cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

esell-resell
Thrill-Seeker

Has this happenned to anyone else?

I sold a Computer Server to a buyer on Ebay, this guy phoned me, we discussed everything about the server and shipping. Now this guy was cheap I could tell just by him whinning about how much the shipping would be and how long it would take.

So me being a nice person and I know what it is like to have to wait and wait for my package, I told him to send me $90 and I would express ship it out to him and he would have it in 3 - 4 days. He agreed and sent me the extra $90 plus I gave him a deal on the server $169.99 , when I could have easily got $200. The server weighs 70lbs and is 26"longX19"highX9"wide and has to be shipped in it's proper sitting place so I had to label it with THIS SIDE UP stickers and also HEAVY stickers (70lbs) and alot of FRAGILE AND HANDLE WITH CARE stickers. It cost me $280.00 to ship it to him (no lie I have the receipt from UPS on my account) and only charged him $90. When I packaged the server I did it at the UPS office that I go to all the time and the UPS agent helped me actually. I wrapped it in packing cardboard and used a bubble packing envelope for extra cushion on the back of the tower server so that none of the conections would be broken. It was then triple wrapped with cardboard boxes customly made top fit tight around the server and several layers of red Tuck Tape were used to seal it all up.

The buyer received it I believe 6 days later because some of the paperwork for the border ( Canada to USA) were not proper so it took a few more days. When his even NORMAL shipping, like the cheapest from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada to New York USA would have been $133.00 and would have taken 2 - 3 weeks to get there. Remember he only paid $90?

Anyway 3 days after he received the server he sends me a message that it was damaged during shipping because it was not packaged properly and he wants all his money back and also the shipping money. In my listing I had listed no returns or exchanges. I want all of you to know that I have sold many of these units and I always, ALWAYS run a system check on them before shipping them out and I have never had a problem. So I replied to him that I most certainly did package it properly and I asked him to send me pictures please and I also asked him why he would accept a package that was damaged. He would not respond or nor did he send any pictures.

Yesterday I received a buyer complaint thing from Ebay and Paypal puts a $179.99 hold on my account. I responded to the complaint and explained everything in detail and informed the buyer that I would be contacting Ebay and UPS this morning.

This morning I woke up a little later than usual 11am and noticed that the buyer had already escalated the complaint with Ebay at 6am. I immediately phoned Ebay and spoke to someone in the Ebay Buyer Protection department and I explained everything to the rep and also that I packed it in front of the UPS agent who helped me and that the buyer would not send me any pictures, and I expressed to the rep that I think what the buyer did was buy a different server locally because I noticed on his account that a few days after he bought my server, he was buying Tape drives for a completely different server, and after speaking with him on the phone he had said that he was in need of a server badly because they did not have one.

So here is what the Ebay rep did during the phone call I had with him. He ruled in the buyers favor and now the buyer can take 7 - 14 days to ship it to me and he can send it anyway he wants, so I will be waiting for 4- 6 weeks at the very least to get back a BROKEN server that has now cost me 280.00$ in shipping and is probably now worth nothing because here is what I believe happenned the buyer found a server locally and then read the buyer protection policy and then damaged the server ON PURPOSE then filed the claim. I know I cannot prove it 100% but I know that is what happenned.

So now I am out over $550.00 and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. I am sooo tired of getting ripped off on Ebay by buyers that LIE and Ebay rules in there favor all the time. I have 2 kids and this is christmas time and this extra money is for gifts for them, I am so UPSET right now with Ebay that I am about ready to quit selling on here completely.

I go out of my way to ENSURE that items are packed EXTRA well so that damage does not happen, and now I get ripped off by some goon that uses the policy to get away with it.

BEWARE SELLERS this can happen to you.

I think Ebay needs to wake up and change some of this NON-SENSE policy loop holes that these scammers use to scam you out of money. Oh and get this that buyer can now leave me NEGATIVE feedback but I cannot do the same to him, I can either leave positive or no feedback!

UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Message 1 of 613
latest reply
612 REPLIES 612

Re: Ripped off by yet another buyer! Ebay's Buyer Wins no matter what policy.

