cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feel like a newbie:)

Hi All,

Been several years since I have sold on ebay...maybe an item here and there. I have bought a few things lately. BUT I want to start selling again (family nick nacks, etc) and feel like I am starting over..lol.

I used to list through Auctiva. Would like to just list through ebay or a free program?? What would be best for me to do especially since I am just a casual lister? IF i list through ebay can I SAVE the auction and edit and post it at a later date?

Also any new rules that I should know about?

Thanx and I plan to browse other posts and may find some answers as well.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Feel like a newbie:)

Several new rules, but the most important is that your customer's payments will be held for up to 21 days against your good performance. You still have to ship within seven days to retain your Seller Protection.

You can however print your Paypal shipping labels from the held payment.

You will notice that a lot of fees have gone down. Free Gallery for one, 50 Free Auctions per month is another. However there is now a fee on your shipping charges.

You can avoid the shipping FVF by offering Free Shipping domestically. Which really means you are putting the cost of shipping domestically into the asking price of the lot. This applies across the board, btw, 'free domestic shipping' means no shippng FVF even on international shipments.

And as a Canadian may I note that eBay does NOT recommend using their new Global Shipping Program for items under $50. Many sellers sign up for this accidentally. Don't.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you..very helpful. After some research I think just listing through ebay directly might be best..especially since I am not going to be listing a lot to start with? 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I have several active accounts and I use the SYI form here exclusively. Part of that is because as a Mac user, Turbo Lister is not available to me.

I've asked from time to time, but the only advantage TL has over the SYI form is that for those who want to start and end auctions at a particular time there is a free delay option.

But I use Fixed Price/Good Til Cancelled almost exclusively, so that is irrelevant. Also I sell internationally, so my selling period is 24/7/365.

I do have Stores on my accounts, because listing fees are a little cheaper and because I can put my Stores On Vacation easily, which is useful with my sometimes erratic travel schedule.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@unymush wrote:

Hi All,

Been several years since I have sold on ebay...maybe an item here and there. I have bought a few things lately. BUT I want to start selling again (family nick nacks, etc) and feel like I am starting over..lol.

I used to list through Auctiva. Would like to just list through ebay or a free program?? What would be best for me to do especially since I am just a casual lister? IF i list through ebay can I SAVE the auction and edit and post it at a later date?

Also any new rules that I should know about?

Thanx and I plan to browse other posts and may find some answers as well.

As @reallynicestamps says ebay has 50 free listing per month, if you go over that a store may be better, they offer a basic  store thats reasonable for 150 listings and many  benefits without a major commitment you can look at that here

http://pages.ebay.com/storefronts/start.html

Create new listings for those that dont sell, change the photos dont use "sell one like this" you will inherit the bad placement if there is one from that listing, new fresh listings sell much better, dont use 'good till cancelled' cassini will drop you in the search hierarchy if you dont sell anything from that listing and it rotates out. Nice high quality photos are your biggest ally in selling, e-commerce has become the dominate way to shop and its not going away.

For best placement in cassini:

Incorperate shipping into your selling price, give the 14 days return policy on every listing, make sure you offer 1 business day shipping,  you can add a 20% [or less if you choose] fee for returns. I suggest using the 20% and buyer pays return shipping.

opt into hassle free returns. I choose to offer international only to Canada at this time and we now have the option of first class international rates that can be printed right out at home no trips to the post office for that, its prints to a label and hand it to your postman, dont forget to sign it.

order your postal supplys free for priority, small flat rate boxes and flat rate padded envelopes are what I use most, a box will fit the flat rate envelop, it looks professional and clean.  it depends on what you're selling as to what you need. I just purchased small bubble wrap over 400 ft for 24.00 free shipping, also my envelops 100 # 0 for 21.00 there are a lot of sellers with great prices for supplys.

last but not least and my favorite, a best day to start and end auction calender: this is the best one I've seen and you can bet its accurate, I've been using it a long time and my salkes have gone up so much, schedule your lisings and automaticly get better sales from the beginning Woman Happy

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/pages/calendar

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Wow thanx for the info and the calendar Smiley Happy

And I have a MAC..was disappointed to see TL doesn't support..

Message 6 of 6
latest reply