cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the deal with oniss watches?

wthames
Enthusiast
The ad claims the oniss "submariner" retails for $1995 but there is no reserve and It sold for $129. Are these fakes or are they misrepresented? If so do they have any value? I can find only scarce info on the web. Please help.
Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: what is the deal with oniss watches?

lilfoot28358
Enthusiast
I was crusen' past some old threads, feedback is from the nice folks that care to leave it , My lil red star says one thing and my sales say another . I guess 1 in 5 or 6 buyers leave feedback, I do and shop again when treated right. I listed an oniss ladies and the back says 18k gold plated . nice lil movement in it and took off tickin' when a new battery was installed. This lil watch looks good and the date code inside made finding the year very easy. It will be you ( the buyer ) that give a name for this watch as you are the one wearing it. After handling this lil ladies watch I hope to run across a men's chrono , I just might keep it. Hope this helps...steve...
Ya'll stop by " our neck of the woods "...steve-n-renees-place...
Message 46 of 74
latest reply

I have so many Oniss watches that I lost count. I adore this brand. If you need anything repaired or replaced, they are very reputable and stand behind their quality timepieces. Just look up Nisimov Watch Company on the web. They are located on Hill Street in Los Angeles, CA. They do provide a telephone number. I own Movado and Gucci and Rado but I prefer my Oniss watches. They are so beautiful and very high quality. I have yet to experience problems with any of my Oniss (knock on wood). I believe they are an incredible value for such high-end quality and style. Their mission statement is to make high-end watches affordable to all people without the ridiculous price increases we are forced to pay just to sport a designer's name. I love Oniss. They are an up and coming watch brand that is steadily gaining recognition. Much better than the overrated Michael Kors brand which is really Fossil and has a poor track record for reliability.I think Oniss is compared to Rado because Rado was the first watch maker to use ceramic. Oniss has incredibly beautiful ceramic watches in every design imaginable!
Message 47 of 74
latest reply

so I take it you work for the Oniss watch company
Life has become immeasurably better since I have chosen to stop taking it seriously.
Message 48 of 74
latest reply

I like my 1961 Timex 21 jewel windup - thank you
Life has become immeasurably better since I have chosen to stop taking it seriously.
Message 49 of 74
latest reply

I wore a 21j Hamilton 992 from about 1915 today. I paid less for it than most of the Oniss watches listed on Ebay.

Anyone want to guess which one has a better chance of still running 100 years from now?
Message 50 of 74
latest reply

What's worse than the watches themselves are the shameless plugs they received ... kinda the difference between trying to hold your vomit and spewing all over the place.

Seen a few oniss ... nothing special, some look good because they copied the style (poorly I might add) from other brands.

To me, wearing a watch like that is almost like walking around in a cardboard box drawn to look like a BMW.
Message 51 of 74
latest reply

like walking around in a cardboard box drawn to look like a BMW.

I like the simile.
=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 52 of 74
latest reply

I disagree. I own a BMW. Wearing an Oniss watch is like driving a BMW instead of a Mercedes. BMW is better than Mercedes. Mercedes just has the public fooled into thinking they are the ultimate automobile. Savvy people are well aware of this.
Message 53 of 74
latest reply

Touche'. But don't underestimate the Swiss movement in the Oniss. Only time will tell. I have great respect for the quality of vintage watches too.
Message 54 of 74
latest reply

BMW is better than Mercedes

As stupid as saying apples are better than oranges. Both are very good, but as different in philosophy as the fruit are in shape and taste.

I can't imagine who would think Mercedes or BMW any kind of ultimate.
=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Message 55 of 74
latest reply

true, Benz and/or BMW are certainly not the ultimate in the automobile industry- they're just the perfect example of people's perception of prestige ~ which is what brands like Oniss tries to do, give you that deceptive perception of luxury fine watches.

Like I mentioned before, I have no problem with Oniss as a watch - well, besides them blatantly copying other brands -

my biggest problem with Oniss is their marketing scheme, it's rather insulting (and people plugging them as if they're something special)

if I see anyone with an Oniss, I think of 3 type of people:
1. chump
2. they like the watch because of its look, they know about the fake MSRP, they bought it because they like it (I hope many people fall into this category)
or
3. trying to impress people ... but who are they kidding

And nothing special about their movements - that's why they dont/wont divulge that information - I wont be surprise if they're running on a $5 movement - and I'm being generous (actually, I would be surprise if it's more than that).

The cost is on the cosmetic for these watches.
Message 56 of 74
latest reply

And nothing special about their movements - that's why they dont/wont divulge that information - I wont be surprise if they're running on a $5 movement - and I'm being generous (actually, I would be surprise if it's more than that).

The cost is on the cosmetic for these watches.

I really can't aggree. I have a watchsmith who takes care of all of my family's time pieces, and he has commented on several occasions on how good the quality of the Oniss watches is. I have had one seal fail on an Oniss while swiming, and Nisimov replaced the movement without question.
Message 57 of 74
latest reply

carl1425
Enthusiast
The Oniss watch's sold on web sites mentioned by others, are indeed older models not sold in a timely mannor due to design or over production.. Newer models of most watch prices, are keystone. a minium of 100% mark-up retail. After a couple years, retooling cost of new models return to the mark up buss. as usual, allowing a retail value of the old anything anything recoverable. Besides a 1K retail Mavado may cost as little as $50, to manufactor after production hits expectations. That is why you can buy an Aquaswiss, suggested retail value of $1,650, for $300. Its brand new but may be several years in the box. C
Message 58 of 74
latest reply

lajoyce48
Enthusiast

I agree, I have 2, lost one over the week end and am heart sick, the one that were made 5 or 6 years ago were better, but they really are great watches and they look good while they work.

Message 59 of 74
latest reply

LOL 🙂

so u own a BMW, well that's nice. My Merk just got 12 years and I'm not planning to sell it before she makes a million miles.

Message 60 of 74
latest reply