cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Here is the reason I'm starting to do what you detest. I'm starting out in ebay. I've only sold 7 items and recieved resopnses from two. Had 14 items more that didn't sell and since feedback is somewhat proportionate to sales I feel these only two feedbacks have hurt my sales.I've contacted these people and ebay has contacted them,still no go from them. I've massaged all these buyers with flourishig remarks which shows up in their positive accolade column, yet still response. I applaud people such as you and others who reciprocate with feedback. But as far as the deadbeats I'm through buttering thier butts. I personally think this feedback system is overrated. My proposal is to give the buyer a certain amount of time to bay for the item or they loose it.If the item is a scam,defective, broke, or not as represented let the buyer, ebay and seller handle it. Most of these insincere comments on buyers responses or how great the product is a waste of time. After the deal goes through satisfactorliy. All ebay has to say is good buyer, good sellerThe feedback system definitly needs reworking to an even and fair degree

Message 76 of 425
latest reply

@knightcarver1952-us wrote:

But as far as the deadbeats I'm through buttering thier butts.

You consider someone a "deadbeat" because they don't leave feedback? Oh, you'll go far.

Message 77 of 425
latest reply

On my selling account, I make sure I give every single buyer their little *pat on the head* feedback.  So many really are 'fed' by that little comment, despite the fact that they ALL receive only positives, so buyer feedback is basically meaningless anymore. 

And I'd be thrilled if I never received another feedback on my selling account, ever again.  It's way up close to 1,000 feedbacks, and perfect now.  I've worked really hard to be a great seller and do a wonderful job in every area of my selling.  But I know that sooner or later I'll run into a crazed loon who'll leave a big red neg for me.  Woman LOL

Message 78 of 425
latest reply

There is definitely no rule against sellers for this.  FB is optional.  You have over 300 FB's.  Is getting more going to win you a prize?  No, it's not. 

You do not deserve FB for paying.  It is your responsibility to pay & if you don't pay you get an unpaid strike.  FB is based on the whole transaction.  There are many horrible buyers who cause nothing but problems for a seller.  They try to cancel after the item is shipped.  They lie & complain about the item because they are trying to get a discount on the item.  They complain about shipping, even though shipping was clearly shown in the listing.  They lie & say they received an empty pkg.  They send back an item, but it's not the item that you sent them.  Etc. etc. etc.  So please don't tell me that the buyer should have positive FB just for paying. 

I have over 1000 FB's.  I am not selling on Ebay for FB's.  Are you buying on Ebay just for FB's?  I don't care if I ever get another FB.  All I care about is that the transaction goes smoothly & my customer is happy.  If they want to leave me FB for that, then that's nice.  If not, fine.  I always leave FB as soon as I get it.  If I don't get FB from the buyer, I still leave FB with a thank you around day 58.  If I get less than positve FB from a buyer, I don't leave any at all, because that's all we can do. 

Every time a buyer comes on here complaining about not getting FB first, I feel like I'm back in grade school.  "Oh, Billy didn't leave me FB, so I'm not leaving him FB." 

=^^= Save a stray today.
Message 79 of 425
latest reply

I am not a seller but believe it's the responsibility of the buyer to leave first feedback on the item received, i.e., was it as described, was it shipped within a reasonable timeframe, was the seller quick to satisfy any inquiries.

Let's be fair - Once the seller ships & notifies the buyer with a tracking number, the buyer has completed the last task and now the ball is in the buyer's court. With feedback, you let the seller know you've received the item and are satisfied with the transaction. I like to encourage sellers and always drop an email to those who went above and beyond, thanking them. For example, if I purchase an old doll, I send them a picture of it restored because that's one of my hobbies. They always thank me.

Folks, buyers need sellers and sellers need buyers. There should be mutual respect and no one has the right to wreck havoc on another's sense of internal joy. I don't think negative feedback (can turn into childish mudslinging) is useful. A seller can contact the buyer if unhappy and work things out to mutual satisfaction as adults - It's just a transaction and no-one is out to get anyone. If unable to do so, eBay has buyer protection policies and dispute cases can be opened for a 3rd party eBay decision. It's that simple!

