cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping fees

If the buyer pays for shipping and with my EBay shipping discount the cost to purchase a label is less, what happens to that extra money? And why is their shipping cost and taxes deducted from my total net income?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Re: Shipping fees

The buyer pays YOU for the shipping; whether you use a 'flat rate' price or 'calculated' and/or you 'add' a 'handling' charge- then YOU purchase the shipping label.

Example; shipping is charged $10. You used Calculated (because the further from you, the more they pay) and then YOU added $2 for a 'handling' fee, you would then collect $12. If the 'real' price you pay for a label is $7, YOU pocket that extra $5 (not counting ebay Final Value Fees)

The REASON they charge you on the FULL amount is because

1.) they can

2.) they want to

3.) they are MORE than transparent about it

4.) Stores have ALWAYS been charged on the Full Amount at the register, so a $1000 sale with $88 tax, the store would be the 'processing' fee on $1088.

5.) They do this for 'shipping' as well because again, the Processor charges for the FULL amount. You could be charging $25 for shipping and only paying $10, so you will pay a fee on that entire $25..because of reasons 1,2 and 3 above. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Re: Shipping fees

The extra goes into yours and eBays pocket. 
eBay charges your customer the regular price of shipping, not the discounted rate. But when you think about it, that discounted rate goes back to eBay with your shipping fee. So, if eBay charged your customer the discounted rate then charge you the shipping fee you’re out money. 
to be honest, it is illegal to do that but seeing eBay is based in Calif I’m sure they had the laws changed to suit.  Businesses can not make a profit off of 3rd party shipping.
they also charge you fees on tax collected which is a giant can of worms 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply