cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

@ilivewith3cavemen wrote:
"If a buyer emails me and says "I received the item and it's great, blah, blah, blah", then yes, I will leave them feedback first"
You mean last, AFTER the buyer has GONE TO THE TROUBLE of contacting you.
And as to "honest feedback" - were you paid? Yes? then give honest feedback. Easy Smiley Happy

Message 91 of 425
latest reply

A seller IS able to leave negative feedback for a buyer - ONLY IF THE BUYER DOES NOT PAY.

Message 92 of 425
latest reply

That works BOTH ways. As a seller i started out giving feedback as soon as payment was receive but SOON found out i didn't get nearly as many feedback as i sent out. The buyer got they're aution and a positive feedback so just forget the seller The got what they wanted That's why i don't leave feedback first. If it were manditory for a buyer to give a feedback then i would GLADLY leave one as soon as payment is received.

Message 93 of 425
latest reply

@9547philip wrote:

A seller IS able to leave negative feedback for a buyer - ONLY IF THE BUYER DOES NOT PAY.

WRONG! sellers can't leave negative feedback, PERIOD. a false positive for a buyer cab be reported and removed,and you the seller will get a policy violation.

very bad move,and very bad advice,DON'T DO IT!

Message 94 of 425
latest reply

@9547philip wrote:

NOT-we have not been able to do that for YEARS!

As a seller, I no longer instantly leave feedback because of some dishonest buyers who get an item, claim something is wrong, but they refuse to return it and just want a partial refund. this happens too often. If you dont like it, just say so and send it back. If it is broken, a partial refund wont fix it, so send it back.  If you are just trying to get some money, sorry. Send the item back and I'll refund. THIS is why I no longer leave FB for buyers right away. 

Example: Buyer: Toy arrived buy doesnt talk. 

Me: oodd, it was talking when I packaged it. Please send it back for a refund.

Buyer: I can't send it back because my son already saw it and was playing with it and I cant take it from him. 

Me: Please send it back for a refund.

Buyer: I can't send it back. I bought this for a gift and I need it within a week and no time to get another. I'm going to have to wrap it and give it to him broken.

Me: I thought he was already playing with it?

Buyer: Well, that was my other child. I let one of them play with it.

Me: Please send it back. I have another I can send as a replacement or refund, your choice. 

Buyer: Files SNAD: doesnt have to return, ebay refunds! 

Buyer gets 50.00 toy that certainly was working and all of her money back! 

THOSE are the kind of people that made me stop leaving instant FB. 

Message 95 of 425
latest reply

I've been away from ebay purchases for almost a year and got a new job and it's Christmas time so I'm back to buying the past month or so.  Since I've been back I've noticed  the sellers are usually not leaving feedback after my prompt payments.  What's up with this?  I'm not raising the roof over this but after several purchases now it's getting a bit frustrating.  Just curious as to what people have been saying lately.  I hate to adopt a "no feedback given" policy because I've sold items myself.  For that matter I sold something this summer for much needed cash and did not get any feedback as a seller.  I asumed no feedback in that case was good feedback, lol.  Thanks for any info.

Message 96 of 425
latest reply

it's in the works to change the feedback system in the spring. it will,at least for buyers,go to just a transaction count,in which each added point just shows that you paid.

we're all waiting with bated breath to see what ELSE will be involved in this change,it could be many things both good and bad. for both sides.

Message 97 of 425
latest reply

The thing about feedback these days is that for buyers, it says absolutely nothing at all.  Well, perhaps it says that they've purchases few, or a lot, of items on eBay, but it doesn't tell sellers a thing about the quality of that buyer and what they might be like to deal with.  The worst, nastiest buyers online will all have 100% positive feedback, as that is all that eBay allows sellers to hand out.  Woman LOL 

There are some buyers who still desire that little *pat on the head*.. that little *gold star* of a positive feedback left for them, so many sellers still hand that out.  Some do at the time a buyer pays for his purchase.  Others on the day the item shows as having been delivered.  Whatever is their time of doing their feedbacks.

Tons and tons of buyers aren't leaving feedback for sellers at all anymore.  The thing is.. it's really sort of a hassle.  We don't jot out a little note for the stores we shop in either.  We rarely fill in those little How-Are-We-Doing? cards.  We don't order at hardly any online catalogs/stores and then send them feedback remarks about how we think they did in processing our order.

