cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

Time and time again, I buy something on Ebay, I pay immediately with PayPal, and the seller does not give me any feedback until after I leave it for him first.

This is agains Ebay policy I am almost sure. A bit ago Ebay changed policy so sellers could not leave "retalitory" feedback, that is giving a buyer bad feedback who paid quickly, just because they gave well-deserved bad feedback for a good reason.

This ruined the feedback system for ebay, making it useless.

Now, apparently most sellers simply hold off on giving feedback as long as possible. Are they hoping the buyer gets tired of waiting? Are they hoping the buyer simply slips up and leaves it before they are supposed to?

Whatever the reason, there is no GOOD one for not leaving positive feedback for a buyer that pays lightning fast with PayPal. The buyers job is done at that point, and done very well.

Then it is up to the SELLER to pack the item well, ship it promptly, and have the item be as described in the auction.

If the seller screws up or sells something that is not as advertised, then they damn well deserve bad feedback so that the next buyer can be informed of the bad apple.

So in a nutshell, if you are a buyer on ebay, lets start holding that feedback back until the seller does what they are supposed to for a prompt-paying customer. And if they do not leave feedback, lets report them to Ebay so the feedback system is not compromised as it once was, and so buyers can be properly informed of a sellers performance when they are shopping.

Thanks
Message 1 of 425
latest reply
424 REPLIES 424

Re: Don't give feedback to sellers until they give it to you.......

321cjsnyder123
Enthusiast
I agree that feedback should be an olbligation for a buyer and seller, a buyers and sellers reputation is what increases the level of first-hand trust between a buyer and seller. I have a few other accounts in which I have never left bad feedback, but a few times left neutral. Being kind and never assuming that a buyer or seller will neglect giving me feedback as well, I'm always the first to give feedback the instant I recieve my payment or the moment I open the package and it is what I wanted or expected. I have experienced about four situations where I have not gotten feedback from a buyer or seller. Just recently I had a seller that I gave neutral feedback, claiming to me that feedback meant alot to him, so he suggested revision, I look into the situation to see if it were really the defective disk or the player. It turns out it was my player so I revise his feedback to positive and apologize. I presumed that he was going to give me feedback as well, so I wait a few weeks. My patience wore thin, due to me needing feedback to sell a few of my items, so I message him for feedback and wait for a few more days. I don't get feedback and am left to figure out how to get feedback from him. Few in this forum post have mentioned that it is not an obligation to leave feedback, but I refute that claim and say it is only repectful to leave feedback to that buyer or seller if they did the same, bad, neutral, or good. I ackowledge that a sellers job can at times be troublesome, but it does not justify why one should refuse to leave feedback to a kind and willing buyer who had left feedback as well.
Message 16 of 425
latest reply

siamesedreamdesign
Enthusiast
Hi pretty much a newbie and struggling to get my feedback up. In the begining I left feedback as soon as payment was received. I received almost no feedback from any americans and 100% from international customers. A friend who has been on ebay for years said wait until the buyer leaves you feedback it will be more of an incentive for the buyer to leave feedback that way. I still get almost no feedback from american sales and 100% from international. This discussion seems split on which way to do it.
Message 17 of 425
latest reply

Please stop sellers can't even post a negative feedback and then it takes 30 days to recoup your listing fees from ebay. At least buyers have a voice. Another thing I wish I had a dollar for everytime a buyer tried to use "feedback" blackmail to get a break on postage etc. As for returning feedback I sell many items everyday I do my feedback all at once. I get messages whining about feedback hours after payment. This whole feedback thing is supposed to be a guide instead it makes some people get some weird sense of power and it's pathetic and ridiculous.
Message 18 of 425
latest reply

kris*scloset619
Enthusiast
OP -

What are you going to do with the feedback.

Why do you need to have it today instead of three days from now?

I don't understand.
No Bad Days Pictures, Images and Photos
Message 19 of 425
latest reply

chevy3ccc64
Enthusiast
The worst part about this is I leave feedback immediately after payment, so why should I have to wait 3 weeks to get feedback in return? Sometimes never getting return feedback.

Situation. I sold 6 cell phones, I had issues with paypal first the placed holds on my funds, fine no problem, paid for all shipping expenses out of pocket through paypal, just too make sure there was tracking. Great! Not great, all items were received buy customers, I sold 5 dvd's in this time period, now note I can't charge over 3 dollars to ship a dvd, and I don't know about anyone else, but I don't include 79 cent charge to add shipping confirmation. Anyway, I contacted paypal about the items that had confirmed arrival, the next day instead of releasing my funds they limited my account and then asked me to verify shipment on the dvd's which had been shipped no tracking, Duh there is no possible way to verify anything now according to paypal.

Well now guess what, I shipped out 6 cell phones, I am out 400.00 dollars. The buyers refuse to pay for the phones, well duh why should they I had to give them there money back, they already got the item, and worse than that, after all this they still won't leave feedback. Got a member with a feedback rating of over 3000 and this one won't pay for them either or leave feedback.

