cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tire Treads on Roadway

Yesterday afternoon driving to Atlanta there was yet again another truck tire blown all over the roadway.  These are dangerous and represent a safety hazard to motorists.

I called 9-1-1 and reported the tire that was in pieces all over the road.  Everyone is swerving trying to miss the debris, including me.  I told the 9-1-1 operator that they should make the truck driver eat the pieces if he/she wants to leave them on the road.

I will be talking with my state representative about introducing legislation requiring identification markers in truck tires and for the person driving when the tire blows apart to be responsible for the cleanup.  This would be large truck tires only.  Tires that are smaller don't typically blow apart like truck tires.

I will suggest that the driver be responsible to report the incident immediately and set up safety warnings.  

I do not like truckers and the mess that they make on our national freeways is terrible.

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Tire Treads on Roadway

Not only am I taxed for having 9-1-1 available, it is my right to use it for what I perceive to be an emergency.  

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

I wouldn't advertise your opinion.

Good Moms let you lick the Beaters.

Great Moms turn them off first.
Message 32 of 37
latest reply

THEY ALSO PAY TO KEEP UP THE ROADS. Do you just not understand how things work?

And if you want to place blame-shouldn't it be with the company that sold the tire?

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

Trucks move everything the world uses. You'd have no house, no food and no computer.

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@divwido - Ya...you would have to live by the docks.laughing

@tony1963 - I can respect and appreciate reporting reckless drivers. Especially reckless 70,000 pound trucks. But that being said....here in Cali, tire treads had better be a real hazard when they get there. They don't look at it like we have the right to report just anything we want. Auto accidents, for example, if there is any bodily injury whatsoever, that's a real emergency and 911 is ok to call. Three cars smashed up at an intersection with ten people standing around, but absolutly no one hurt? Dispatch will ask if all parties have insurance. If you say yes, they will tell you to exchange info and go home. No emergency. - 96.

Message 35 of 37
latest reply

Driving a truck is not a license to endanger life and property.  Leaving a tire tread laying on a roadway where someone would hit it traveling 70 MPH is not only dangerous, it needs to become a crime.

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

A few years ago, I picked up a 99 Suburban at a dealer auction in PA. It was a pretty nice old truck and I decided to drive it home to Ohio. I kept driving it until one day I was washing it and while cleaning the wheels got to looking at the tires. At first glance they looked really new but towards the wheel they almost looked dry rotted.

RETREADS!!! What the actual heck. Can you imagine if one of those came off at 70 mph on the freeway? I can't imagine who would do that on a passenger vehicle. I asked Clarence, the guy who hauls my cars about retreads still being legal and he said as long as they aren't on steering tires.

As far as "Road Gators" I once saw an accident that started with one of those. I think it just surprised the guy and he veered into the wrong lane without looking.

Message 37 of 37
latest reply