cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weekly Community Chat, May 31st @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

Hi Community 👋

Please join the Community team at 1 pm Pacific today for our weekly chat. We do not have a set topic this week so feel free to ask us your buying or selling questions or share what's on your eBay mind. 

For the last couple of weeks, we've been sharing a link to a survey that we're currently conducting regarding the weekly chat format. If you haven't yet taken the survey, please do so via this link.

Talk to you at 1 pm!

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 1 of 88
latest reply
87 REPLIES 87

Re: Weekly Community Chat, May 31st @ 1pm PT - General Topics

alan@ebay wrote:

@imagizeyourworld wrote:

The eBay message "bots" see an eBay item number as "contact information"; so -- in an effort to stop potential off-eBay transactions -- sellers are not permitted to point a potential buyer to an item listing ON EBAY. This is counter-productive, to say the least.

Can we expect a fix? And if so, when?

Thank you.

Hi @imagizeyourworld.

That doesn't sound good. Was it on this account that you received this message? I cannot say when a "fix" will happen as you've just brought this to our attention, but we'll alert the appropriate team. 

Thanks. 

I have had this problem, too. When I have related items for sale, I want to inform someone who has bought one of them that the other items are available...in case the buyer wants to buy other items, and take advantage of combined shipping.

eBay always tells me I can't put contact information in a message when I include the item number(s) in a message...although it doesn't stop me from sending the message.

Message 46 of 88
latest reply

Real quick I wanted to say, May 28 was my 18th year with ebay. I appreciate ebay because as a disabled person I'm able to make a little money. I get called an ebay cheerleader or whatever, I don't care. Call me what you will, ebay has NEVER done me wrong & I don't expect them to. Sometimes we get what we expect. If you expect bad things, bad things will happen!
Thank you ebay, CS, team leaders, moderators & everyone affiliated with ebay! It's been a great 18 yrs & hopefully 18 more to come.
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 47 of 88
latest reply

Sorry if my last post was out of line but it hurts to get called names just because I'm not unhappy with ebay. In fact, I love ebay!
Patricia
eBay member for 25 years
Message 48 of 88
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

I am wondering if the mobile friendly checker tool is supposed to be available to everyone?  I have been using it for some time on my store ID.  My other ID just recently got switched to the new advanced listing tool, but  I wonder why the mobile friendly tool is not on it?

This tool is only available in the Quick Listing Tool, so would not be presented in the Advanced Tool you are using. You can always check your listings by visiting: http://www.ebay.com/tools/sell/mobile-friendly-test and inputting the item number for review.

Why in the world?? Makes no sense if you want all the listings to be mobile friendly.    Is the advanced tool automatically inserting the code? 

Message 49 of 88
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@dazzlecity wrote:
I proceed according to the ebay reps instructions - I asked for a feedback revision but held out little hope since the buyer never contacted me before leaving the negative. Had they taken the appropriate path which ebay tells them to do I would have taken the item back in a heartbeat but this buyer was bent on destroying my good reputation

Hi @dazzlecity - Negative feedback is never fun to receive but especially so when you aren't given the chance to make things right. If the buyer hasn't gotten back to you, I suggest replying to the feedback with a professional comment explaining what you can do to resolve the issue. That way any potential buyers will be able to see how you handle a negative situation like this. More times than not, a reply like that can reassure future buyers and build confidence with them.

Just to add a little more information.  Personally I never send a FB revision form to a buyer until we have communicated and the buyer is willing to work things out.  There is 3 good reasons for this IMHO.  You only have a certain amount of these forms available to you.  They have a shelf life, so if your buyer does not know it is coming or has communicated that they might agree to a revision, it could time out without any resolution to the matter for you.  You can't send them another form as it is one per any given FB.  

How do I know if I'm eligible to submit a Feedback revision request?

• You can submit 5 Feedback revision requests for every 1,000 Feedback comments you've received in the past 12 consecutive months. High-volume sellers (who earn more than 1,000 Feedback comments a year) can send more requests. We limit the number of requests so that sellers can focus on providing great service up front, not fixing problems after they happen.

• You can request only 1 Feedback revision per transaction.

• Feedback revision requests do not carry over from year to year.

• Feedback left by users who are currently suspended do not qualify for revision.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 50 of 88
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

ebay has been rmoving "stale" listings., and advising us to make changes to the listings before re-listing them (if, indeed, we choose to relist) A few questions:

1. Are only GTC listings effected by this?

2. Does ebay uderstand that many experienced sellers of long tail items can point to example after example of listings that have sold after years on the site, without any changes? Some things are so far out in the long tail that they take a long time before the right buyer comes along.  Requiring changes in such cases is just more busywork for sellers.

