cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mickey Mantle Topps 487

hey there... i have a Mickey Mantle Topps 487 that i'm sure is original and i'd like to be able to qualify that when i list it, but i haven't been able find out how from searching the internet and ebay...

so... how does one qualitatively identify a reprint from an original?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Mickey Mantle Topps 487

I'm assuming you have a 1958 Topps All Star card.  That card has been widely counterfeited, as has most every other Mantle card.  The only way to be sure is to send in to be graded and authenticated.  Depending on the centering and overall condition this could be a wise decision.  There are three respected grading companies, PSA, BGS, SGC.  Centering is a premium on this card.  To dramatically increase the value you would want to get at least a PSA 8.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Mickey Mantle Topps 487

I'm assuming you have a 1958 Topps All Star card.  That card has been widely counterfeited, as has most every other Mantle card.  The only way to be sure is to send in to be graded and authenticated.  Depending on the centering and overall condition this could be a wise decision.  There are three respected grading companies, PSA, BGS, SGC.  Centering is a premium on this card.  To dramatically increase the value you would want to get at least a PSA 8.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Mickey Mantle Topps 487

yep, that's the one... while i'm by no means any kind of authority on cards or grading cards, i have been in the coin game for a day or two so i have a decent understanding of it...

this one would most likely be a 2 or a 3... no holes or creases, but the corners are well rounded, and there are a few places where the design has rubbed off/peeled/worn (don't know the correct term for it)... oh, and the centering blows...

so... yeah, this is not a card i want to spend any more money on, LOL... i got it from another online auction years ago... heck, the two piece lucite holder might be worth more than the card...

thanks!

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Mickey Mantle Topps 487

In that condition, I would go ahead and list it as an original.  It's a Mantle, so it will sell.  Don't know how much you have invested, but I would go auction, with a low starting price, and let it fly.  Good luck.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Mickey Mantle Topps 487

i don't remember what i paid, but it'll be a lot more than i'll get IF it sells... not the first time i'll lose money on something, won't be the last...

Message 5 of 5
latest reply