cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tipping the Postal Worker at Christmas

How do you calculate the amount to tip them and are there any rules associated with the worker accepting a tip? Straight cash or gift card?

By circumstance, I have only ever had a regular carrier for two Christmas seasons, all my others have been temporary and no way was I going to throw a tip at someone who would only be on my route for two weeks. I now have a regular mail carrier and since I have had her for the past 6 or so weeks, none of my Pick Ups have been missed and all my packages have been scanned. I would love to provide a tip and want to know what others are doing.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Re: Tipping the Postal Worker at Christmas

One could always write a letter commending the carrier's service for the year and send a copy to the postmaster and give the carrier a copy of that commendation.

Given that a postal carrier is an employee of a US government agency,  written documentation of a job well done is a type of "currency" that could help with job security.

Also, it would probably be breath of fresh air to Postmasters who hear and read complaints all the time.

Message 16 of 22
latest reply

I have a slightly different view than most here apparently. 

When it's the paperboy or a server who's wages is less than minimum wage I tip well, very well. When it's someone who's paid a competitive wage, gets health insurance benefits and a pension....not so much. They get my respect and appreciation but not tipped....no more than I get tipped for doing my day job.

My view isn't "right" and tipping isn't "wrong"....just different points of view. 

It may also be related to how closely you work with them and semantics of whether you call it a tip or a gift. I do give my staff gifts during the Holidays...I don't tip them.

VintageCarMagazines

Message 17 of 22
latest reply

Since I run my packages to the post office every day, I've tried to develop a good, friendly relationship with each one of them:  learn their first names immediately, share some jokes, sympathise about bad customers, straighten out displays while I'm waiting in line, etc.  At Christmas, I make a special trip, and bring them cookies for their break table in the back.

Some folks may say that a batch of cookies is no big deal; but all year long I've been cultivating some good vibes, to make sure that I remained on their good sides -- and you bet it makes a difference in postal service, as well as special favors for me.  

Remember -- these are the same folks who can "displace" your packages or use them for footballs --so keep on their good sides!

Message 18 of 22
latest reply

I give my mail carrier $20 cash every Christmas.  He has been delivering mail on my block for 10+ years, so I know him pretty well. Just a super nice man, hardworking and does his job well.

Message 19 of 22
latest reply

The carriers here wouldn't be able to turn around at the end of the roads if they didn't back up.

Message 20 of 22
latest reply

Our carriers wouldn't be able to get out of the parking lot if they didn't back up.
I see them do it all the time.
Message 21 of 22
latest reply

Nobody should tip anybody for doing their job, period.
Message 22 of 22
latest reply