cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question thread: Updates to item specifics and category structures

We’re rolling out new item specifics in some categories to help listings match what buyers are searching for. We’re also updating a few category structures and item specifics names—all to help customers find your listings on and off eBay. You can read more about that here. Feel free to review and leave any questions you may have below! 

Please note that eBay experts will be present and engaging on the boards between 8 am and 4:00 pm PST on 4.13.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

Re: Question thread: Updates to item specifics and category structures

Hey there,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it seems that I was less than clear regarding this issue.

As you noted there ARE existing categories for sets. My issue is that I regularly use those and in the new required item specifics you must select a "Type" which the current options are not usually suitable for set categories, as (at least for me) sets contain more than one type of product.  Sure, I can manually type in Travel Set, Gift Set or Discovery  set, etc. But the lack of consistency & such still makes it a deficiency IMHO.

Thanks, Cin

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

@cinsational4sale wrote:

Hey there,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, it seems that I was less than clear regarding this issue.

As you noted there ARE existing categories for sets. My issue is that I regularly use those and in the new required item specifics you must select a "Type" which the current options are not usually suitable for set categories, as (at least for me) sets contain more than one type of product.  Sure, I can manually type in Travel Set, Gift Set or Discovery  set, etc. But the lack of consistency & such still makes it a deficiency IMHO.

Thanks, Cin

We appreciate the follow-up @cinsational4sale and we'll be sure that feedback is passed on to the relevant team. 

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

I sell wheels and tires on eBay Motors. Almost all of the item specifics asked for our currently included in my descriptions and I see they are searchable on eBay. It would take me lots of extra time to manually fill out all the same info into the separate fields.  I feel like the goal of helping buyers is accomplished without all the extra time to manually add them. Will that work for eBay's standards?

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

What does the (R) in the LEGO categories mean?

Registered trademark- probably something LEGO Ⓡ is requiring and it helps to make it clear that other brand building blocks are not permitted in those categories.

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

I got an ebay message today about:

ACTION REQUIRED: Condition related Multi-SKU variants are being removed in particular categories

Is this message related to these new changes?  I do have a few variation listings but have no idea what "Condition Related" means?  I see no options to specify different conditions:

"very good,” “good,” “Grade A,” “Grade B”  as stated in the message I got

in variation listings.  Why did I get this message?

Message 20 of 47
latest reply

@babclassics wrote:

ACTION REQUIRED: Condition related Multi-SKU variants are being removed in particular categories

Is this message related to these new changes?  I do have a few variation listings but have no idea what "Condition Related" means?  I see no options to specify different conditions:

@babclassics- That's really interesting. I can take a guess after viewing your variation listings for dishes. eBay may be restriction variations specifically to NEW product in some categories. Your variations are for used items- and for different products in the same listing (cups, plates, etc)- which is not how eBay wants variations to work. They're supposed to be variations of the same product. That aside- the message you relayed sounds like eBay might be restricting variations to new product in certain categories.

Message 21 of 47
latest reply

@babclassics wrote:

Not necessarily @babclassics. The category changes noted in this update won't take place until May 17th. The email you received about custom multi-SKU variant options being removed in certain categories will take place on May 16th. 

Message 22 of 47
latest reply

@petencharlie wrote:

For Toys, what is considered as a figurine?

I have several plush dolls, mostly from the Sesame Street and Muppets lines.

And do puzzles remain the same, or are they in a different category?

Only Building Toys categories are impacted with these changes @petencharlie. All other areas of toys will be unaffected.

Message 23 of 47
latest reply

seller_update@ebay wrote:

@babclassics wrote:

Not necessarily @babclassics. The category changes noted in this update won't take place until May 17th. The email you received about custom multi-SKU variant options being removed in certain categories will take place on May 16th. 

seller_update@ebay- Several sellers are confused by this e-mail. Could someone from the Community Team join in the discussion to answer those questions? It's posted here-

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/quot-Item-Conditions-quot-email/m-p/32852295#M1980659

Message 24 of 47
latest reply

@babclassics wrote:

OK, fair enough.  But that does not answer my question.  I do have variation listings but NONE in any of the categories stated in the message and none that use "condition related variants".  So was this email sent to everybody who has ANY variation listings regardless of what category they are in or what variant options we use?

The message states "ACTION REQUIRED" but does not give a list of effected listings?

Update: I did not see @coffeebean832 reply till after I posted.  So I second that request.

Message 25 of 47
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

What does the (R) in the LEGO categories mean?

