cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is eBay Corporate even reading these boards?

Continuing the poor eBay sales discussion: 

I read this report this morning -

"But eBay's challenges extend beyond internet sales tax. International GMV growth has slowed from 7% in the third quarter last year to just 1% this year. Moreover, the number of items sold declined 3% year over year last quarter."

Previous Threads have beat the poor sales topic to death but eBay appears deaf. Call to cancel a store due to poor eBay sales and they don't even ask why you are closing a store. Numbers do not lie - everything is trending down yet eBay remains deaf (to seller's). My sales are down 50-70% since April 2018. The result was me closing one of my two stores. With only two sales this month (February 2020) and none in past two weeks, my remaining store is on the chopping block. I think it terrible that eBay is trying to become something their not (Amazon) at the expense of seller's. I feel the rug was pulled from beneath me and feel it was by design.

I am officially giving eBay a two week notice (PIP - Performance Improvement Plan). Considering I've been watching the down trend since April 2018, eBay has had plenty of time to change direction. After two weeks, I will FIRE eBay for poor performance and close my remaining store. It felt good closing my other store early last year... really good!

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

To answer the question you posed in your title, no. eBay Corporate does not read these boards.

"The eBay Community is a peer-to-peer support community.
While eBay employees will be on the discussion boards from time to time, the Community is not a dedicated customer service channel. This is a peer-to-peer support community – inclusive of sellers, buyers, and eBay employees. It is a place to get tips and advice from Community members."
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

Sales are down because many of the items that people were buying are slowly fading out ie. books, antiques, glass ware etc. Books are now on kindle, and with TV being streamed 80000 ways, what was the 20 somethings are now 40 somethings and everyone below that age watches more tv and plays more video games than even bother reading. Antiques are just 'things' and that same crowd is not interested in 'stuff', they are spending more $ on 'doing things', 'experiences' etc. 

For some reason, I'm 58 and I'm in the same boat. Quit reading years ago, don't want any 'stuff' and enjoy just getting out the doing/seeing stuff way more. 'Things' are not as important. 

Moral of the story- needed items will always be needed and purchased; service stores will always be open (dentist, hair, nails etc.) 

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Pretty obvious Corporate knows the overall numbers since they do the reporting on them.

There's nothing they can do to help an individual store....or seller....... without being unfair to the rest of the sellers, so threatening them does no good. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

It's a strange situation.

If you mention to phone CS representatives issues with improper information or improper moderation that is given on these forums, they directly state that they are not able to assist with community issues because these forums are ran directly by Corporate and that you would need to be able to contact them for any assistance.

I was first told this information was provided to another seller I was chatting with. After that point, a CS rep told me the same thing personally.

So it seems they have to read them, or you would at least hope they're reading them if they're running the place. They just aren't obligated to actually respond to anything here.

It would be best to think of this as a place just to talk to other sellers, rather than Corporate.

Aside from this, Corporate is definitely aware of the issues faced by sellers and buyers. They send category/sales managers to visit with sellers to communicate the issues to them. I've gave 3 eBay managers a presentation personally, so they're definitely aware. The inaction on the problems is confusing, especially on all the tech issues I showed them that still haven't been fixed (and they visited us over a year ago now), but they are aware.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Maybe,  eBay moved this topic from selling to eBay cafe to hide the contents because it raises good questions with unresolved answers. If individuals at eBay are aware of the situation OP mentions why not work the issues especially the technical ones??

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

The fact that Ebay has not removed the GTC edict is proof positive that corporate does not read these boards nor listen to sellers elsewhere.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

@jersuniquebooks wrote:

I am officially giving eBay a two week notice (PIP - Performance Improvement Plan). After two weeks, I will FIRE eBay for poor performance and close my remaining store.

If eBay did read this board, I think they would assume that your buyers will simply buy a similar item from a similar seller for a similar price.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Way too many hurdles with eBay selling these days. eBay made it easy to list and hard to sell.

You are somewhat correct in that threatening does no good but as a customer of eBay, threatening to close a store is all the leverage I have. Nothing else works. Threatening to complain to the BBB about poor service from some other business is a norm. 

BUT - no longer interested. I closed my last store two days ago and very happy about it. Frustration is now gone. Two stores closed in less than a year...speaks to what I have been reading on these boards the past few years. 

Message 9 of 9
latest reply