cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stamp replica

I just received a temporary suspension for listing the following:

303143226821 - USA Revenue Sc. R37a 10c Power of Attorney 1862-71 canceled I.

eBay has declared that this is a stamp replica, which violates their terms.

There seems to be no way to challenge their decision.

This stamp is not a replica.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Stamp replica

Firstly it would be nice to see an image of the stamp to verify it is not a replica.

Secondly suspension of your account does not occur with the improper posting of one sale. The sale would simply be closed and you would be informed as to why it was closed without any suspension. There must be other factors that caused your temporary suspension such as multiple listings of replica stamps improperly listed and so forth. Repeated attempts to sell items with reported improper and/or fraudulent descriptions ect. that have been closed repeatedly and you continually tried to relist them without attempting to contact eBay and correct the problem.

We cannot see the above noted lot because it has been removed so would be nice to see it here.

I see your back up and running.
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Stamp replica

Hello and thanks. I am attaching a scan (hopefully). The stamp was listed earlier but didn't sell;

I re-listed it and it was removed with a suspension that has expired. If anyone thinks

this is a replica stamp, I would like to hear the reason. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Stamp replica

Hi,

I took a look at other R37a's on the web.

Please look at the linked image provided.

the R37a shown is very different from yours.

Note the zero's in the 10's. The curved pieces in the middle are quite distinct and very different from yours.

Note the period after INTER.  The R touches on the genuine. On yours it is far away from the R.

Many other differences. Considering the stamp is valued at over $1,000 it is advised to get it expertized if you think it is genuine.

My personal opinion is that it is a forgery, probably an R37 that is "altered" to look like an imperf.

I am not an expert on them though.

Because eBay policy does not have a specified rule for forgeries it is sometimes hard to understand what the expert that reported your sale was saying as all they have is rules for "replica" stamps. I think that is what is happening with your sale. I am sorry for your loss in this.

this site is pretty good to use as a general comparison site.

https://revenue-collector.com/usrevs.shtml

I hope I have helped you.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Stamp replica

Hello again and thanks for the helpful reply. This stamp may have been trimmed from a R37b or R37c,

but I believe the stamp is not a counterfeit design. I've compared it to about a dozen copies I have of R37c,

and there is a wide range of differences. On the "INTER dot" question, your scan shows a very fine tip

of the "R" touching the dot, while mine shows a space. In both cases, though, the dot is the very same

distance from the "R" itself. Nevertheless, I am hardly an authority on Civil War era US postage stamps.

Let me ask you this; if you were to list this stamp, how would you describe it, considering that you would

want to avoid being suspended by eBay? Thanks again, myckja. p.s. I (hopefully) have included a better scan.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Stamp replica

Yes indeed the design is not forged but because it is trimmed to look like R37a it is considered a forgery with intent to deceive. Because it is trimmed in such a way it is ruined as far as being able to sell as R37c which it is.
Only by marking it permanently "forgery" on the back and selling it as such with image showing it, is it "legal" to sell on eBay. R37c is only worth $1.00 so I would just take the hit and keep it as a forgery reference or.....throw it away so nobody else get fooled by it.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply