cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly Community Chat, May 31st @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community 👋

Please join the Community team at 1 pm Pacific today for our weekly chat. We do not have a set topic this week so feel free to ask us your buying or selling questions or share what's on your eBay mind. 

For the last couple of weeks, we've been sharing a link to a survey that we're currently conducting regarding the weekly chat format. If you haven't yet taken the survey, please do so via this link.

Talk to you at 1 pm!

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

@mg152 wrote:
Real quick I wanted to say, May 28 was my 18th year with ebay. I appreciate ebay because as a disabled person I'm able to make a little money. I get called an ebay cheerleader or whatever, I don't care. Call me what you will, ebay has NEVER done me wrong & I don't expect them to. Sometimes we get what we expect. If you expect bad things, bad things will happen!
Thank you ebay, CS, team leaders, moderators & everyone affiliated with ebay! It's been a great 18 yrs & hopefully 18 more to come.

18 years!!!! Nice!!!! Love it! 

Thanks for partnering with us all these years and for all that you do to help in our Community. heartheart heart

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 61 of 88
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

I am wondering if the mobile friendly checker tool is supposed to be available to everyone?  I have been using it for some time on my store ID.  My other ID just recently got switched to the new advanced listing tool, but  I wonder why the mobile friendly tool is not on it?

This tool is only available in the Quick Listing Tool, so would not be presented in the Advanced Tool you are using. You can always check your listings by visiting: http://www.ebay.com/tools/sell/mobile-friendly-test and inputting the item number for review.

Wait Now I am really confused.
I use the SYI form not a quick listing tool & I have this mobile checker, here is one of my drafts now

mobile friendly checker.JPG

Message 62 of 88
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dhbookds wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

I am wondering if the mobile friendly checker tool is supposed to be available to everyone?  I have been using it for some time on my store ID.  My other ID just recently got switched to the new advanced listing tool, but  I wonder why the mobile friendly tool is not on it?

This tool is only available in the Quick Listing Tool, so would not be presented in the Advanced Tool you are using. You can always check your listings by visiting: http://www.ebay.com/tools/sell/mobile-friendly-test and inputting the item number for review.

Why in the world?? Makes no sense if you want all the listings to be mobile friendly.    Is the advanced tool automatically inserting the code? 

If you don't have HTML in your listings you won't need to add the meta tag code. Adding it will optomize the listing for the device the buyer is viewing it on (such as a phone vs. a tablet), but is not required. 

Message 63 of 88
latest reply

alan@ebay wrote:

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

ebay has been rmoving "stale" listings., and advising us to make changes to the listings before re-listing them (if, indeed, we choose to relist) A few questions:

1. Are only GTC listings effected by this?

2. Does ebay uderstand that many experienced sellers of long tail items can point to example after example of listings that have sold after years on the site, without any changes? Some things are so far out in the long tail that they take a long time before the right buyer comes along.  Requiring changes in such cases is just more busywork for sellers.

3. I do understand that for multi-item listings, the lack of a sale within a year indicates a need to modify the listing. But that is simply not the case for many single item long tail items. Why doesn't ebay try meeting with experienced long tail sellers to get some input on this? Long tail selling is a different business model, and one ebay should encourage, not discourage by treating it as the same as multi-item commodity selling.

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques

We’ve heard this feedback from the Community this week and we do realize that sellers of long tail items (such as books) would like listings to stay on longer than a year. We’ve contacted the appropriate team here at eBay for more info, and we’ll update the thread when we know more.

Thank you. 

It would have to be GTC listings only.  We can't currently run an auction or FP [other than GTC] for a year.  So it has to be GTC only.  IMHO I think Ebay is out of line making this determination for sellers.  I'm perfectly capable of managing my business within the rules of Ebay of course.  I am not in need of Ebay deciding which of my listings should or shouldn't be active.  Ebay can make all the suggestions they want.  Some I may adopt and others won't work for me.  But that is MY decision to make, not Ebay's.

