eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

Community Member

Re: eBay fees are getting too expensive!!!

in reply to bronx-dog

I started to post the fees outcome that a sale will generate on my listings. Doing so buyers finally get aware of where their money is going. I believe 100% of buyers that never listed anything for sale don't even know sellers are paying any fee at all.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to israfelli

Goodbye20funny20animated20cat20pic.gif
Community Member

in reply to carolt1897

eBay has taken their position of power and has now placed greed at the forefront of their business practice. I just sold an small item and lost money due to fees. That in conjunction with the horrible treatment of sellers and I'm out. See ya eBay.

Community Member

in reply to maddog1273
I now find things on Amazon that are less expensive than on ebay. As for selling on ebay, I'm done. It is not worth it anymore. Goodbye ebay.
Community Member

in reply to puppyasche

eBay then   -   Auctions   -    Buyer determined price  -  great deals.

eBay now   -  Binatorium  -   Seller determines price  -  very few great deals.

There are still great items on eBay, you just have to be willing to hunt for them.

Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to maddog1273

eBay sucks for buyers as much as sellers. Craigslist and all the others too anymore. You used to be able to buy used items for a great price and that was the appeal. Now, it's as though you pay slightly less than retail. What is THAT about??

Community Member

in reply to marcfl29

I agree with all complaints.  I will be cancelling my account as soon as they take the last 4.50 for a $20. item.  And, I do not think it is fair to charge .30 each for 10 pieces of sheet music...and for items that did not sell anyway (sheet music).  Better to sell locally on kijiji...even if they don't sell it does not cost anything.  Such a scam this site is becoming.

Community Member

in reply to tr827653

You get charged a fee for shipping no matter what, with calculated shipping and free shipping. There are more benefits to using free shipping, always use free shipping when ever possible. I'm not sure if they have fees on International shipping, If I remember correctly they don't.

Ebay did this because sellers where selling items for .99 cents with the price of the item in the shipping cost.

This was an item I sold back in December that had calculated shipping:

111.JPG
Community Member

[ Edited ]
in reply to heywood654

Yes any item listed in Australia for $4 to 4.50 is not worth listing anymore as the postage cost is usually $2 and then fees taken out it becomes a waste of time. Items such as books, CDs, DVDs, Blue Rays is a waste of time these days thanks to Austalia Post and Ebay and Paypals greed...Talk about slitting your own throat !

heywood654 wrote:
"How is anyone supposed to actually make a profit if ebay is taking 10%? A decent profit on an item would be 15% "

For me, a decent profit is at least 50%, AFTER eBay and Paypal take their cut. 15% before ebay and Paypal fees won't even net you minimum wage. Even if ebay cut their fees in half, your net is way below what you need to make it worth your time.

Community Member

in reply to maddog1273
"How is anyone supposed to actually make a profit if ebay is taking 10%? A decent profit on an item would be 15% "

For me, a decent profit is at least 50%, AFTER eBay and Paypal take their cut. 15% before ebay and Paypal fees won't even net you minimum wage. Even if ebay cut their fees in half, your net is way below what you need to make it worth your time.
Community Member

in reply to maddog1273

I just sold a few cheap phones and my fee was $32.50 not to mention the paypal fee as well. Then I have to spend money shipping too. If I include shipping in the aunction, they charge you % for shipping too. I'm literally losing money. Whats the point.

Community Member

in reply to maddog1273
How is anyone supposed to actually make a profit if ebay is taking 10%? A decent profit on an item would be 15% so ebay is taking 2/3 of it. On many items there isn't even enough room to make enough profit to pay ebay. I would end up at a loss if I sold some things on here.
It just seems like ebay would profit more in the long run if they made that percentage lower. More people would use their service, and what is it costing them to have someone post a listing? At these prices I think they will end up losing a BUNCH of potential customers.
Community Member

in reply to maddog1273
Yea i notice when i buy it now cheeper to go to the store the buy on ebay when i do sale i go on Craigslist its cheeper hell its free ebay is my last resort to sale stuff
Community Member

in reply to supercellfreak

I understand! They are starting to take ALL my profit and the volume sales are going straight down. More customers are asking to purchase items for a quarter of the asking price as well as free shipping. In the end it is costing more to sell than profit!

Community Member

in reply to argon-4

argon-4 wrote:
"The original poster (OP) started the thread in the year of 2010, last post (with that id) 2013."

This topic will live forever. And I was responding to the person who posted immediately before me.

Are you using a mobile app?

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Community Member

in reply to maddog1273
"The original poster (OP) started the thread in the year of 2010, last post (with that id) 2013."

This topic will live forever. And I was responding to the person who posted immediately before me.
Community Member

in reply to argon-4

argon-4 wrote:
Your career feedback as a seller is 88.9%, so I thank you for looking elsewhere.

The original poster (OP) started the thread in the year of 2010, last post (with that id) 2013.

This is getting well.......

I know I just bumped this with responding, sorry, but jciydflizudyfr;lNASmiley Frustrated

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Community Member

in reply to maddog1273
Your career feedback as a seller is 88.9%, so I thank you for looking elsewhere.
Community Member

in reply to maddog1273
I just sold something on ebay and it is the last thing I sell on ebay, they charge 10% of your final sale amount plus listing fee. I have been a member of eBay for years and liked it but now since their prices are so dang high, I will take my chances elsewhere to sell my items. Now I know why some people are making their shipping prices rediculous because they are adding shipping, handling, & listing fees all together.
Community Member

in reply to maddog1273
The people on these boards possess a wealth of knowledge. Instead of complaining that ebay doesn't tell you the best way to ship, ask for help here. BTW, fees haven't changed in almost five year.