cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 1 of 1,161
latest reply
1,160 REPLIES 1,160

Re: Ebay's Final Value Fees Too High!

Same thing here , I was selling in different markets . last month ai have decided to check on all ebay fees on my last invoices and I was just shocked how greedy ebay is  .

I closed my store , canceled all my subscriptions and removed 90% of my items from ebay . I think they don't really care about anyone .

we dont have to forget that ebay and paypal (same company) was taking also cuts and fees on shipping , paypal payment (eventhough thye will say it is not the same company anymore but they shoud have lower paypal fees and help people sell more instead of taking us for idiots and giving us the separated company story ) . don't forget also the problems when some crazy buyers decides to claim his money from paypal saying that he didnt receive the order eventhough he did , guess what ebay / paypal still give him your money that you will never see again and you can say bye bye to your products too . 

so yes enough is enough , since i have decided to ake my focus and my business gradualy to other olatforms and my own website I feel I am working for myself again and not for ebay .

power to the people , take back your business and your life and say bye bye to ebay . 

Message 766 of 1,161
latest reply

Yep I have to agree eBay is getting too greedy 10% valuation fee is just way too much. I will look for other venues to so my goods 

Message 767 of 1,161
latest reply

@thedealsfinder wrote:

Same thing here , I was selling in different markets . last month ai have decided to check on all ebay fees on my last invoices and I was just shocked how greedy ebay is  .

I closed my store , canceled all my subscriptions and removed 90% of my items from ebay . I think they don't really care about anyone .

we dont have to forget that ebay and paypal (same company) was taking also cuts and fees on shipping , paypal payment (eventhough thye will say it is not the same company anymore but they shoud have lower paypal fees and help people sell more instead of taking us for idiots and giving us the separated company story ) . don't forget also the problems when some crazy buyers decides to claim his money from paypal saying that he didnt receive the order eventhough he did , guess what ebay / paypal still give him your money that you will never see again and you can say bye bye to your products too . 

so yes enough is enough , since i have decided to ake my focus and my business gradualy to other olatforms and my own website I feel I am working for myself again and not for ebay .

power to the people , take back your business and your life and say bye bye to ebay . 

Yep I have to agree eBay is getting too greedy 10% valuation fee is just way too much. I will look for other venues to so my goods 

Message 768 of 1,161
latest reply

I'm not a power user but I just sold something last week and was shocked to see how much fees are now compared to the last time I sold something. This is the last time, I'll leverage the local garage sale facebook groups and other tools going forward.

@blondtxnurse wrote:

Am I the only one that is concerned with ebay's recent increase in final value fees?  Ebay is making it hard to make even a small profit off items sold!

Message 769 of 1,161
latest reply

same here, i decide not to sell anything on ebay anymore.........they are too greedy...........charging 11%, with some loss on postage and listing fees, also charge 4% fee on transaction on paypal, doesn't worth any selling on ebay. I'd rather use gumtree

Message 770 of 1,161
latest reply

If they're are going to provide a service it should be a monthly fee without the FVF or a lower FVF.  I can see how a profit can be made on some items.  But it’s pretty hard to sell something without free shipping.  So after eating the shipping, FVF and PayPal fees I'm selling items well below their value.  I also find the only way I can sell something is to take the loss on the value or profit... otherwise items go unpurchased.  That could all be reversed if the fee was drastically reduced or replaced with a flat rate selling fee.

It's unfortunate there are no competitors to eBay as far as market reach goes.  It's a fantastic market place... But if I make $2000 selling one piece of used gear I don't see how it should cost well over $200 in fees just for hooking me up with a buyer.  I realize there's a bunch of seller/ buyer protection... but that’s better for the buyer not the seller.  As far as value goes as an individual selling on the platform. eBay is not the way to go.  I'm giving them any profit, plus part of the value of the item I'm selling just for the privilege.  

I wish there was another way of displaying my dissatisfaction with them without having to close my account.  Compared to how many online business value their service, eBay seems behind the times.  It also seems impossible to leave feedback about eBay (the company) or leave suggestions in any open public format.  Like idea scale.  You can send them your thoughts but it goes into a black whole.  Who knows if they're listening or not.

Message 771 of 1,161
latest reply

Let's call it 15% for a round figure..................I think that is a BARGAIN !

My buyer's pay my fees !

Why are they not paying yours ?

Message 772 of 1,161
latest reply

So at my level I make a little money on ebay from selling basketball shoes.  I get small discounts from retailers and try to recoup a little return just for extra money. Last month was big one for me.  I sold a pair of baseball cleats, and 3 nike basketball shoes for $639 of which I paid $429.07 for which equals a return of $209.93. I am not oblivious of ebays high fees, as well as paypal getting in on the action too, but when I did the final numbers!!! My profit of over $200 comes down to $119.94! Paypal and ebay will have taken $86.91 from me as of June 15. I think that is ridiculous!! I'd wish I had one of those $10 limit final value fees coupon but I didn't.  Unless you find products for dirt cheap or sale out of your own inventory, you will make little to nothing dealing with ebay and paypal.

Message 773 of 1,161
latest reply

eBay are not good for resale, they are only good if you sell some item that you want to get rid of, 15% fee considering eBay+PayPal it's an awful hit to any profit if you are a reseller . eBay started as a junk seller online market, they still are, and their fees testify to that.
Message 774 of 1,161
latest reply

E-Bay might a good place only you found what you want to sell on street so that you can actually have some reasonable money in your pocket once sold! otherwise it's ridiculous as ebay wants all your money and doesn't want to give anything to people who are contributing to its website's reputation.

Thanks EBAY. you are another example of capitalist corporations giving no $**t to people who make them.

