cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Box break shipping when no cards pulled

I did a box break for individual cards. I knew there was a chance I wouldn’t get any of those cards and I did not. Overall, I got a deal - $5 for two cards, $5 for shipping.

my question is, what is the rationale that I pay $5 for shipping when nothing is being shipped? I know some breakers send you something to make sure they fulfill the order - this breaker doesn’t have that policy.

Should I ask if I can carry the shipping over to a new break?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@buddyholly4 

According to eBay policy, if you don't win anything in a "box break", then the seller cannot fulfill the transaction and you are entitled to a full refund, of your entire payment including purchase price and shipping. If you receive something else, other than the item you bid on and purchased in the box break, then you can file an Item Not as Described dispute to get your refund.

I am aware that this may  not be the "standard procedure" in box breaks, but they are very iffy under eBay policy policy governing chance listings and raffles. eBay policy is intended to make sure that these listings are legal and don't violate the law.

If you didn't win any cards in a box break, then the seller needs to return your money in full. Otherwise, it's a raffle, and is illegal because it's against the law. That's why eBay policy doesn't allow chance listings or raffles.

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/chance-listings-policy?id=4311

FYI, if you receive a "small gift" instead of cards, when you bid on and won cards, then you have a valid case for a Not as Described dispute.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the detailed response. The seller says very clearly that your card may not be pulled. That said, this grab bag or box break policy as stated is still sort of vague as to my situation. 

i decided to just write the guy and ask for the shipping money refund. I get what you are saying but I’m trying to find some middle ground here. Not losing big money, I’m not looking for a big fight on this.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@buddyholly4 wrote:

Thanks for the detailed response. The seller says very clearly that your card may not be pulled. ...

In that case, he is violating eBay policy.

Personally, I would not want to do business with someone who would do that. It's dishonest and unethical.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

This kind of box breaker is going to ruin it for everyone in the long run, I’m afraid. I won’t be giving any more money.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@buddyholly4 wrote:

This kind of box breaker is going to ruin it for everyone in the long run, I’m afraid. I won’t be giving any more money.

@buddyholly4;

Please, take this scammer down before you go. He's not doing any eBay sellers any favors, conducting business like this.

It's a disgrace. Dishonest, and a disgusting scam, to take advantage of buyers like this.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply