cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi,

Will anyone in this group sign up for Ebay's new holiday extended return?  If you are signing up or have signed up, what is your strategy for making up for the lose of top rated pecentage and fees.  I will lose top rated because I will not be signing up. I can't afford to wait 60 days until someone decides they don't want my item or send it back used and claim it was not as described. As a seller, this is going to hurt my business. Is anyone thinking of stop selling and wait until after the holidays to start back selling? Will you cut back on listing items? I just want to know what others are thinking and how they will go about this. All answers are welcome. Thank you.

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Sign up for extended hoilday returns or NOT!!!

I don't know where the alledged "180 day return policy being adopted by PayPal" came from but I did do some checking.

If you google "does eBay own PayPal" your search will get many hits. Most are related to the recent (Sept 30, 2014)

split of eBay and PayPal. This will take effect in mid 2015. None of these articles, though interesting, talk about how this

will affect eBay sellers. One article does talk about possible increased "fees" which sounds like something that no 

eBay seller wants to hear. As usual, the Sellers will probably be the last ones to know.

I believe the biggest joke is eBay's "Seller Protection".  I'd like to know how many sellers were ever "protected" by that one.

Message 16 of 40
latest reply

katz,

I have been searching and can't find anything about 180 days return policy. Did you find anything about it? Thank you.

Message 17 of 40
latest reply

Hey guds...

Keep searching...Call paypal..One of those reps will not let you know however, S/he will just not tell you when it wil be implemented..Supposed to be around Nov 6 (but they won't give ya an actual date)....

..Keep yer eyes on the boards, scroll around.....You'll find out...

I'm sure you will read about it, soon enough.

It really sux! Just figure around Nov 6 or so!

Message 18 of 40
latest reply

Paypal sent out an email a couple of months ago. It was title privacy rights. If you go to section 11.1 (i think) you will find the seller protection...it is 2 sentences long. Before you get that far you will read that starting Nov. 18, 2014 PayPal will be changing their return policy form 45 days until 180 days. If you accept any purchase through paypal from Nov. 18 and on then you have effectively agree'd to abide by these rules.
Message 19 of 40
latest reply

I received an email. The yearly privacy email...it was tucked in there with a date of November 18.
Message 20 of 40
latest reply

Will anyone in this group sign up for Ebay's new holiday extended return? 

I am signed up for now...I will NOT be signed up after November 1st.  My Strategy...one word. Amazon. They do not let paypal bully their sellers. Also, I have a stand alone website with 2 carts. One is paypal. It will be disabled before November 18th. 

I can't afford to wait 60 days until someone decides they don't want my item or send it back used and claim it was not as described.

It's not 60 days, it's 90 days. Any item a buyer purchases from November 1 through December 31 has until January 31 to return said item. No...I wont be doing that.

Is anyone thinking of stop selling and wait until after the holidays to start back selling? Will you cut back on listing items?

I am going to stop selling on ebay. I have already informed them not to automatically renew my store subscription. I have already cut back on listing items. My store is down from right at 350 items to 28. I doubt very seriously if I will go back to selling on ebay. 

Message 21 of 40
latest reply

I do not get many returns. And I honestly think buyers do not read anything. They barely look at a picture. I had one woman return a Brahmin because she thought it was white. 12 pictures of a blue purse, the color indicated as blue in the item specifics as well as the seller description, and she still thought it was white. I charge a 20% restocking fee if you return the item damaged...I may start charging it for sheer stupidity. One buyer asked me why her purse did not match the picture. When I finally got her to send a pic of what she was talking about it turned out she had looked at the first pic..the one of the front of the purse...then purchased. When she took it out of the packaging she was looking at the back of the purse. I just grit my teeth, and send them a happy message. My store will be empty by November 17th at the latest. Depends on what I find out from Amazon. My miniatures will be moved over to my stand alone website. It is picking up in sales. Only 3 orders a week, but that's pretty good when one order averages more than a week on eBay, especially since I do not have to pay the outrageous fees.
Message 22 of 40
latest reply

MROBIND42,

Thank you very much for sharing this information. I will check this out asap. Thank you again.Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 40
latest reply

You're welcome
Message 24 of 40
latest reply

Has anyone else received this email from ebay?

Good news for you: Your extended holiday returns will earn you abonus 5% final value fee discount!

Dear mrobind42:

I'm writing to thank you for acting quickly to add extended holiday returns to your listings. That's exactly the kind of commitment that will help make this holiday selling season your best ever.

I also want you to know that eBay will not require extended holiday returns for your listings to earn Top Rated Plus benefits in November and December as previously announced.

Instead, for all your eligible Top Rated Plus listings where you added extended holiday returns, you'll get a bonus 5% discount off final value fees—along with your current 20% discount—from November 1 through December 31.

This will give you more flexibility—and it will help ensure eBay has the best inventory for buyers this busy holiday season.

In addition to that direct financial reward for your quick adoption, know that we'll be highlighting extended holiday returns on your item pages and in search results starting in November.

So thank you again. Your actions will go a long way towards attracting buyers to eBay and boosting your own holiday sales.

Happy holiday selling!

Jordan Sweetnam
Vice President, Seller Experience

Message 25 of 40
latest reply

Hi mrobind42,

I didn't because I didn't sign up for extended holiday returns and any of my listings. I am searching for another alternative to paypal now. Also, I will be calling paypal today and ask a lot of questions.

Message 26 of 40
latest reply

Hi Robin,

It's a shame that all this nonsense is causing you to leave eBay. You are a very talented artist and will have no problem selling on Amazon and/or your own website. Unfortunately, most of us don't have that option. I wish you all the best and have a great holiday season both in selling and personally.

Don't worry - be happy!

Carol

Message 27 of 40
latest reply

Truthfully it is very scary to be out on your own. Thank you for your good wishes. My hope is to be able to sell on Amazon so I can leave eBay until my website starts turning a real profit.
Message 28 of 40
latest reply

I will be calling ebay to see if I can use the other payment method I have on my website. Most of my customers use it as opposed to paypal. If it's allowed and I am not required to offer extended Holiday Returns I may stay with ebay a little while longer, At least with the purses. It takes an act of congress to get Amazon to accept new sellers of designer items
Message 29 of 40
latest reply

Please let me know what they say because I am looking for another payment method as well. I don't like the fact that all my eggs are in one basket right now. This frightens me! lol

Message 30 of 40
latest reply