3. I do understand that for multi-item listings, the lack of a sale within a year indicates a need to modify the listing. But that is simply not the case for many single item long tail items. Why doesn't ebay try meeting with experienced long tail sellers to get some input on this? Long tail selling is a different business model, and one ebay should encourage, not discourage by treating it as the same as multi-item commodity selling.

Hi @my-cottage-books-and-antiques

We’ve heard this feedback from the Community this week and we do realize that sellers of long tail items (such as books) would like listings to stay on longer than a year. We’ve contacted the appropriate team here at eBay for more info, and we’ll update the thread when we know more.

Thank you. 

Alan - eBay Community Manager

If a member's response helped, please give it a Helpful. If you are the author of a thread and a member's response resolved your question, please click "Accept as Solution." More on Accepted Solutions.

Check out the eBay for Business podcast! For your chance to be featured on the show, call in with a question at 888 723-4630!

Message 51 of 88
latest reply

alan@ebay,

alan@ebay wrote:

@imagizeyourworld wrote:

The eBay message "bots" see an eBay item number as "contact information"; so -- in an effort to stop potential off-eBay transactions -- sellers are not permitted to point a potential buyer to an item listing ON EBAY. This is counter-productive, to say the least.

Can we expect a fix? And if so, when?

Thank you.

Hi @imagizeyourworld.

That doesn't sound good. Was it on this account that you received this message? I cannot say when a "fix" will happen as you've just brought this to our attention, but we'll alert the appropriate team. 

Thanks. 

Actually this brings up a question I have about the orange warning that pops up when communicating with Buyers in Messaging ... I scratch my head and try to figure out what triggered the warning when there is no personal info being shared ... is this more of a deterent than a penalty type thing?  When that warning appears is the communication immediately forwarded to a special department for review to see if there is a violation?  Don't get me wrong, I am all about warnings and deterence, just want to know what happens to Seller & Buyer accounts when the odd warning crops up when in fact there is NO violation of Policy?

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 52 of 88
latest reply

Thanks Alan! Maybe you could invite the team to a Weekly Chat in the near future?
Message 53 of 88
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@upscale_shop wrote:

@Anonymous

One last question from me: Has the viewcounter causing items to not be searchable issue been fully fixed? I was impacted starting about mid April, as far as I can tell. Usually, listings have several views within the first 48 hours, but I have been noticing some that sit at 1 view even after 24 hours (AFAIK there should be 2 indexing views within the first 24 hours regardless).

Thanks, Heidi!

@upscale_shop - I'm not aware of any issues regarding the viewcounter and discrepancies that would have a negative impact on search results. That said, it sounds like something may have been fixed or resolved. Definitely keep an eye on things and let us know if you see anything wonky. 

Message 54 of 88
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

Here's another one for you.  It is also from an article on Eccomercebytes.  Some sellers are reporting to see a $$ value stated in the Request for return form in the resolution center for a Handling Fee!!  What the heck is that?  How does Ebay know what the seller's handling fee is?  There were at least 2 or 3 different posters stating they are seeing this during the Request for return process.

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/blog/blog.pl?/comments/2017/5/1495764858.html/3/40#comments

Hi @mam98031 - As far as I'm aware, refunds always include the full amount paid by the buyer unless a restocking fee is charged. That said, I'm not sure the way this is being displayed has changed or if the refund process itself has changed. Regardless, I'll reach out to the teams who work on this process and update the thread once I know more. 

Yes, more info please.  FYI, full refunds are not the only thing a seller can do during a Request for Return process.  While Ebay does encourage it, during the REQUEST stage, Ebay is NOT involved and sellers can work with their customers to reach an agreed upon resolution which doesn't always mean a full refund will be issued by the seller.  Now if it gets escalated to a claim, that is different.  But it is always in the best interest of both the buyer and seller to fix things during the Request stage.

Definitely understandable, @mam98031. It seems we may have updated the wording within the return which is causing the frustration here but I want to make sure. I'll be in touch with you via email here shortly to see if I can get an example to send on. Thank you!

I am looking forward to getting the information.  When you provide the additional info, also please let me know how Ebay is determining MY handling fees?????  Are they going to force me to use whatever number they deem is appropriate?  How is Ebay determining my costs???  Oh so many questions.  I'll wait for your email.  Thank you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 55 of 88
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@fern*wood wrote:

I am wondering if the mobile friendly checker tool is supposed to be available to everyone?  I have been using it for some time on my store ID.  My other ID just recently got switched to the new advanced listing tool, but  I wonder why the mobile friendly tool is not on it?