@blondtxnurse wrote:

Message 775 of 1,161
latest reply

it's pathetic. you cant charge anything for handling, expenses, materials, etc. or you wont get the sale and you can hardly even charge regular shipping cuz its so high and that kills sales too. so, you eat huge costs for shipping just to get your item sold and then ebay/paypal comes along and takes like 10% or more of the final value which is almost all shipping costs on small items. its a f%&%^g joke. I gross a couple hundred dollars every month or two and it seems like every month i have a "bill" for ebay that is like over $30. Ebay used to be cool a long time ago but then they got greedy and killed the goose that laid the golden eggs. Things used to sell really quickly, there were buyers everywhere and i used to get bidding wars all the time. then after they killed it and people left, boycotted (i myself took a 9 year break) and some competition came and the economy got worse and now it feels like a ghost town. things that you can't imagine going unsold at the price listed just sit and collect dust. occassionally an item will go quick but ive had items that list for $300 retail that are still being sold in the real world that I cant get rid of for $40!!!!  where the hell are the buyers???  oh right, ebay destroyed there monopolistic (when it was in a good way) customer and seller base and now it is a joke. I used to make a decent profit specializing in low cost items (4-15$) and now it costs 3 bucks to ship a feather and ebay is going to take another buck or two so an item sold for 7$ might make you 75cents. And whats even better is when you sell an item for $5 that costs $15 to ship and ebay gets over 10% of the final value so you get hosed for a couple bucks by them and pretty soon your are actually losing money or making literally pennies. Ebay sucks. im only here to make the occassional bit of money off a good item or one that unexpectedly sells for asking price the first time i list and to be a little "green" and sell stuff for virtually no profit so it doesnt end up in  a landfill. That last reason is cited more and more nowadays which is pathetic; half the stuff i sell im not making any money on (especially when my time is factored in) but i do it cuz i cant stand throwing perfectly funtional stuff in the trash. back in the day, people like me saw the changes taking place an knew this was coming. ebay wanted to be amazon and the whole auction thing (you  know, the whole reason ebay exists) was just thrown under the bus so scumbags from hong kong and taiwan could just open up virtual stores sell knock-off disney products and other **bleep** that pushed out the occassional real listing by some guy in omaha. i knew ebay was in trouble when i went to buy some sneakers one time and i had to go through 4 pages of buy it now e-tailer stores to find the first actual auction. the best part was that the ebay prices for the brand new **bleep** were HIGHER than the brick and mortar stores. ah whatever, screw it. ebay is toast. but just watch how companies like fb havent learned any lessons and keep tweeking a successful model and destroying what made it great. fb will be the next to collapse after they inflict too much cost and damage onto their base customers. 

Message 776 of 1,161
latest reply

The reason that ebay is being very greedy, its because they sell millions, and even charging a lot, I remember that they charged like 5% plus paypal, and I think they were earning too much, now they apply 10% to all users, whenfor example there is an user that just want to sell just a vintage or old thing, they charge a lot, I think is better no more use ebay to sell, maybe to buy, and maybe, I understand the way the the asians used to list their fake items a 1 cent olus 15 dls pf s&h, but it was a job for ebay to take them apart from the site
Message 777 of 1,161
latest reply

Just sold two PC graphics cards for about $700 total. Between eBay's final value fee and PayPal (which we're forced to use these days) taking a portion I ended up paying almost $100 in fees. That's, what, roughly 14%? Nope, never again eBay. I've been an active member since 2000 and from this point forward I won't buy or sell here anymore. The beauty of the internet is that if you aren't lazy then you can pretty much find whatever you're looking for and usually at a better price/value than you'd get here. There are plenty of alternative outlets for selling as well; ones that, you know, don't shake you down for everything you've got.

How does it go... pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered? Sayonara, eBay!

Message 778 of 1,161
latest reply

wow ebay has the market so I guess instead of doing whats right and effectively stopping sellers from inflating their shipping they're going to stick it to all sellers because they can because they have the largest market of consumers. Why on earth does ebay need so much of our money 10% of what we get and 10% of what we pay for shipping? Thats ridiculous. If you sell something thats heavy you should take a loss because you sold it on ebay? Take off ebay, a lot of people sell their stuff because they are struggling to get by and its the only way to make ends meet. 10% of the sale isn't enough for you???? I think the initial fee is too much as it is. I recently sold an item because I needed some money back. It was a $30 item and quite heavy it only sold for $8 and the shipping was over 9$ I only got 8 back on my $30 item but then with ebay's fees I got about $6. For a $30 item. I was never informed that shipping fees were now added. I would have never sold it on ebay. That was a $24 loss for me. Your greed will be your undoing ebay. 

Message 779 of 1,161
latest reply

Wow , lot of people complaining and for a good reason I see.  Let me add to the mix.   I haven't sold in a while on Ebay, (Feebay)   but I just sold a camera lens for  $153.99......+ 12.99 for shipping which was total of $166.98.   Ebay fees were as followed:

$1.30 for final value fee on shipping,

$3.00 for a reserved price on auction fee

and $15.40 for  final value fee totaling  $19.70.  

Add in PayPals cut as they get their mits on the pot and your left with basically feces !    You can't  even get a ahead selling off  little stuff.  I dont do this for a living but I dont know how people do after they get bent over on every single transaction.  Ladeis and gentlemen, Its all about Greed and these posts wer put up dont mean a thing to Ebay.  This is why EBay CEO  John Donahoe’s "2014"  pay totaled $14.1 million , laughing all the way to the bank . His salary goes up every year and our pockets go dry.  Were just getting it up the Kulu.   Thank you Mr Donahoe.

Message 780 of 1,161
latest reply