cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY ALLOWS BUYER THEFT

Ok so much to my suprise (Im not suprised by much Ebay does these Days so thats saying alot) I had a buyer who bought a $150 Beta Player from me which was tested and working perfectly. Buyer contacted me and says the Beta player does not work. Through discussions we decide to have him send it back for a full refund.

I get the package back and much to my bewilderment I see theres a cheapo VHS player in the package not the high end BETA player I sent him. I contact ebay regarding the situation and am told the office for this is closed but to call back the next day and they would note on the account that this had happened so it doesnt effect my seller status. Lo and behold that night he escalates it and they find in his favor almost immediately.

I call the next day and am told to take pictures and appeal the case. I do this and call right back as instructed only to be told the appeal will be decided in the buyers favor again!!!! I talk to them and throughout the discussion am told that ebay does not protect the seller in these cases. As they are not there to see the buyer package the item or when I open the package they will not cover it. They tell me this is just a part of the cost of doing buisness. WHAT?????

In turn I talk to another ebay representative and am told that nothing will be done as they no longer cover sellers on this nor protect them. I asked a very simple question saying whats to stop me from buying a few high end items and saying they dont work sending back bricks in a box and getting to keep that item and get my money back. They said nothing we are smarter than the buyers and track their records to see any patterns. I ask so if I buy 100 items in a month and do this to five sellers the tracking would pick it up? She blatently told me "No your 100% right but theres nothing we can do! We here at ebay believe that the majority of people are good and honest.

So what the hell does ebay protect us as sellers from? And anyone knows on the internet most people are NOT honest and good..... My question is has anyone else had this happen and what does ebay protect us from? The buyers are protected 100% on everything and the sellers get the shaft on most things! I am so frustrated and ready to be done with this site.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: EBAY ALLOWS BUYER THEFT

So you accept the way things are or go find something else to do, those are your only real choices.

btw I disagree with you about most internet buyers being honest, I'm quite sure most are but there are enough of the others out there to ruin you if you are not careful.

The picture isn't me, it is the world's bestest grandson
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

You can file a Mail Fraud complaint with USPS (Merchandise/Internet) and open a case w IC3 for internet fraud.

https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/contactus/filecomplaint.aspx

http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Either one may or may not get your money back, but there will be a record.

some sellers have had success posting these official complaints to the Resolution Center on appeals and winning, but since your case was already appealed and lost, not sure what more can be done.

U.S. Community Volunteer

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Your only recourse is to-

1) Stop calling eBay,they will not help you nor believe you.

2) Block the User's ID immediately and cease all contact with them

3) Take the loss on that Beta unit,there are times as an eBay seller you must take the loss.

4) Move on and continue with your sales as before.

sorry this happened but its open season for theft on eBay now

Loose Cannon
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

It is not ebays fault that a Dishonest Buyer bilked you out of your goods....It's an issue between you and the buyer...

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

I am a relatively new seller, and last week I had a similar incident involving a sale of greater than $500.00.  A buyer stated that a NIB electronic item did not work when plugged in - DOA.  I opened a case to cancel the transaction, and asked the buyer to respond.  He replied he was told by eBay not to do anything to until I had provided a refund.  So I called eBay, and the rep said I had opened a case for an instance where the item had not been shipped yet, ie the wrong action.  He encouraged me to communicate with the buyer.  I asked: "So I should make a refund and send a return label?"  (I don't have a problem paying return shipping for a defective item)  He said yes, that would be the way to do it.  Short story, no return, and I am stuck.  I am told now there is nothing to do but report the buyer.

I do believe most buyers are honest, but there needs to be a mechanism whereby eBay and PayPal hold a refund until the return is made and verified, just as they do with sales income.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Between ebay and paypal I have lost thousands of dollars. I have only been protected one time and that was buying electronics that didnt work.

I have seen paypal allow reversals on ebay motors auctions upwards of $5,000.  These companies have no humans, its all automated and no tracking number automatically means payment reversal. Want to scam someone? Log into your paypal account under a proxy, buy a bunch of stuff, then claim your account was hacked. Instant theft. Happens all day long, criminal groups in certain countries recruit buyers to snatch up expensive items that are reversible (no proof of delivery) by the hundreds, all day long,then resell the items.  Open a case and a computer robot ebay rep will close it for you 20 mins after proving you delivered item.  They follow no institutionalized guidlines, only orders from uncle Moneybags. You can have a lawyer send them legally accepted proof that digital goods were delivered and its their policy to give the buyer his money back automatically and let him keeps the goods,whatever they are he stold from you (including a vehicle in at least 2 cases I have seen).

IT IS A LEGAL AND MORAL CRIME TO TAKE MONEY FROM SOMEONE WHO WAS PAID, YET THIS IS PAYPAL/EBAYS ETHICAL POLICY.  Which shows what agenda they are working for.   They claim to escrow the funds until the dispute is resolved. The 'resoultion period' is non existent. COMPLETELY NON EXISTENT.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

@candoappliances wrote:

I do believe most buyers are honest, but there needs to be a mechanism whereby eBay and PayPal hold a refund until the return is made and verified, just as they do with sales income.

There is. It's called "don't refund until the item is returned". Never, ever refund without getting the item back, unless it's an inexpensive item and the buyer can prove it's broken.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

@pretty_good_week_in_vegas wrote:

@candoappliances wrote:

There is. It's called "don't refund until the item is returned". Never, ever refund without getting the item back, unless it's an inexpensive item and the buyer can prove it's broken.

Call me naive, which I was, but it would have been nice if the eBay human rep had advised "Normally you ask the buyer to return the item THEN make the refund, especially on such a high price item."  Instead, he encouraged making the refund first.

From what I am reading there are numerous scams of this type, and eBay should put this "return before refund" procedure front and center for all new sellers, with fair warning that they will do nothing (or can do nothing) to protect you against fraud.

I still believe that eBay would do well to create a way for sellers to make refunds and hold the funds until the seller confirms the return is received.  That way honest buyers and sellers both would feel they are protected from the unscrupulous minority.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Thats what the ebay rep said not me....I totally believe that 99% of the internet community are just out to screw people.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Ok so why am I paying so many insane fees on the items as well as final value items AS WELL AS Shipping which I might add is a whole nother issue with ebay! But if I am paying these fees I expect to be covered and protected much as they protect the buyers. Otherwise why would I not just sell on craigslist or amazon, etc? I used ebay for so many years because they protected me from situations like these.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I didnt they took the money when the case was opened and held it till they did the above to me. Ebay was called prior to the case being closed and informed I was sent the wrong item back and they did nothing but send the guy my money so I am out both item and cash. FML
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 13 of 13
latest reply