cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to ELIMINATE CLUTTER from your life forever!

dr.declutter
Enthusiast
Hi everyone. I figured there had to be others out there in the millions of eBayers who want to eliminate clutter. So I decided to create a discussion thread and a "ME" page all about clutter and how to get rid of it and how to keep it out of our lives forever.

Personally I know my clutter problem took years to accumulate, and will take some time and effort to make things "normal" again. But I'm ready to dedicate myself to the effort. I'd like to discuss the tips and strategies necessary not just to eliminate clutter but to become the kind of person who does not ACCUMULATE CLUTTER in the first place! If you are interesting in creating a clutter-free life then let's talk!
Message 1 of 331
latest reply
330 REPLIES 330

Re: How to ELIMINATE CLUTTER from your life forever!

Nonny, so sorry to hear about your DH!!!  What did the doctor say about the state of his arm?  I hope it's not too bad!  Poor guy has gone through so much already.

BridgeCreek: Housekeeping is such a large task, isn't it.  I had no idea as a young girl what I was in for.  My goodness it can be overwhelming.  I hope to some day be flying like Flylady says.

Update: Donation truck came recently - Woo-hoo.  Another visit will be next week.  I don't have a lot set aside yet, but we'll see...

Right now I am working on housekeeping, papers, home repair and projects. My goodness there is a lot to do here.

Message 316 of 331
latest reply

wishing you a Decluttered February 2012~~

Message 317 of 331
latest reply

bridgecreekcharm
Enthusiast

I finally got started back to sorting and ridding some clutter.  I worked and cleaned on a bookcase this week-end.  took books to the library to donate and have 5 bags ready got throw out.  i hope to get bck to some more tomorrow.

Message 318 of 331
latest reply

I just found this topic and thought it was about ex wives. If you need advice about that contact me off the forum.;-)

Message 319 of 331
latest reply

Subject: RESILIENT ~~~

Webster's definition of "resilient" is...springing back; rebounding, returning to the original form or position after being bent, compressed, or stretched, recovering readily from illness, depression, adversity, or the like; buoyant.

"In a harsh storm,  the palm tree bends instead of breaks. After you have done all you can during your financial storm, health storm or relationships storm, just stand and be resilient.  Bend... but don't break.  

Be flexible and stay grounded in your faith.   Remember, this, too, shall pass.  Don't allow the difficulty and disappointments to make your heart hard like a stone.  Remember you are not alone. 

The wisdom of the elders teaches, "It's a good life...if you don't weaken."

Learn know how to mourn the inevitable losses in life. Know how to let go of things that you have no control over.  Look at adversity as a challenge rather than as a threat.  Realize that no matter how the present situation turns out, you can choose to learn and grow from it. Sometimes your life circumstances are not there to punish you but to push you to another level of faith, understanding, courage, integrity, love, leadership or maturity.

Resilience is one of the most important emotional intelligence coping skills you can have in today's fast-changing world. It means being able to bounce back after setbacks, failures, disappointments and losses. It means not giving up, and continuing to face the future with optimism, faith and courage despite the stress, sadness, storm, shifting, shaking and surprising events of life.  Your pain can change, however, faith requires patience."

-------Jewel Diamond Taylor

sorry so long... just was very appropriate for the present time and wanted to share.

Message 320 of 331
latest reply

Thanks for the post, Robn!

Message 321 of 331
latest reply

dr.declutter
Enthusiast

Well, I'm dropping in this old thread to say hello, and to say I'm still struggling with clutter. My part time eBay business has contributed immeasurably to the problem, but I'm still hoping to dig out of it all and to actually show a profit from all my ebay efforts.

In thinking about this thread, I really should have called it "How to take FOREVER to eliminate clutter from your life!" because forever is what it seems like to me.

Some progress: in the past few weeks I organized my packing and shipping supplies for my eBay sales. And as a goal I hope to get all eBay items off the first floor level of my home and down in the basement or out in the garage in the next week or so.

I hope everyone who drops by this thread gets something good out of it. I know I'll be re-reading the posts again to gather more inspiration and ideas and hope. Thanks to all who have contributed.

Dr. Declutter

Message 322 of 331
latest reply

I too, am a clutter freak.  One day, I noticed my neighbor (who always has a clean tidy house on the inside) put out 3 large bags of trash for the trash pickup.  I had only 1 bag.  Now it occured to me that we both lived in identical homes and had the same number of occupants living in the house.  Why, then, did she have 3 bags and I only one?  Well, she decluttered her house every trash day.  Whoa.  I can do that too.  So I bought a bigger trash can and large trash bags (30 gallon). Next trash day I had 3 big bags of trash too.  And my house was on its way to being decluttered.  My solution to clutter is simple.  Get more junk out of your house each week than what comes into the house.  Makes sense.  Being an ebay seller, I  do not get attached to the things I sell.  If they don't sell.  Give away, either to the trashman or goodwill or any other needy place.  Wishing all of you better decluttering days ahead.  Your world will be a much better place.  There is always room for improvement.  A place for everything and everything in it's place. 

Message 323 of 331
latest reply

MID-JUNE 2013 ! 

Wishing the DeClutter Group a great day!

don't know how long this thread will be around with the changes coming to the Boards.

Best Wishes On Elimating Clutter Projects!

robn

Message 324 of 331
latest reply

Hi Sweet Robn!

I hope things are well with you!

Have you checked out The Tidy Tutor on youtube?  I LOVE :-x her videos and have found much encouragement there!  I think you will like her too!  She is in New Jersey.

I really think I am in a much better place clutter-wise than I was those years ago.  I think the garage is the last frontier.  I have just focused on decluttering my things.  (My husband's heart is God's frontier.)  The kids declutter on their own now without prompting from me.  I guess we are in the habit, and that is a blessing.  I watch youtube videos pretty much every day to keep motivated.  My house is so much more manageable thanks to routines, built one at a time, influenced by flylady and now The Tidy Tutor. 

There are some good talks on living with less on youtube also.  I know you go to church, so I want to recommend the youtube video titled Minimalism and the Bible.  It was impactful to me.  I hope these things will encourage you!

Wishing you blessings!

Message 325 of 331
latest reply

"Wishing the DeClutter Group a great day!"

I thought this said "Wishing the group a great Declutter Day!"

I think this is a great idea.  One day a week or a month all of the declutterers ... declutter.  They can take pictures or list guidelines they used that day.  For example, my guideline for tomorrow is going to be, "If I stepped on it and it broke, would I miss it or would I be secretly relieved?"

Strength in numbers!  Let's do this!

Message 326 of 331
latest reply

I just want to say that this a great thread.  I have always believed that a cluttered home creates clutter elsewhere in a persons life whether it be their job or their thoughts.

SIGNATURE

"In the 13 months that I've been in the Senate, it has become apparent to me that the single thing that Republicans fear the most -- and that is when they're forced to tell the truth. It makes their heads explode," Ted Cruz 2/13/14

Message 327 of 331
latest reply

Clutter can be tough to get ride of. However, once this overwhelming clutter problem has been removed from the home it can be beneficial in keeping your home clutter free. There are specialty cleaning companies that are avaiable to assist you with the clutter problems and leave your home immaculate.

Message 328 of 331
latest reply

clutter is not hard to get rid off as it easy to sell unwanted items on facebook with out paying the high ebay fee's

Message 329 of 331
latest reply

This thread started in 2006, but the information in this thread is timeless and useful! So many sellers fall into the trap of buying inventory faster than they can list it and then it piles up! It's easier said than done, but it's important to not get overwhelmed by the inventory!
Message 330 of 331
latest reply