Ebay would be better served enforcing the rules that are currently not being enforced.  Like DUPLICATE listings.  I know they are working on that, but that is an actually policy that deserves the attention.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 64 of 88
latest reply

ebay recently changed Best Offer from 3 to 5 and in two categories 10 buyer offers. We have been told this is something some sellers requested.

OK, but how about this: Sellers who want to provide additional offers can opt in to 5 or 10 offers. Sellers who don't want more than three can stay with 3.

That would give those sellers what they want, and many other sellers what they want.

Think the team would consider that?

Message 65 of 88
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Here's another one for you.  It is also from an article on Eccomercebytes.  Some sellers are reporting to see a $$ value stated in the Request for return form in the resolution center for a Handling Fee!!  What the heck is that?  How does Ebay know what the seller's handling fee is?  There were at least 2 or 3 different posters stating they are seeing this during the Request for return process.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2017/5/1495764858.html/3/40#comments

Hi @mam98031 - As far as I'm aware, refunds always include the full amount paid by the buyer unless a restocking fee is charged. That said, I'm not sure the way this is being displayed has changed or if the refund process itself has changed. Regardless, I'll reach out to the teams who work on this process and update the thread once I know more. 

Yes, more info please.  FYI, full refunds are not the only thing a seller can do during a Request for Return process.  While Ebay does encourage it, during the REQUEST stage, Ebay is NOT involved and sellers can work with their customers to reach an agreed upon resolution which doesn't always mean a full refund will be issued by the seller.  Now if it gets escalated to a claim, that is different.  But it is always in the best interest of both the buyer and seller to fix things during the Request stage.

Definitely understandable, @mam98031. It seems we may have updated the wording within the return which is causing the frustration here but I want to make sure. I'll be in touch with you via email here shortly to see if I can get an example to send on. Thank you!

I am looking forward to getting the information.  When you provide the additional info, also please let me know how Ebay is determining MY handling fees?????  Are they going to force me to use whatever number they deem is appropriate?  How is Ebay determining my costs???  Oh so many questions.  I'll wait for your email.  Thank you.

Of course, @mam98031! It's already been sent slight_smile I just wanted to add that any handling fees would be selected by you without eBay's say. You would enter the amount through the listing directly and I'm assuming it would be the same amount for refunding purposes. I'll be on the lookout for your reply though & be in touch once I know more!

Message 66 of 88
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

alan@ebay,

alan@ebay wrote:

@imagizeyourworld wrote:

The eBay message "bots" see an eBay item number as "contact information"; so -- in an effort to stop potential off-eBay transactions -- sellers are not permitted to point a potential buyer to an item listing ON EBAY. This is counter-productive, to say the least.

Can we expect a fix? And if so, when?

Thank you.

Hi @imagizeyourworld.

That doesn't sound good. Was it on this account that you received this message? I cannot say when a "fix" will happen as you've just brought this to our attention, but we'll alert the appropriate team. 

Thanks. 

Actually this brings up a question I have about the orange warning that pops up when communicating with Buyers in Messaging ... I scratch my head and try to figure out what triggered the warning when there is no personal info being shared ... is this more of a deterent than a penalty type thing?  When that warning appears is the communication immediately forwarded to a special department for review to see if there is a violation?  Don't get me wrong, I am all about warnings and deterence, just want to know what happens to Seller & Buyer accounts when the odd warning crops up when in fact there is NO violation of Policy?

Hi @mr_lincoln

It's a deterrent. Notice of violations will be sent by email, seeing this message you're describing doesn't result in a policy violation. 

Thanks. 

Message 67 of 88
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@dbmm-media wrote:

how come ebay will not fix existing "glitches"  yet, ebay keeps adding more garbage? like 10 best offers, removing listings, search getting worse,etc.

maybe those smart guys running this site think its a good thing to have so many glitches, and dont need to be fixed.

Hi @dbmm-media - Online marketplaces are constantly evolving and we need to make sure we're keeping up with the changes. There occasionally will be issues due to the nature of online platforms but we work as quickly as we can to identify those and have them corrected. Thank you for your feedback though; it's comments like these that help us improve! slight_smile

Message 68 of 88
latest reply

Just when will MBG be fixed on listings ? 6 days now..................

