cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

paypal return fees sept 2019 update IN PLAIN ENGLISH?

got the automated email I usually don't pay too much attention to these things usually it's USPS raises their rates quite a bit ever year but what you gonna do?

anyway I'm confused about this new 'paypal will no longer refund fees to sellers"

so if I sell something for $100, paypal takes the 30 cents per transaction and %2.9 of the $100 which is $2.90 and $0.30.

But now, if the buyer returns something even for buyers remorse and there was nothing wrong with the item, the buyer doesn't get the full $100 back? Paypal keeps the %2.9 $2.90?

what if you cancel the transaction in ebay after a partial refund or something, doesn't that fully refund everything?

Message 1 of 45
latest reply
44 REPLIES 44

Re: paypal return fees sept 2019 update IN PLAIN ENGLISH?

Your cost of doing business will increase, you still provide your buyer with a full refund.

Message 2 of 45
latest reply

@yeshy_us wrote:

so if I sell something for $100, paypal takes the 30 cents per transaction and %2.9 of the $100 which is $2.90 and $0.30.

But now, if the buyer returns something even for buyers remorse and there was nothing wrong with the item, the buyer doesn't get the full $100 back? Paypal keeps the %2.9 $2.90?

Buyer still gets a full refund, you just don't get the Pay Pal fee's back.

Have a great day
Message 3 of 45
latest reply

Is this true for Managed Payments?  You get your fees back from eBay?

Is it time to sign up for Managed Payments?

Message 4 of 45
latest reply

Care to share with us the email.

That was announced around April was is not? I've received no new emails on the subject. Is someone trying to phish your eBay and/or PayPal account by recycling old news?

PayPal decided to halt the deployment of this policy after it was previously announced.

PayPal gave no information if this was a permanent halt or the if policy is in limbo. I think this was intentional so they can deploy it at any time.

The original announcement is on PayPal's site; however, when I called PayPal they actually denied it existed.

Both PayPal and eBay customer service have played "stupid" on the matter thus we must assume it could be restarted at any time since both companies can't be trusted at all.

I've added a 15% fee to my TOS to cover both the PayPal and eBay fees should PayPal restart this policy. Due to the way both companies handle refunds you may be out both the eBay and PayPal fees. I am not paying for fees due to buyer wrongdoing -  the buyer is!

This is going to make eBay the target of online trolls and hackers. Instead of trolling on various forums where their messages can be ignored they can come instead come to eBay and cause sellers millions in damages for fun. Gee, do you think anyone (or a company) might program a few bots to create false purchases just so sellers are penalized financially? Could this be used by sellers to destroy their competitors?

Both eBay and PayPal should be held liable for any such damages since anyone with even a tiny amount of common sense knows this opens open sellers to financial damages.

Message 5 of 45
latest reply

You will not get your Paypal fees back if you refund a buyer.    It is going into effect on October 1st.  This hurts the seller who offers free shipping and free returns and then still has to pay fees for the item after it has been refunded. 

It makes free returns quite painful, IMO.  Buyers who "just don't like the item" pay no penalty at all for buying the item, on approval so to speak, and returning it while the seller pays two shipping fees and the Paypal fees for the whole purchase.  I guess if you figure it into your price it would work out but I question how much you would sell if your items are in a competitive market. 

Message 6 of 45
latest reply

@ce-9809 wrote:

Care to share with us the email.

That was announced around April was is not? I've received no new emails on the subject. Is someone trying to phish your eBay and/or PayPal account by recycling old news?

PayPal decided to halt the deployment of this policy after it was previously announced.

PayPal gave no information if this was a permanent halt or the if policy is in limbo. I think this was intentional so they can deploy it at any time.

The original announcement is on PayPal's site; however, when I called PayPal they actually denied it existed.

Both PayPal and eBay customer service have played "stupid" on the matter thus we must assume it could be restarted at any time since both companies can't be trusted at all.