Sorry this happened to you... seems it's getting worse.  We've had our share where the buyer blatantly acknowledges that they used an item, did not like it and did not return it in the condition it was received and they still received a full refund.  😞

Message 481 of 613
latest reply

Just recently, I bought a jersey that was nothing like the listing and ebay sided with the seller as item as described. The jersey had stains (claims to be like new and super clean) and the sizing was way off (advertized as a large, but was actually a  small since the measurements in the listing was 26" when it was 21").  Even in the claim, pictures were provided to show the flaws. Seems like whoever does these disuptues for ebay cannot read or know basic math. The whole protection policy is a complete joke and there are too many examples in this thread alone to explain why.

Message 482 of 613
latest reply

Granted my case was as a buyer but I am in agreement with too many scam artists who get away with it.  What makes it worse ebay still charges the fees so you are getting scammed by them as well in cases like these. 

Message 483 of 613
latest reply

Just had a bad experience with a lying buyer too. Bought a used game expecting un used codes. I had to pay for his mistake, eBay did nothing to help, try not to use certain keywords, Mint, Like New, Complete, even if true, and you accurately describe the item, they will side with the buyer. Makes me want to stop selling here. eBay truly is a scam if you get a lying buyer. I have sold over hundreds of items and had 100% now I don't because this one sore loser. Worst experience ever and I don't trust to sell on eBay anymore, hopefully they start protecting honest buyers, or they will have no inventory from people to list for the buyers they cater to only.

Message 484 of 613
latest reply

This story does not add up.

The seller states he accepted $90.00 from the buyer to cover freight.  Later, to his complete surprise, he learns from UPS that actual freight will be $280.00 because the server weighs so much and requires special packing.

Then the seller states that he has sold many of the same units.  Why then would he know zip about the freight?

Message 485 of 613
latest reply

I am done selling on ebay. I have been scammed yet again today. Sold them a brand new sealed Disney dvd. They claimed it was empty. I got it from the Disney store. They have to sent back the empty case. What does that prove? They keep the dvd and and keep it for free. I am so done with ebay. I will sell on facebook. I have better luck.
Message 486 of 613
latest reply

Yes! Sound like I got ripped off by the same guys. Computer related sale as well! 

Message 487 of 613
latest reply

Item #: 122431437602

Ebay seller (hashmen624) wants refund of moneys paid for Ricoh camera because there was minor defect that was described as not tested in listing, M flash function of camera for flash bulbs.

hashmen624
Return reason: "Doesn't work or defective"
Comments: "I have tested with M flash setting and it does not trigger flash"

In list description I put following:

** X-M Flash synch: X synch fires electronic flash, have not tested M flash.

Think he is abusing buyer protection program to get free camera, when he first committed to purchase and paid, he about 1 hour later requested his money back after a number of ebay emails he finally agreed to receive camera now he again wants full refund.
ddgmick

Ricohflex New DIA TLR Camera 80mm f3.5 Lens

Both taking and viewing lens is clear. Uses 120 film. Uses standard Bay 1 filters.

All functions working:

** Focus: Lever Focus, good focuses from both sides.

** Shutter: Citizen B, 1, 1/2, 1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, 1/200, 1/400.

** Aperture: f3.5, f4.0, f5.6, f8.0, f11, f16.

** Self Timer working.

** Hot Shoe fires

** Mirror in good condition.

Message 488 of 613
latest reply

Here is what camera tech said about flash sync X-M in particular M:

Ebay step up to this problem and support th seller in this case: # 122431437602

I would start asking him questions...

What kind of flash bulbs are you using? What is the flash bulb holder that you are using? Have you cleaned (rub on the bottom of your shoe, or lick them if you like the taste of lead) the contacts on the flash bulb? Have you tested the flash holder? Are the bulbs going off? If so, are they early or late? It is a four millisecond delay for M, is it longer or later?

I would not refund one red cent. Tell the guy to get a cheap strobe, and use that. Flash bulbs are wasteful, contaminate the environment, and do not give a different look that a strobe.

If you read the warranty I give on my cameras, I do not warrant flash synchronization. The mechanism is a bunch of tiny little silver plated parts, that have been corroding for the last 50 years, and I'm suppose to have some control over if they work or not! Further, the shutter makers put about 5 cents into the making of the flash retard, so all the parts were left bare metal, and have for the last 50 years had 300 volts pass through them. They are always rusty, and not working. In Synchro-Compur shutters, I remove the parts and make then X only; which is what the maker (F. Deckel) did in the 70's anyway.