@coffeebean832 was on the nose @toomuchstuffagain35. This was a request by LEGO brand for the (R) to represent the fact that LEGO is a registered trademark.

Message 26 of 47
latest reply

Item specifics in the stamps category use corrupted terminology borrowed from coins instead of sources like the Scott catalog of US Stamps and Covers. Listing non-collectible books is now so difficult that a dumpster for disposal is a less costly alternative.

Truly useful item specifics and item condition are missing in the Stamps Category. Catalog number (and catalog) and condition Used and Unused, that existed at one time, are the most needed, but missing, item specifics. Required item specifics like Certification (should be Certificate) apply to less than 5% of listings and should be recommended, not required. No one trusts seller self-graded stamps, so the only useful item specific for Grade would be numeric grades from recognized expertizing committees. Three out of the four US expertizing committees provide grading, one does not. Expertizing committee name and the certificate number should be mandatory if the stamp has ever been certified. If multiple certs exist, all should be listed. Quality, which primarily relates to gum condition and presence of a cancel could be required but standard terminology, without abbreviations, should be used. Color and Denomination are useless because filters are bounded. "Smart" filters are needed to convert abbreviations and synonyms to phrases is also needed. Grade "Fine to very fine" should be the value, not some abbreviation like "F-VF", the standard, or some variant like FVF. The abbreviation "F/VF? exists only on eBay and appears to exist because of a design flaw in the eBay search engine.

Stamp collectors dislike "best match" search and few collectors use it. After eBay informed me that the Color item specific for a red orange stamp should be changed to "orange" for "better visibility" I wondered if looking like an idiot would be worth the cost of "better visibility". I concluded that credibility is more important than visibility.

While I can see the benefit of using well designed item specifics to help eliminate some categories. For example, some United States stamps are split into used and unused categories. At one time eBay supported item condition values of "Used" and "Unused" but later removed them before they could be used instead of separate categories.

I do not understand why eBay believes that item specifics can be successfully applied to listings after the fact.  When I first learned that eBay would be defining item specifics, I started incorporating properties and attributes from the Scott catalog into listings as item specifics that could be used to build descriptions. That project eliminated about 80% of the repetitive data entry after a catalog was built. Each Scott catalog number implies a set of properties like denomination, year of issue, subject or topic, design, color, and technical details, important to collectors, like perforations, watermarks, and printing method. Attributes related to production or usage map into item specifics like grade (centering), quality (gum condition), format (single or multiple), or cancels.  Since most item specifics derive from the catalog, I started using it to build listings. It is unfortunate that eBay ignored the Scott catalog and attempted to invent new terminology borrowed from coins. I cannot change item specifics that define listings to match eBay's "required" values. It is relatively easy to populate the eBay required item specifics with existing values. Failure to match in search filters does not seem to matter, suggesting that some or most eBay item specifics are irrelevant. I continue to populate attribute or condition item specifics consistent with Scott catalog definitions without impact on sales. Buyers who attempt to use the eBay filters may get random results and then stop using them. There are enough sellers of poorly described stamps or stamps with undescribed faults to satisfy buyers who happen to find them using eBay's best match or filters. Properly described faulty stamps can be more easily found by searching by price from high to low.

Message 27 of 47
latest reply

@babclassics wrote:

@babclassics wrote:

OK, fair enough.  But that does not answer my question.  I do have variation listings but NONE in any of the categories stated in the message and none that use "condition related variants".  So was this email sent to everybody who has ANY variation listings regardless of what category they are in or what variant options we use?

The message states "ACTION REQUIRED" but does not give a list of effected listings?

Update: I did not see @coffeebean832 reply till after I posted.  So I second that request.

We're trying to see if this was sent to all sellers using custom multi-SKU variant options or not. It sounds like you don't sell in any of those categories though @babclassics, so our guess is that all multi-variation sellers got it. We'll follow-up with whatever we find out if we get the answer today, otherwise, we'll have the Community team follow-up when there is news to share.  

Message 28 of 47
latest reply

This is sounding like weeks of work again to update and change stuff based on new requirements. When you have tons of listings, I don't think you (ebay) realize the hours of work it takes to sit here and change everything. Its daunting and stress. Why not just leave things alone? Too many geeks steering the wheel again on these platforms. 

Message 29 of 47
latest reply

Then  why have some sellers GENUINE Lego minifigure listings been moved to the generic Building Toys Minifigures?  Even though they also have the Brand IS as Lego.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 30 of 47
latest reply