Did you receive the email yet?  Plenty have posted on the selling board about this.  I received mine yesterday, so I can post it if you haven't seen it yet.

@ce-9809 

Message 7 of 45
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:

I'm not sure how its would work with Managed Payments.

If the Pay Pal payments go into Ebays account, looks like Ebay would be loosing the money.

Have a great day
Message 8 of 45
latest reply

@kensgiftshop wrote:

@no_zero369 wrote:

I'm not sure how its would work with Managed Payments.

If the Pay Pal payments go into Ebays account, looks like Ebay would be loosing the money.

I'm pretty sure that eBay will not take a loss - they just won't refund the seller those fees. In other words, they will give the seller exactly what PayPal gives them.

Message 9 of 45
latest reply

Found the message in my "promotions" section of Gmail.

came in at 5:14 PM

Earlier this year, we notified you that we were updating our User Agreement to change our refund policy. We want to let you know that the policy change is going into effect beginning on October 11, 2019.

Message 10 of 45
latest reply

@no_zero369 wrote:

laughing 1.jpg            HEEE HEE HAAAAAA HEEEE!HEEE HEE HAAAAAA HEEEE!                laughing 2.jpg

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 45
latest reply

So in other words, if for example that $100 item, paypal refunds the buyer the complete $100, and the $2.90 (%2.9 Paypal fee plus 30 cents) I have to pay out of pocket? What if I have $0 in paypal?

I guess yea it's not that bad looking at it now, I don't sell things often over about $100 so a rare $3 loss is no big deal.

But it seems gross if what someone has to pay out of pocket for (if true) the amount all depends on the price of the item, as if it's any easier for their system to process a refund for $1 vs $1,000.

Message 12 of 45
latest reply

I think this dude makes it perfectly clear:

Message 13 of 45
latest reply

"I think this dude makes it perfectly clear:"

Louis Rossman taking food out of the mouth of starving PayPal executives again.

Doesn't he realize how much a package of organic guacamole costs these days?

Message 14 of 45
latest reply

No email received.

However, we had a buyer use PayPal for a purchase even though the buyer was not allowed to use PayPal due to our TOS - i.e., payment on pickup only. eBay customer service actually tried to tell me cash was not allowed for pickups. eBay does not even make the effort these days to create good lies.

So we go to our PayPal account to investigate a refund and PayPal says we do not have enough funds to cover the refund, thus it was obvious PayPal was going to keep their fees.

So instead we went to eBay and cancelled the entire transaction for a violation of our TOS by the buyer. No PayPal fees were kept.

PayPal is trying to claim that they are keeping their fees as their service was used yet both a refund and a cancellation of the transaction use their services.

SCAM!

eBay & PayPal can thus enjoy several more complaints with the FTC.

We've decided to pull our items form eBay and sell on Facebook and consignment stores. Despite only having items listed in 4-5 local groups our item counts are way better than eBay. Our previous record of a buyer traveling 76 miles one way to pickup items on Facebook is about to be broke as a person traveling through the state on vacation will be picking up items next Monday. We listed the same items on eBay with local pickup with only one sale and that was only because the buyer in another state knew someone who lived in a nearby town.

I also think its time to revive our own website. I experimented with a website in the early 2000s to sell items within a particular hobby and sold my entire collection. Much easier now and Facebook can be used a promotional tool for the website. Also much easier to accept payments (Zelle) and print shipping labels (Pirateship).

If Facebook would hire someone who actually knew anything about online selling eBay's days would be quickly numbered. But then eBay has been steadily declining for 15 years.

Consignment stores only charge 25-30% and store the items until time of display, display the items, complete the sale and provide financial statements of the sales. In most cases these items obtain higher prices than eBay or could not even be sold on eBay due to the cost of shipping and fees.

eBay needs to bring back the clueless Meg Whitman!

Smiley LOL

So how did that stint at HP go for her?

Message 15 of 45
latest reply