Message 489 of 613
latest reply

Ebay buyer (hashmen624) wants refund of moneys paid for Ricoh camera because there was minor defect that was described as not tested in listing, M flash function of camera for flash bulbs.

hashmen624
Return reason: "Doesn't work or defective"
Comments: "I have tested with M flash setting and it does not trigger flash"

Think he is abusing buyer protection program to get free camera, when he first committed to purchase and paid, he about 1 hour later requested his money back after a number of ebay emails he finally agreed to receive camera now he again wants full refund.
ddgmick

Ricohflex New DIA TLR Camera 80mm f3.5 Lens

Both taking and viewing lens is clear. Uses 120 film. Uses standard Bay 1 filters.

All functions working:

** Focus: Lever Focus, good focuses from both sides.

** Shutter: Citizen B, 1, 1/2, 1/5, 1/10, 1/25, 1/50, 1/100, 1/200, 1/400.

** Aperture: f3.5, f4.0, f5.6, f8.0, f11, f16.

** Self Timer working.

** Hot Shoe fires

** Mirror in good condition.

Message 490 of 613
latest reply

Ebay buyer (hashmen624) wants refund of moneys paid for Ricoh camera because there was minor defect that was described as not tested in listing, M flash function of camera for flash bulbs.

hashmen624

Sold him camera for $129.99 CAD, which is about $95.00 US plus $25.50 US shipping. They have already invoiced my PayPal account so that I have a negative amount, price of camera.

The seller has no rights when it comes to "not as described", buyer wants refund because not as described he is guaranteed refund by ebay, no matter what the circumstances.

If camera sold on ebay as scratch that did not show up on photos, buyer could put in "not as described" case for full refund, if item gets returned it may be same item or something completely different. Bag of Rocks!!

This what I wrote earlier:

" ** X-M Flash synch: X synch fires electronic flash, have not tested M flash.

Think he is abusing buyer protection program to get free camera, when he first committed to purchase and paid,
he about 1 hour later requested his money back after a number of ebay emails he finally agreed to receive camera now he again wants full refund. "

This second time around with the buyer, he paid for camera then immediately within 1 hour or so wants refund, then he finally says that he wants camera.

Never had customer like this (by the way I just sell a few items on ebay no a lot), but doing search on Google found that this situation is quite common, seller has no rights, buyer has all the rights.

It is almost impossible to get in touch with ebay and they in most cases do not listen to sellers. Sellers are basically dirt on the floor.
Message 491 of 613
latest reply

You just defended a dirtbag I don't care whether they're a seller or buyer . You're telling me that the honest seller needs to spend more  of there  ever so shrinking  Prophets  to protect themselves you mean to tell me  the right thing to do is that I have to spend more money to make sure that eBay doesn't allow a rip-off to rip me off you ought to get your head examined

Message 492 of 613
latest reply

Sold a Macbook  "AS IS NOT WORKING FOR PARTS ONLY" No Returns Accepted.Cosmentic condition like new. The buyer tought he can bring the computer back to life , as he couldn't he filed a case telling Item was Damaged during shipping. I have a computer store since 20years in Lakeland Florida  and know how to pack computers. Althoug the Buyer wasn't Eligable for money back, by e-bay he filed a case with Paypal , and the gave him a Refund on a blink of an eye.

Message 493 of 613
latest reply

In case of Ricohflex New Dia, M sync as not tested in listing, this is a 50 year old camera, buyer tested M sync supposedly, and came back with a defective case for refund using the description for case, originally this buyer had bought and paid for item and 1 hour later he wanted refund, the he reversed decision to receive camera and the he found defect, and defective case. Buyer hashmen624.

Message 494 of 613
latest reply

I sold a DVD Player - it was very slightly used, 2+ years old and a very high end player.

I provided a complete description, but nowhere in the description did I indicate the unit would be shipped in it's original packaging.

Unit arrived perfectly fine, in working order apparently.

However, buyer opens eBay dispute claiming it wasn't in original box, so "not as described." 

His rational for this is that without the original box there's no way to ensure it arrived safe and is not a counterfeit.

AYFKM????
The serial number of the unit is clearly marked and the unit is working - so what is the issue???? 

IN fact, I've sold with eBay over 100x and have 100% positive reviews.... 

This is ABSURD!!!!

I am confident buyer just changed his mind, yet my policy is no refunds under any circumstances.

Message 495 of 613
latest reply