cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My First Returned Item :-(

My present eBay account goes back to '06, though I had a prior account and I did pretty good then as a p/t seller, when the only hassles involved the dialup connection I was using - and trying to upload clear pictures of my items.

Between then & now, I've mainly been an infrequent buyer.

Now I'm trying to make some extra cash as a seller, listing some items that I've been holding onto for a rainy day; which has arrived.

I sure wish I'd taken the time to read some feedback in these forums before trying to dive back into the selling end, as apparently things have gotten more challenging for the sellers.

Among other things it appears I'm doing incorrectly, is checking off "No Returns." From reading this forum I now understand why that's a useless option *and* an invitation to scammers, basically advertising: "I'm new here and have no idea what I'm doing."

I recently listed for auction a pair of 30 yr old Gargoyles sunglasses.
I uploaded clear, closeup pictures from all angles. In the listing, I mentioned the flaws that included light scratches and worn areas inside the lenses where the ends from the earpieces had created scuff-marks. The sunglasses included the original cardboard box, the leather case and owner's manual (all also pictured). Being aware of the collector's value for these sunglasses, I felt pretty good about auctioning them.

I was totally surprised by the winning bidder/buyer requesting a refund, claiming the glasses didn't match the description (or the pictures!) and were "unwearable." The buyer also said the sunglasses didn't appear to have been well-cared-for, as described in the listing. The complaint basically read like an accusation of fraud. The buyer included some pictures they had taken of the sunglasses that showed heavily smeared lenses, unlike the polished set I had shipped.

I bit the bullet and agreed to a return/refund, via eBay sending return postage to the buyer. Since the buyer's payment was still locked up in PayPal, there was nothing to do but wait for the return.  Go figure though, eBay followed the tracking and had already refunded the buyer via my PayPal account before I saw the return. The buyer could have return-shipped me a box of chicken bones and I'd have to prove it. (For whatever good). On inspecting the return box yesterday, I recorded the whole process on my phone-cam. (Thanks to whomever on this forum, suggested this step!) When it arrived yesterday, I was relieved to find that the buyer had shipped the glasses in the original box, including all of the accessories.No box of chicken bones. Or damage. I'm just out the two-way shipping (and eBay listing fees?)

From a lot of what I'm reading on this forum, I consider myself lucky.

Having shared my experience, my question is, is there any merit in relisting this item?
Message 1 of 1
latest reply
0 REPLIES 0