Yes, I have experienced terrible sellers, who deserved to be shut down! However, I understand that a seller is simply someone trying to earn a little extra cash and most are willing to work with you. eBay knows how to deal with violators of their policies - There is no need for some of the nastiness I've seen in the form of blanket feedback comments. If a buyer feels that strongly about a negative transaction, just contact eBay - I have!

I didn't know sellers couldn't leave negative feedback for buyers. That alone creates an unfair imbalance for trolls or what I refer to as cyber jackals. I think eBay should rethink the feedback system and create a simpler "rating system" for each transaction, where boxes are simply checked off, without all of that commenting - All that can be addressed within the boxes. That, along with their dispute system is sufficient and will streamline the process.

Love all - Trust few - Do wrong to none.  - Wm Shakespeare

"Love All.....Trust Few.....Do Wrong To None! Wm. Shakespeare
Message 80 of 425
latest reply

eBays policy on feedback leaving is very simple and applies to both buyers & sellers equally - IT IS OPTIONAL

I leave 100% feed back on items I buy (about 80 items) and only get 60% back on item I sold (over 1208 items) adn I do better than most sellers I've talked with - but that is OK because IT IS OPTIONAL.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 81 of 425
latest reply

Periodically, I have received feedback before I even shipped an item, about 1  a year.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 82 of 425
latest reply

I am a seller and give feedback, but i have a lot of buyers who wont give me feedback. I dont think that is fair.

Message 83 of 425
latest reply

As a seller - I always leave feedback as the item is shipped out and follow up with an email to the customer that I am shipping it out.  It is a bummer that more than 1/2 of the buyers usually do not leave feedback at all - but that's the way it goes I guess.

Message 84 of 425
latest reply

Sellers love getting paid quickly, who wouldn't? But just because you pay quickly does not warrant instant feedback, which is completely voluntarily according to eBay's policy. To boot, some sellers require that you pay immediately when using "Buy it Now", so its not so much that the buyer paid immediately out of goodness, but had no choice to do so before bidding/buying because of the seller requirements. Why should a seller wait? In case the buyer leaves unjustified negative feedback, I would feel like **bleep** knowing I left praise for that buyer. I am not a power-seller and I rely on my feedback, being someone who uses eBay as a tool for buying and selling.

I do agree however, that lately sellers have been waiting to receive positive feedback from the buyer first before giving any. I believe this is due to eBay's change in policy that prevents sellers from leaving negative feedback for buyers, but buyers who deserve it. I use a strict ethical code when listing my auctions, descriptions, and shipping info. I like to believe because of this, I've never had any complications with buyers, with the exception of one customer who never paid or replied to emails. 

What you have to realize is feedback is a two-way street, and leaving blind feedback is not good (for both sellers and buyers), in case the buyer makes illegitimate claims. In my opinion, the buyer should leave feedback first, but only after they receive their product and it's in the condition stated on the listing, matches the images, and ships within a timely manner. In turn, positive feedback should be left ASAP for that buyer.

So what about the buyer that genuinely has a discrepancy with the product they received, let's say due to the fact it didn't match the description in some way. That buyer is entitled to return that item, but he/she should first inform the seller, at least giving the benefit of the doubt. If the seller doesn't respond or at least try to accommodate you, then negative feedback for the seller would be appropriate. Most disappointed buyers see the feedback system as a means to "take revenge" on a seller, not even giving the seller a chance. The seller then can not even defend themselves because eBay is a buyer's market, and doesn't allow sellers to leave neutral or negative feedback. If the seller is willing to sort out his or her customer in a positive way, then the seller is being responsible and either no feedback should be left, or at least tell people you had a problem with the item and the seller worked with you. Instead we get all caps warning potential buyers to steer clear of this seller, or "Don't Buy", never having even tried to contact the seller. And sellers are supposed to feel encouraged to leave blind feedback? It can be discouraging at times.

As a buyer, I don't expect feedback from a seller right after I pay for an item, or even before I leave them feedback ( I try to look at everything from both sides, and I buy and sell regularly on the awesomeness that is eBay). Once I receive my product and I'm satisfied, then I'll leave praising feedback. At this point, I expect the seller to reply in kind, at least within 1 working week. People think their feedback number is like their Twitter followers, I assure you it's not the case. If I make a purchase, pay immediately, and personally don't believe the product matches the listing once it arrives (which it should, no excuses here sellers - Always be honest and accurate), I would first contact the seller and try to work it out in a professional manner. If the seller sorts me out, perfect, I'll even leave positive feedback if I am accommodated nicely. If the experience is a negative one, then I feel its my responsibility to note of that in the feedback.