This tool is only available in the Quick Listing Tool, so would not be presented in the Advanced Tool you are using. You can always check your listings by visiting: http://www.ebay.com/tools/sell/mobile-friendly-test and inputting the item number for review.

Could you please tell me how many "listing tools" there are?  I'm confused on names of them and what the differences are between them.  I thought I was safe from the "auto relist" which I thought was to be in the Quick List Tool.  Also thought the Quick List Tool was only for "occasional" listers or new comers.  Come to find out....I am seeing the Mobile friendly checker tool and I didn't think I was even in the Quick Listing Tool.  When I am at one of these listing tools to make a listing, exactly where do I find the name of the listing tool I am using?

Message 56 of 88
latest reply

how come ebay will not fix existing "glitches"  yet, ebay keeps adding more garbage? like 10 best offers, removing listings, search getting worse,etc.

maybe those smart guys running this site think its a good thing to have so many glitches, and dont need to be fixed.

Message 57 of 88
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mg152 wrote:
Real quick I wanted to say, May 28 was my 18th year with ebay. I appreciate ebay because as a disabled person I'm able to make a little money. I get called an ebay cheerleader or whatever, I don't care. Call me what you will, ebay has NEVER done me wrong & I don't expect them to. Sometimes we get what we expect. If you expect bad things, bad things will happen!
Thank you ebay, CS, team leaders, moderators & everyone affiliated with ebay! It's been a great 18 yrs & hopefully 18 more to come.

Happy eBay Birthday! So so so happy to hear that our platform has been so helpful for you! Thank you for being with us for so long and don't ever hesitate to reach out if you need anything 🙂

Message 58 of 88
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Community Team!

I have two questions today:

1.   When printing using eBay's bulk shipping tool, USPS Priority Mail Express labels cannot be printed with the bulk batch. I always have to remove USPS Express Mail shipments from the bulk batch and print the labels individually. Am I doing something wrong, or has there always been a technical issue preventing Express labels from being printed with a bulk batch?

2.   Last week my seller account was hit with a defect for a Paypal "case closed without seller resolution". This arose from a buyer who started a remorse retun in eBay (hassle-free, automated return) yet did not follow through with that return process and instead escalated the case by opening a Paypal dispute, which was then wrongly escalated before allowing the seller to respond. Paypal agreed to change the case decision to one of no-fault on the seller's part, and the defect has since been removed by eBay. My question is, does eBay have a policy in place to notify sellers as soon as a defect is recorded on the account?

The only reason I found out about the defect is because I happened to check my seller dashboard stats. I normally don't often check that section of my dashboard. I did not receive any email or notification from eBay or Paypal that a defect was recorded. It would be helpful to be notified, so I'm wondering if this should have been done. If not, please consider doing so.

Thank you!

Hey @Anonymous, happy to address these concerns:

1. I can't think of anything you could be doing wrong with this info, but am happy to look into it with you. I'll email you to gather more details and test this out on my end. It may be a bug we can get reported to our tech teams.

2. While I don't know of any plans to send notifications for PayPal related defects, I can definitely pass this suggestion along to see what we can do about better informing our sellers of impacts to their account.

Thank you, @Anonymous Smiley Happy

Today I had a USPS Priority Express shipment, but I didn't even attempt to print it with the bulk batch, knowing that usually it gets rejected.   I'll try again next time I get an Express.   I'll touch base via email to give you more details about the issue.

For the defect notification, an email from eBay plus an "orange bell" alert would be nice, IMO.  As defects have such an impact on sellers' accounts, notification seems proper.   But for sellers who DON'T want to be notified of such defects, perhaps the system can be set up to give each seller the choice of whether to opt-in / opt-out of such notifications.

Looking forward to getting your email with more details so we can dig into this. I also like your suggestion for the notification bell and an opt-in / opt-out process. I'll be sure to pass this along!

Let me add my enthusiastic vote to this proposal.

Over the last six months, I have had 4 "late shipment" defects...all caused by Media Mail packages getting lost or damaged in transit. I have now started monitoring all Media Mail packages, and immediately contacting the buyer when I see a package disappear (i.e., in transit for 5+ days after leaving the LA sorting office, without being seen anywhere else). But I have to eat those 4 defects I already got, because I didn't know about them in time.

Message 59 of 88
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mg152 wrote:

Congratulations, @mg152! 18-years is quite the accomplishment! Keep up the great work and thank you so much for all you do, you eBay cheerleader wink heart_eyes

Message 60 of 88
latest reply
About this Board

Welcome to the Retired Monthly Chat with eBay Staff board! This board contains past chats with eBay Community team members along with eBay product teams.

For eBay news and information see:

Consider posting on one of these boards for input from fellow eBay members: