cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

He'll do it on a COMPETING MARKETPLACE... but NOT HERE.

Devin Wenig is thankful for all his eBay sellers and customers... you saw it here second.

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/2017/12/15/ebay-ceo-devin-wenig-turns-facebook-give-thanks/

eBay CEO Devin Wenig wrote a series of posts on Facebook to thank eBay customers and employees, charities, communities, sellers and merchants, media, and financial analysts. He wished them happy holidays and told them to expect big things from eBay in the New Year.

Thanks for ignoring thinking of us Devin, you're the best!!!

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 1 of 125
latest reply
124 REPLIES 124

Re: He'll do it on a COMPETING MARKETPLACE... but NOT HERE.

@castlemagicmemories wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

With all due respect, sometimes the Boards can be sort of, shall we say, inhospitable.

Really? What a shocker!

That may be stating the obvious, and so may this, but that could be a valid reason for him not to post here.

I think most posters would be thrilled if he posted here, ESPECIALLY if he was willing to play it straight.

He's a CEO, he oughta be able to take a little guff. 

With all due respect, georg, this thread does not point to such a great reception; I would imagine being a CEO he could take a little guff, but...when you look at what the blues go through...

So it begs the question, why would they be thrilled?  For what purpose?

Just some thoughts.

I agree, however, that it would be appropriate that he post on Ebay's Boards.  Not everyone Facebooks, and the Boards that are on Ebay is the logical place to communicate.  These Boards are an asset to Ebay, since many give their time and knowledge freely to help others.

Message 76 of 125
latest reply

Great point...how many phone calls does his CS dept NOT get because of these boards, and how MUCH does that translate into cost savings?
Message 77 of 125
latest reply

@nawlinsron2 wrote:
Great point...how many phone calls does his CS dept NOT get because of these boards, and how MUCH does that translate into cost savings?

But how many scammer buyers get thwarted because of us?  And since ebay believes that an unhappy buyer will never shop on ebay again, ebay probably sees that thwarting scammers might be a huge loss of income for ebay.

(*Bleep*)
Message 78 of 125
latest reply

Sellers are customers of ebay when they pay for stores or listings fees.

Buyers are customers of ebay when they make a purchase.

Buyers can't be customers of ebay without enough sellers first being customers of ebay.

Sellers can't be customers of ebay without a substantial amount of buyers.

Both are equally important to one another and should be treated similarly.

On the other hand: there are unprofessional buyers and there are unprofessional sellers.  Goes both ways.  Take a look in the mirror and happy holidays and best wishes -------- 🙂

Message 79 of 125
latest reply

Sorry Ted - but there wil always be division on any discussion board or forum as people base their opinions on their experiences and personal prefernces.

Oh, I get that users are going to have different opinions and disagree at times.  Even among sellers only.  

I was speaking more toward hostility that eBay personnel sometimes encounter here (relating to why messages such as we're discussing wouldn't be posted here).   

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 80 of 125
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:

The reason this is generating angst is because eBay keeps threatening to fire anyone who attends a food service trade show where Burger King has a booth too (or at least make them give any proceeds from a Whopper they ate to Ronald).  

Not really.

If you are a McDonalds employee who leaves work and goes to the trade show, McDonalds doesn't do anything. 

But they are  threatening to fire any McDonalds employee who stops a customer who is coming into McDonalds and tell them they should go to Burger King instead. 

Or if a McDonalds employee stops a customer who is coming into McDonalds and whispers something in their ear and then the customer mysteriously leaves. 

Or if a McDonalds employee gets asked by a customer where the nearest Burger King is, and you say anything to him  🙂

Right, except that McDonalds here (eBay) isn't my employer.  They are my vendor, a service provider that I hire to assist with MY business. 

It is that they think and behave as if I were their employee that is at the root of much of the problem they have with me and other sellers.  I am paying them, not the other way around.

Message 81 of 125
latest reply

No I didn't forget - this whole thing is still petty in my eyes and others - but obviously it's a big deal to some of you. And yes - much of the posting here is not discussion but arguing. A couple of us have tried to show the mods and community team that many of these threads are worthless as it just leads to pages and pages of infighting - where no genuine information is produced that will help sellers.

In this PC world - they don't want to stimie anyone so these threads will continue to be annoyances.

Message 82 of 125
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:
Right, except that McDonalds here (eBay) isn't my employer. 

No one at eBay treats you like an employee.  They publish a user agreement and hold you to it, just like Amazon or any other venue. 