What a wonderful world. I guess what comes around goes around! I can only hope!
Message 20 of 425
latest reply

feline-lover
Enthusiast
"Well now guess what, I shipped out 6 cell phones, I am out 400.00 dollars. The buyers refuse to pay for the phones, well duh why should they I had to give them there money back, they already got the item, and worse than that, after all this they still won't leave feedback. Got a member with a feedback rating of over 3000 and this one won't pay for them either or leave feedback."

chevy3ccc64,
I'm a little confused, why are you out the $$ for the phones? You have proof through PP tracking number, which include "Delivery Confirmation" that the phones were shipped and you said that the buyer's received the phones. PP will put a hold on your acct. for multiple reasons and if you are a new seller, I think it's for 21 days. But if you show proof that the item was shipped (and you have that) they will release your $$.
I ALWAYS print my own shipping labels from PP for the tracking number & DC. Also, they don't charge the extra .79 for the DC like the USPS does.
Message 21 of 425
latest reply

she_is_cj
Enthusiast
I am generally "the buyer"...
I ALWAYS leave feedback w/in hrs after receiving my item. ONLY once I did not... IT was broke and waiting to settle... butt that is another story.

Thing is I always give feedback and ALL the "wanted" stars for seller... as I know ebay has made the ever so important to them.... immediately...

butt my gripe is... the sellers who do not take the time to reciprocate. IT is just as important for a buyer to have good feedback.
(I have not once failed to pay fast.)
Message 22 of 425
latest reply

In order to make sure the buyer is absolutely 100 % satisfied with the transaction, why would the seller leave feedback? If something happens in transit that the seller has no control over - they deserve the opportunity to correct it. BTW, it is not against eBay policy. The policy that a seller can't respond back to feedback is ridiculous. We just had someone that refused to pay yet they were able to leave negative feedback - even though Ebay issued an unpaid strike. That does not allow for a level playing field. You must not be a sell.
Message 23 of 425
latest reply

that is bogus, and it is frustrating. I always have to give the seller and the buyer my feedback before they give me mine. And there are a few of them that have not given me a feedback eventhough I gave them one.
Its not fair!
Message 24 of 425
latest reply

Feedback is a choice, you can give it or not.

Long, long, ago in Ebay PAST, it was the same and is the same today.

IF everyone who brought from me had given me feed-back my f/b would be DOUBLE what it is now.

Feedback no longer has the meaning it once had. Sellers cannot make others aware of a bad buyer. Buyers leave glowing feedback and then DING your DSR

I used to leave f/b for everyone, but, now, I wait until Seller leaves me f/b and then I know they have received the item and appear to be happy, DSR can show their true thoughts, but, who knows who dinged what.
Message 25 of 425
latest reply

As a buyer I always leave feedback when the item is received. As a seller I used to give feedback when payment was received. Now, because so many buyers do not leave feedback, I do not leave feedback until it is received from the buyer. As a seller I can not believe how many buyers do not leave feedback.

I always wondered why sellers wouldn't leave feedback right away and was equally as offended because I paid lightening fast too. Then I started selling and realized it WAS because some buyers don't leave feedback at all if the seller leaves it first. I dont think its a retaliatory thing since you cant leave negative for a buyer anyway. Also, I have found that if you send a nice message asking the buyer if they were pleased, it prompts them to leave it.
We should keep in mind that the only ones that feedback really helps or hurts IS the seller.
I think eBay kind of encourages buyers to leave less than 5 star ratings too by saying "remember the seller cant see what your leaving" next to the stars as your rating them.
Message 26 of 425
latest reply

Well, I'm new with this selling stuff and I always leave feedback when the buyer pays. I hope they would do the same, but some don't. Guess that's just the way it is.
Photobucket

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."
Message 27 of 425
latest reply

Buyer feedback is always going to be 100% positive since buyers cannot received negs any more.

As a buyer I always leave feedback once I receive my item.

As a seller I generally leave it after payment.

But on both fronts, sometimes I get it back and sometimes I don't. Doesn't really matter to me. I am buying and selling widgits, not feedback.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

There is no such word as bidded.

Message 28 of 425
latest reply

This is exactly what I do. As a seller I leave feedback as soon as the buyer does. As a buyer I leave it when I receive the item. I have left feedback as a seller as soon as buyers pay and have not received feedback back!
Message 29 of 425
latest reply

This reply is to the buyer concerning feedback. I never as a seller leave feedback untill I recieve feedback first. My job as a seller is not complete untill I know my buyers have recieved their package and are satisified with their purchase. Sellers appreciate great buyer who pay promptly and in most cases everything works out great. But there are those buyers out there who do not read descriptions fully and purchase hastily. Ebay is all about protecting the buyers not so much the sellers. There is no rule about a seller not leaving feedback first. For goodness sake a seller can not even leave neg feedback for a deadbeat buyer but a bad buyer can leave all the neg feedback they want toward a good seller. Mistakes happen we are just human beings and if you play fair you will be treated fair. A seller should refund postage when an item has been shipped in error. And your ebay customers should be treated like gold!
Message 30 of 425
latest reply