If there is a problem, buyers will certainly let their sellers know, as we'd expect.  Other than that, many don't bother.

It's really sort of an archaic system when you stop and think about it and how poorly it works, how unreliably it sometimes unfolds.

Message 98 of 425
latest reply

Sellers have the monopoly on complaining about transactions. When I started buying on Ebay 10 years ago buyers had virtually no rights. I was double charged. Items were simply not sent and my money was taken. Ebay gave no recourse back in the day. I would say back then when buyers had all the risk and sellers got their money either way, it was definitely the norm for sellers giving feedback first. 

From what I've read of modern complaints from sellers, there's 2 reasons sellers are now compelled to hold out. 1. Purely to be petty and get revenge if someone gives them well earned negative feedback. I've been through this in the past where a seller screwed me over but I didn't give them negative feedback because I know they'd just give me negative feedback too. 

This makes me glad ebay removed your option to give negative feedback. Your comments here already prove your incentive to use feedback as a tool to manipulate or punish people who are just being honest. 

The second reason, that buyers can scam the system seems dubious to me, but if it happens, then I can see why you'd hold off. You claim it's because sellers say their item never arrived, but has that actually happened to any of you? I don't see how ebay would side with a buyer if your tracking information shows the item was delivered. 

But even in those .01% of occassions where the buyer might be a jerk, what excuse do you have a week or two after delivery? At that point you know **bleep** well you're just holding it hostage. Which comes to the final dynamic, sellers should give feedback first because they have every incentive to get feedback, and none to give it. 

Pretty much the ONLY incentive a seller has to give a buyer feedback is so the buyer will too. The buyer has nothing. To the buyer's benefit, the buyer needs nothing, because they don't really need feedback. Which means the seller is always the one with the burden of courtesy. Just because some of your customers don't reciprocate shouldn't affect your performance. If you owned a brick and mortar store and had a policy of thanking your customers after they made a purchase, would you stop if one or two of them don't thank you back? You're being petty to your own detriment. Playing this hostage game, only the seller is the loser. 

Message 99 of 425
latest reply

Up until a few months ago, i scanned the picture of the package, messaged the bidder and included the picture so they know what to expect in the mail and left feedback for them,,,,I have so many that have not left feedback for me tghat it is outrageous.....By the bidder leaving feedback for the seller, it shows ebay that the package arriuved safely......If feedback is b=not left by the bidders, then we sellers have no idea if it was received or not.......So now i try to wait until the bidder has left for me. I used to leave everything on the day it was shipped but bidders h=just dont appreciate anything....I now keep the emails for 90 days until it is taken off the ebay system and after thatm i just delete all messages, pictures etc etc etc .....If the bidders want to play hard ball, then the sellers must play the same way....regards OIO

Message 100 of 425
latest reply

Hi,

The word is spelled, retaliatory, not retalitory.

Message 101 of 425
latest reply

What ever you say dear (

Message 102 of 425
latest reply

I give feedback when the item is shipped so all relative markings next to their name are darkek=ned and i know the sale is finnished....As well as that i putrposely scan  a picture o the package , not for the customer necessarilly but simply so ebay has it all on record what was sent......I cannot scan it once it is postmarked as it then is the property of the post office up until delivery......

Then once the bidders have received the iitem, they dont leave feedback and i say is is sheer laziness and nothing else....That makes it hard for the seller and ebay as we dont have any idea if it arrived or not.....A lot odf people do not unpdate new adresses in their ebay account and therefore we send to the old one as that is what was stated inside the details of the ebay account,,,,After all thet, the bidder leaves a negative and it ios not our fault as we sellers are not mind readers..... One day ebay woill wake up and see how much damage they have done to their site and maybe allow everyone to leave what is firt for feedback......I try to pick and choose who i leave feedback fgor and if there is a slow payer, i will not leave until they have left for me.....I recently sold about a dozen pieces of jewellry and once custi=omer paid me within hours of close...it was even before i sent the account so did their package before all other people as i wanted to reply with good fast service......Shame others cant be the same but i guess that is asking way too much of of the majority of the population in ebay.....OIO

Message 103 of 425
latest reply

i tend to agree with you but the fact sellers can make a black name on anyone they want, just block them....

Message 104 of 425
latest reply

buyers get tyheir thrill by leaving negs....I am sure of it

Message 105 of 425
latest reply