But that really is getting pretty far afield from the argument that the CEO is somehow maligning eBay users by posting a holiday messages on his Facebook page.

My position is that in this day and age, social media is widely considered an appropriate place for fluffy propaganda, and that people should not be offended when that same fluffy propoganda is not repeated on this site. 

Message 83 of 125
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

Sorry Ted - but there wil always be division on any discussion board or forum as people base their opinions on their experiences and personal prefernces.

Oh, I get that users are going to have different opinions and disagree at times.  Even among sellers only.  

I was speaking more toward hostility that eBay personnel sometimes encounter here (relating to why messages such as we're discussing wouldn't be posted here).   

Exactly.

Message 84 of 125
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

@ted_200 wrote:
Right, except that McDonalds here (eBay) isn't my employer. 

Your lack of employment does not release you from the eBay user agreement.

No one suggested it did.  But the User Agreement does not release eBay from the reality that we are on the same team.  It's just a question of who is the boss.  It doesn't change the dynamic that policies and actions that are harmful to sellers are not generally going to be beneficial to eBay - or vice versa.  Again, this is mismanagement, and sellers are not management, so they sometimes display hositility toward the situation and those who create it.

Message 85 of 125
latest reply

But that really is getting pretty far afield from the argument that the CEO is somehow maligning eBay users by posting a holiday messages on his Facebook page.

It is directly related to the argument about why he wouldn't post them here, on eBay, because of some sort of perceived "hostility".

Message 86 of 125
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

No I didn't forget - this whole thing is still petty in my eyes and others - but obviously it's a big deal to some of you. And yes - much of the posting here is not discussion but arguing. A couple of us have tried to show the mods and community team that many of these threads are worthless as it just leads to pages and pages of infighting - where no genuine information is produced that will help sellers.

In this PC world - they don't want to stimie anyone so these threads will continue to be annoyances.

So, in other words, if YOU find it "annoying" it needs to go- correct? Just asking.

What's really ironic about this whole having to go to Facebook to interact with eBay thing is this:

In so many ways, eBay was the very first social media platform. In the very early years, users were free to contact each other however we chose for any reason. We chatted all the time back then, and I made lots of friendships and built business relationships all over the world through eBay. A lot of those friendships and associations are nearing 20 years old and are still going strong.

The two businesses I have and do well with today both have their roots in eBay. I fully credit eBay with the ability to build two of my hobby passions into sucessful businesses allowing me to ditch the soul crushing hamster wheel of upper national retail chain management and live life on my own terms, having fun doing so.

An 'eBayer' was a thing, and 'eBaying' was a verb.  

People loved eBay. They were addicted to eBay. Unlike modern social media platforms that people pose and lie to each other on, eBay was groups of enthusiasts talking to other enthusiasts all over the world... people couldn't wait to log onto eBay every day... and it was HAPPY! It wasn't about one poseur trying to out pose the other poseurs and becoming depressed trying to do so; we connected through our passions and helped each other glady in our pursuits. The atmosphere was similar but the outcome was way more positive.

eBay even innovated the 'About Me' page which, if I recall correctly, pre-dated 'Myspace'.

I can't help but speculate that social media as we know it today evolved at least partially from the social 'online community' aspect of eBay, if only by osmosis. Think about it.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 87 of 125
latest reply

Maybe Wenig went over to Facebook because he knows that is where most of the sellers that are leaving ebay are going to and wants to remind them that ebay is still there and trying to be hip and relevant.  Oh and ebay really appreciates their money uh, them.  (no matter how badly they were treated before)

(*Bleep*)
Message 88 of 125
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

What you and others like you seem to forget that the people who come here to answer questions do it for FREE.  No one is paid to do it.  And what keeps them here?  In many cases, it is interaction with other users, even having fun occasionally.  OMG...how terrible that is, huh? 

You know, if questions were not getting answered in favor of silliness or what you and a few others consider pettiness, they might have a beef.  But it is seldom that those with valid questions don't get answers, and most often, those answers come swiftly. 

So what exactly is the problem again?

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 89 of 125
latest reply

@ted_200 wrote:

It is directly related to the argument about why he wouldn't post them here, on eBay, because of some sort of perceived "hostility".

Sorry, Ted, with all due respect, perhaps you have missed them, but threads, posts, and Chats show that it is not "hostility", it is blatant hostility.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but the expression, well...

Message 90 of 125
latest reply