your benefit.

Like banks and the other examples you have sited,

you have the ability to choose your acceptable level

to limit a deadbeat's ability to bid on your widgets...

just by setting your preferences.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html

Are you expected to be a psychic... no, but it is in your

best interest to use the limited tools eBay does allow

you to protect yourself with. Is it perfect... again, no,

but it is slightly better than nothing.

Message 112 of 144
latest reply

I totally agree with you.
As for one of the answers it beggars belief.
But these "buyers" are a complete waste of space and are having a big laugh.
Left with 100% Feedback is ludicrous.
Sellers are not given a fair shout any more
Real shame
Message 113 of 144
latest reply

@kelliblausmith wrote:

I know, I know and I really WANT believe a 1 star bidder to just be a newbie and not someone who has started 472 accounts because they clearly have mental issues.

But, as a piker around here (6-7 months) I am quickly learning 9/10 times, they are not just a newbie with good intentions.

As it stands today, I have 3 open cases, 10 closed and 7 items I am awaiting payment for --I think maybe two of those seven will actually pay.

Prior to two weeks ago I only had to open two cases ever in 6-7 months. 

I suppose the system is all automated however it still must be a PITA for the Ebay bean counters at the corporate level. They must see all the lost revenue in non-payers and time wasted. Corporate America lives and dies by the quarter and making numbers.

Just wanted to non-add, that as a "been selling for 4 month & less than 100 items sold" I have sold about 5 of my auctions to buyers with a FB of 5 or less without problems. I sent a "0" FB buyer a message welcoming her to the world of eBay shopping, thanking her for purchase & invited her to ask questions. She responded nicely, paid for the item, liked it, and left good feedback.

I do follow up on low FB buyers to see what few responses they have sent & recieved,  just to get a feel for their level of eBay sophistication, so I can baby them along if need be.

I'm guessing that high percentages of bad buyers probably has a lot to do with the catagory you are selling into & the items you are selling. There are some very high scam areas on eBay. (buyers & sellers)

----------------------------------------------------o00o---°(_)°--o00o----------------------------------------------------------------------

——————————————o00o——°(_)°——o00o————————————————

Message 114 of 144
latest reply

Please give me some solutions I live in Mexico and a money order is not valid. I have a PO Box in Laredo and an address in Texas that belongs to a friends apartment he visits on vacations.

Please advise.

Best regards

Message 115 of 144
latest reply

if they don't want you to...then you can't.

You can have your friend buy it for you and ship it to you.......maybe ?

PS...starting a new thread would serve you better than changing the title on an old one !

Message 116 of 144
latest reply

You cant leave negative feedback for a buyer anyway???? Only a buyer can to a seller!

Message 117 of 144
latest reply

I buy a lot of laptop parts on eBay to refurbish laptops I want to sell. I pay promtly and have over 1000 feedback ratings. I've found over time it's possible to go through a cycle when buying parts of having a higher percentage of parts that need to be returned because of defects or compatibility issues. Some sellers are now giving unpaid strikes on these returns which can lock out a buyers ability to purchase parts from other sellers. When this happens enough, one of two things can occur. 1. Buyers will start a new account. 2. Honest buyers will be locked out of eBay because they refuse to accept defective or incompatible parts.

Message 118 of 144
latest reply

@alaskaraoke

eBay has only 2 statuses, paid or unpaid.

Refunds show as "unpaid" in your purchase history, but these are not UPI srtikes.

The seller cannot open a UPI on a cancelled item, which is what a return / refund is.
penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 119 of 144
latest reply

AGREED

Unpaid strikes NEED to show up and ASAP on deadbeat buyer accounts

otherwise, they steal TIME (= MONEY) in that the seller cannot sell his item until either paid, buyer cancels or a week (or more) goes buy (eBay policy).

Although deadbeats are mostly cold feet or pranksters, think the worse - a competitor selling same item as you, gets YOUR item off the market by buying it (or via a friend) so he can get closer to asking price.

AGREED

Feedback, al least  from the offended party seems apropos!

It's a warning to others 

not to mention the important closure blowing off steam does to bury the hatchet.

Maybe eBay policy people are just too young

no business degrees

or more focused on their own profit picture = don't rock too many boats ...

Well, they rocked mine!

That said, this is better than Better Business Bureau ... a ONE way feedback street ... business never get warned about client sharks out ofr freebies/blood.

Message 120 of 144
latest reply