cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shoehorns have a gender? Who knew.

I mean really?

IMG_0849.JPG

I have a shoehorn in my hand right now and I have looked and looked, and other then the hole in the handle I can't find anything that I would call genitalia. And I picked it up and held it without asking permission first, can it file a sexual harassment case against me?

'Best' part? If we click on the 'Related - shoe horn long handle' link the gender list goes away. So did ebay decide that the 'long handle' ones were ... male?

Message 1 of 31
latest reply
30 REPLIES 30

That was always a problem when you try to pigeonholing everything.  There are always things that don't fit. So you keep adding more holes.

Message 2 of 31
latest reply

Since you can't find anything, you should choose "Adult Unisex". Now with dresses, it is a completely different story.

Message 3 of 31
latest reply

@steve_stuff 

Lol, thanks for my morning chuckle, cute! 

It's asking for gender  in which who would most likely use this item, probably older men in their 80s!

Message 4 of 31
latest reply

According to your screenshot, a couple thousand sellers decided to shoehorn their shoehorn into that item specific.

Message 5 of 31
latest reply

And, anyhow, who is eBay to say how any shoehorn should identify, if it should identify at all, or what pronouns any shoehorn prefers, if it has a preference?

-

Message 6 of 31
latest reply

I never heard of shoehorns having a gender made for description.

If it is short, it is probably for all your short heel shoes. 

If it is long, I would guess for boots which might have two lengths. 

I would just make sure that the dims are listed in the listing

Message 7 of 31
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

If it is long, I would guess for boots which might have two lengths. 

There are shoehorns long enough to be used while standing, too, for folks who find it difficult to bend or twist.  All the ones I've seen were sturdy, metal, and at least 30" long.

-

Message 8 of 31
latest reply

Sometimes, you can just tell.

s-l225.jpg

Message 9 of 31
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

And, anyhow, who is eBay to say how any shoehorn should identify, if it should identify at all, or what pronouns any shoehorn prefers, if it has a preference?-

That is simply unfair - eBay is not saying how any shoehorn should identify.

It is the seller's job to correctly describe an item, so it is up to the seller to ask the shoehorn how it identifies, and then to accurate reflect that in the listing.

eBay is not responsible if the seller fails to provide the shoehorn with the dignity and respect that it deserves.

Message 10 of 31
latest reply

OP here -

First of all stop making me laugh. I have a store to run.

Real store is opened - a worker ... employee ... long time friend Yvette who works here - looked at photo and said "you typed it [shoehorn] as two words, it would have expected it to show you horns carved into shoes"

Message 11 of 31
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

< probably older men in their 80s >    

Just wondering, are there any younger men in their 80's ? 

Message 12 of 31
latest reply

@maxine*j 

< shoehorn ... sturdy, metal, and at least 30" long >    

My grandmother had one of those.  I have it now ... although I don't need it yet, the clock is ticking. 

Message 13 of 31
latest reply

@gosimus wrote:

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

< probably older men in their 80s >    

Just wondering, are there any younger men in their 80's ? 

Actually, yes, I have met a few.  I've met a few older men in their 20s, too.

🙂

-

Message 14 of 31
latest reply

Thanks for the laugh!!  And a long ago memory.

Years and years ago I took my son to an athletic shoe store to purchase some high top sneakers.  The male store assistant had us wait while he retrieved a "male" shoe horn from behind the counter.  Clearly recall him saying that male shoe horns had a larger cup shaped end because males tend to have larger heels and the bigger size helped slide the foot into the shoe without annoying pressure from the cupping sides of too small ends.  I guess that could agitate heel spurs?

Message 15 of 31
latest reply