In conclusion, I realize there will always be 2 schools of thought on this subject, and buyers and sellers are entitled to their opinions on these boards. Members who are not power-sellers are skeptical of leaving feedback before the buyer because they fear suffering inaccurate & unfair feedback and doesn't want to risk giving praise if there's gonna be a problem later on, thus the waiting game begins. While writing this I understand the buyer's perspective a little more. Personally I don't mind not getting instant feedback from a seller, as long as I get it eventually, I'll be a happy eBayer. But always remember that feedback is optional.

The long and short of it in my opinion: Doesn't actually matter who leaves feedback first, as long as both parties leave accurate feedback and contact each other directly if any discrepancies, then that should be enough.

This post was not meant to offend or take sides, but simply offer my thoughts. Thank you for reading.

Remember, online shopping is supposed to be fun. We shouldn't assume the worst of buyers and sellers. This thread has also inspired me to leave blind feedback for a buyer who paid for an item right away.

Namaste 

Message 85 of 425
latest reply

I don't leave feedback until the buyer has the item and I assume that they are satisfied with it, which I give them a two week window before I leave feedback. I have read here on the discussion boards that sometimes buyers will get an item and smash it up and then want a refund or partial refund or say that the item was not as described and want to keep the item and get a refund or partial refund (I actually experienced this one). So I am wary now of leaving feedback too quickly.
But after that two weeks, I leave all positive feedback if payment was prompt.
Message 86 of 425
latest reply

I feel you man. i am dealing with this right now. 10+ buyers, and not one of them gave feedback. Buyers now in days are too lazy to have the humane courtesy to leave a feedback.
Message 87 of 425
latest reply

I have been using Ebay since 1999 and when you bought something from a seller, the moment you paid in a timely manner you completed your part of the deal and got your feedback. When the buyer receives it, they leave the feedback for the seller if it was packaged well and sent fast.  Now that is all gone to hell.  Now the seller waits until they get their feedback, and if they shipped the package a month later and never answered a message, and you leave him a negative, even though you paid the same day, he leaves you a negative.  It is unfair and not the way the feedback was originally intended.  I bought a jacket and the seller sent me the wrong size.  Not only was the size wrong, but the jacket was not even a jacket, but a thin windbreaker. I returned it, then the seller refunded me my money MINUS his shipping fees.  Then he wanted me to agree the the deal wasn't completed so he didn't have to pay his listing fee.  So he would be out nothing even though he made the error, and I was out HIS shipping fees.  I don't buy that much on Ebay as I used to because of jerks like that.   Ebay is not the great auction place like it was when it started. 

Message 88 of 425
latest reply

we want the feedback immediatly because ut affects the powerseller rating if you are close to your account review.

ebay are slowly spoiling this site, there is no right of reply for a seller, all the power is with the buyer, i dont think ebay actually care about the sellers so long as they can make money from fees etc.

the selling part of ebay has gone downhill fast in the last 12-18months, why cant i leave a customer bad feedback, just because im a shop? wheres teh fairness in that?

Buyers can do and say what they want on ebay with little or no comeback from anyone! tthe money back guarentee that ebay offer is killing selling site when youve got unscrupilous buyers who will cheat and lie to get their money back and their item for free

Seller on ebay have got the s**t end of the stick, the site is way down in my estimation which is why we moved them ajority of our stuff to other selling site

shame on you ebay!! and paypal another issue, there all crooks!

Message 89 of 425
latest reply

@wheredidiputthatremote wrote:

As a seller - I always leave feedback as the item is shipped out and follow up with an email to the customer that I am shipping it out.  It is a bummer that more than 1/2 of the buyers usually do not leave feedback at all - but that's the way it goes I guess.

Same here. And my favorite: when buyers contact me via email to express how happy they are with the item, but won't leave feedback. I think some buyers may not be aware of it that each positive feedback contributes to that seller being able to continue to offer the bargains, for a long time to come.

Message 90 of 425
latest reply