cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi,

Will anyone in this group sign up for Ebay's new holiday extended return?  If you are signing up or have signed up, what is your strategy for making up for the lose of top rated pecentage and fees.  I will lose top rated because I will not be signing up. I can't afford to wait 60 days until someone decides they don't want my item or send it back used and claim it was not as described. As a seller, this is going to hurt my business. Is anyone thinking of stop selling and wait until after the holidays to start back selling? Will you cut back on listing items? I just want to know what others are thinking and how they will go about this. All answers are welcome. Thank you.

Message 1 of 40
latest reply
39 REPLIES 39

Re: Sign up for extended hoilday returns or NOT!!!

I won't be selling until after te holiday

Message 2 of 40
latest reply

Since I sell from Canada, it has been my practice to take down all my listings from around November 18 to December 26, the dates when Canada Post does not guarantee delivery during the holidays.

This might be the best plan. Avoid the possibility of returns: don't list.

But.

How many requests for return do you get in a year? What are the real statistics? Are your buyers leaving five star DSRs? Are your buyers capable of reading? Are they buying on mobile devices?

My customers tend to be older (for stamps) and capable or reading and understanding instructions (books, dress patterns), so I don't often find problems arising.

But if I were selliing DVDs, club clothing, electronics or horse tack, I'd be running scared, just based on the demographics.

Message 3 of 40
latest reply

I am NOT doing Holiday returns! I am not Walmart, K-mart or Kohls! This is going to be very messy and setting up big time for after Xmas buyers remorse situations but of course they buyer wont say that it will be another excuse! I will pay the fees to alleviate all that stress. I think if you are going to accept them at elast make sure you have a 20% stocking fee on all your items. This may deter some from returning for nonsense. 

With our defect rates getting slammed for every return I am not about to lose my Top Rated for more than 3 months. And if you have an excess amount of returns you are facing the chance of losing your account forever. I worked too long and hard to get where I am today for a return policy to put me out. I will go to no returns starting Nov 1 through Dec 26. I will not close my account or limit my selling although thats not without saying eBay wont do it for me but it's Ok I will live through it. With my inventory I can sell and make money locally if I really need to but I know I wont 🙂

Message 4 of 40
latest reply

I meant to say a 20% re-stocking fee 😉
Message 5 of 40
latest reply

I have experienced a lot of scammers around this time of the year. I think the worst time to sell is during Nov and Dec. It seems like scammers start in mid Oct through mid Jan.  I've had buyers in other countries purchase something 3 weeks before Christmas and upset because they didn't get package before Christmas and US buyers purchase 5 days before and want package on Christmas. I tell them I do not guarantee delivery dates or times.   

How many requests for return do you get in a year?

For this year, I may have had 8 returns but the year is not over yet. lol

Are your buyers capable of reading?

Majority. There are a lot who don't take the time to read. They just see a picture and hit BIN. That really makes me upset because then they want to tell you that item is not as described when it clearly states it in the description. I have to point it out for them.

Are they buying on mobile devices?

About 30% of my buyers uses mobile devices.

Are your buyers leaving five star DSRs?

As for the DSR, I don't know where to check and see if they are leaving 5 stars. Where do you go to see how many stars they are leaving for feedback? Dashboard has become confusing to me.

Thank you for responding.

Message 6 of 40
latest reply

Nor do I work for Kmart, Walmart or Kohls. So I feel the same way. So if you get a return, it too, will count against you? I thought returns would count as long as you take care of it and there is no case opened? Am I missing something?

Message 7 of 40
latest reply

I have restock fee on all my listings. lolSmiley Wink

Message 8 of 40
latest reply

To see your Defects go to your dashboard click on your Defect Rating Bar and then your detailed ratings will pop up. In very very tiny blue lettering you will see Create report click that and you will see whats was counted against you and the date it was left. Hope this helps 🙂

Message 9 of 40
latest reply

Well thats what I thought until I called them and was getting 2 cases closed today and thought I would inquire about the returns and here is what she told me "Every return will count against you unless you call us and have us remove the defect for anything other than item not as described.

And dont get me started on scammers!!! I had one from Isreal recently and I ended up with 2 defects from her and she broke the extortion policy, she had buyers remorse and when she sent me back my NEW items they came back USED!!! And I got the double defect! She opened a case stating the items were not as described. I sent her items from a different line and in fact I know I didnt because her items were misiing from my inventory! So when the items came back they were what she ordered! She just scammed me is all! I got someones old stuff for my new stuff, she got her money back and I got defects in which eBay says are ok because they allow a 2% buffer for mistakes like this! I was hot to say the least! This wasnt a mistake it was a scam! I would have loved to save my 2% for a real mistake not waste it on a Scam..sighhhhh! Reason why I am hanging up my eBay hat once this inventory is gone! Been doing this since 2009 and I am done with the micro-managing!

Message 10 of 40
latest reply

I am thinking the same. I already accept a 14 day return and I am always on pins & needles thinking some scammer is ready to strike. lol lol I sell majotiry new items but I quickly learned that it doesn't matter. They will try anything. Now, we are approaching the holidays there will be a host of buyers trying to get what they can for free.

Message 11 of 40
latest reply

I am  to know you get your item/s back. I never get mine back. They always claim the didn't get it. So you know what means. They get their money back and get to enjoy my items and not to mention the ding on my DRS. Guess the gift was on me. lol I have had more chargebacks than anything else.

Message 12 of 40
latest reply

Hey all!

The Holiday Returns issue makes our sales called 'Free Ebay Rental Service. The Doors' Wide Open. Come On In'.

The HFRs makes our sales items, just the same!

Don't get me started on paypals' 180 day return policy coming in November.....Don't even!

These things just sadden me.....

Message 13 of 40
latest reply

Okay, so I really need to do my home work. lol So paypal will be offering 180 day return starting next month? Talking about a slap in the face. Are there other alternatives rather than paypal?

Message 14 of 40
latest reply

Hey guds.....I don't really know about the other alternatives.

Gosimus (I think it's gos who said so), said s/he uses propay. I haven't looked into it yet. I think I will just hang back, stay in the AC as I have been and take heed/ watch/ listen/ snicker.

I did call paypal today, yet again for the 10th time (in the past month just to keep asking) and as I asked about the 180 day carp, the little tiny, submissive, sheltered, shy intimidated paypal rep girl had no answers, no clue.

No paypal rep seems to know or explain whwhy a sellers' money is being held, why there's a 180 day return policy, how it works, what a buyer is required to offer as for why a case been filed..What happened with paypal???

Paypal reps used to always answer every question, knew what they were talking about, always helped within minutes and again, what happened to the paypal reps?

Paypal reps used to be great for help and always responded with helpful info.Yep! I wonder what's goin' on!

I guess paypal has hired ebays' reps...I dunno....

Message 15 of 40
latest reply