cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International CCI Convention, Cambridge England, June 2010

Now that the 6th Western Hemisphere meeting of CCI has reached a successufl conclusion, it is time for announcing that the next International CCI Convention, will be in Cambridge England in June 2010. If anybody reading this wants to get advance notice of the details of the meeting, email me at Lichess@aol.com. Floyd Sarisohn
Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: International CCI Convention, Cambridge England, June 2010

This meeting was one heck of an experience, and well worth the money spent. It was simply a festival of chess and friendship building, and I loved every darned second of it.
Message 16 of 24
latest reply

Jim, Guy... Welcome "back home". Glad to hear it went well. I look forward to the article in the magazine. I am also curious about the "chess fair/mart", so any little comments or details here on this thread (or via email) would be like a little snack before dinner. John.
Message 17 of 24
latest reply

Of course, how could I forget to ask about Floyd and Bernice (a couple of key founding - and long time members of CCI - as well as curators of the Long Island Chess Museum). a.k.a. "Lichess" on eBay... How were/are they doing? John.
Message 18 of 24
latest reply

John, Floyd and Bernice are just fine, in fact I " Tied myself in knots " when trying to decide for diplomatic reasons, which T shirts to wear. Also having a talk all about Elephant with Tom Galligos, was interesting, as he has experience of Vermont weather and housing conditions. ;) A few others knew all about you, so you could say your " spirit " was flying about in the Cambridge air ". The market was competing with Yuri's chess simultanious chess challenge, and E bay prices, so one might say the rewards for enterprise were less forthcoming on this occasion. Yet the sellers smiled and the barganing banter was friendly. The cost of the event to myself was far lower than I imagined.
Message 19 of 24
latest reply

My miniature, ivory regence set (That I wrote about in the magazine) was in one of the display cabinets and I was asked several times if I wanted to sell it! My answer: No Way Jim
Message 20 of 24
latest reply

Jim will be reviewing the meeting for the chess collector,but I feel a personal view might be expressed on the talks themselves. To stand up in front of some very knowledgable collectors, and present research findings takes " guts ", so all speakers should be commended. However I feel a special mention on the talk of Jon Crumiller simply has to be noted. Not only did his presentation impress us all, but it was the stunning " gift " offered to the CCI membership afterwards that impressed me so much. Watch out for the next chess collector ....non members... my advice ... join the CCI };)
Message 21 of 24
latest reply

Guy, thanks for the update and your personal views! John.
Message 22 of 24
latest reply

Say, Alan Cpe1991... Are you back from China? Anything interesting in your travels, with respect to chess sets? More importantly, how are you? On a side but related note... today, I spent a couple of hours taking pictures of my sets in chess room #1. I came across a chess set that my daughter brought back from her few months stay (college experience, which eventually resulted in a "minor" in Mandarin with her Asian Studies degree) in Yunnan Province. She also spent some time in Beijing. Anyway, she gave it to me as a present. It was/is supposedly "jade" carved figures (somewhat crudely carved), but I doubt it that it is jade. It is a stone (one side is a very dark green, and the other side is a light green). While nearly any seller anywhere (from ANY country) could be tempted by exaggeration in an effort to sell a chess set (or anything else), the "Chinese Culture" seems to especially encourage what others might think of as deception. And not to "excuse" such use of words of extreme or uniqueness (such as "antique" or "rare" - when sets up for sale or bid are certainly not antique or rare - at least by our standards)... however, a generalization might be said that a large segment of the Chinese multi-cultural population seems to use exaggeration in their business dealings. Any thoughts? And of course, see any chess sets? John.
Message 23 of 24
latest reply

Hi John I am in Chengdu at present, 12 hours ahead of you. Nothing to report chesswise. It's a long trip here,with another 10 days to go. Alan
Message 24 of 24
latest reply