Message 69 of 88
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

To my knowledge, I am not using the quick listing tool on my store ID.  I thought that form was limited in options and only allows for GTC listings.   It doesn't have a name anywhere, though.

I haven't looked at your link to see how to use that, but are you saying the handy checker tool can't be used when I list and I have to perform an action afterwards to comply with mobile visibility?  I don't understand why it isn't available for everyone when they list since it has been deemed to be important for buyers.

Message 70 of 88
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
Thanks Alan! Maybe you could invite the team to a Weekly Chat in the near future?

Thanks for the suggestion, will keep it in mind if the topic drives a lot of posts in the Community. 

Message 71 of 88
latest reply

Thank you all! We appreciate everything! ❤️❤️
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 72 of 88
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@wendybac wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

Could you please tell me how many "listing tools" there are?  I'm confused on names of them and what the differences are between them.  I thought I was safe from the "auto relist" which I thought was to be in the Quick List Tool.  Also thought the Quick List Tool was only for "occasional" listers or new comers.  Come to find out....I am seeing the Mobile friendly checker tool and I didn't think I was even in the Quick Listing Tool.  When I am at one of these listing tools to make a listing, exactly where do I find the name of the listing tool I am using?

Happy to share! Currently there are a total of four tools, though most sellers will only interact with two. We have the Quick Listing Tool, the Advanced Listing Tool and New versions of both. The New Quick Listing Tool is only for occasional and new sellers, while the older version is what you are likely using. The New Advanced Listing Tool is what you find when you navigate to the Advanced Tool, and the old version is only accessible for a very small percentage of sellers (and will be retired in the coming months). 

I know it would be easier if they had more unique names and I apologize for any confusion you have run into when talking about our listing tools. Based on the number of feedback you have, you would only be accessing the New Quick Listing Tool and the New Advanced Listing Tool.

Message 73 of 88
latest reply

I'd like to second this. Why in God's name would you "sneak" something like this thru?

I just removed BO from all my listings because I'm not going thru 10 offers or even 5. 3 is annoying enough sometimes.
Woadieland
DepressionGlassWarehouse
ebay seller since it was AuctionWeb
Message 74 of 88
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Here's another one for you.  It is also from an article on Eccomercebytes.  Some sellers are reporting to see a $$ value stated in the Request for return form in the resolution center for a Handling Fee!!  What the heck is that?  How does Ebay know what the seller's handling fee is?  There were at least 2 or 3 different posters stating they are seeing this during the Request for return process.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2017/5/1495764858.html/3/40#comments

Hi @mam98031 - As far as I'm aware, refunds always include the full amount paid by the buyer unless a restocking fee is charged. That said, I'm not sure the way this is being displayed has changed or if the refund process itself has changed. Regardless, I'll reach out to the teams who work on this process and update the thread once I know more. 

Yes, more info please.  FYI, full refunds are not the only thing a seller can do during a Request for Return process.  While Ebay does encourage it, during the REQUEST stage, Ebay is NOT involved and sellers can work with their customers to reach an agreed upon resolution which doesn't always mean a full refund will be issued by the seller.  Now if it gets escalated to a claim, that is different.  But it is always in the best interest of both the buyer and seller to fix things during the Request stage.

Definitely understandable, @mam98031. It seems we may have updated the wording within the return which is causing the frustration here but I want to make sure. I'll be in touch with you via email here shortly to see if I can get an example to send on. Thank you!

I am looking forward to getting the information.  When you provide the additional info, also please let me know how Ebay is determining MY handling fees?????  Are they going to force me to use whatever number they deem is appropriate?  How is Ebay determining my costs???  Oh so many questions.  I'll wait for your email.  Thank you.

Of course, @mam98031! It's already been sent slight_smile I just wanted to add that any handling fees would be selected by you without eBay's say. You would enter the amount through the listing directly and I'm assuming it would be the same amount for refunding purposes. I'll be on the lookout for your reply though & be in touch once I know more!

Although eBay sometimes zeroes out the handling fee when you relist, so be sure to check that.

Message 75 of 88
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: