cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lost top rated discounts because to slow shipping??

I can't believe it. I have been a Top Rated seller for years now. As soon as an item sells, I print the label that night or 1st thing the next morning. I run to the Post Office at lease 4 days a week. I looked at the list of 'slow' shipping items and the ones I can see due to the 90 day rule, look like they are within the time frame. Not slow.

Sales are down and I am thinking Ebay is 'cooking the books' to save the 10% discount for themselves.

Message 1 of 29
latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

Re: lost top rated discounts because to slow shipping??

Yet that poloicy is not adhered to in several incidents.

I follow my shipping closely.  I use the Leave feedback page to see ebay's opinion for expected delivery & actual delivery. Many many screens shots fill my hard drive lol

Example of that policy not applied as it reads:

I had an item sell on a wednesday, with expected delivery the next wednesday.

This was including 1 day handling, there happened to be a holiday on the friday after the item sold, and 3 days travel. I am in MO, buyer in southernmost FL.

This was in a horrific timespan where incompetent mail carrier on my route was erratic performing acceptance scans of scheduled pickup items. And... this was one of times items I had scheduled to be picked up thursday went into the USPS system without getting scanned. Gah! All but item mentioned did get a scan at Distribution Hub across town in wee hours of the night. This item was unseen in Tracking. It eventually got a scan in FLORIDA at 11:30 pm on SUNDAY(!), with Delivery scan of 10 am monday morning.

It would be reasonable that ebay allow for uncontrollable weaknesses in the USPS process, and find that although 1st Tracking scan was 4 non-business days later, AND they could view I had messaged buyer friday am expressing my concern, w reassurance it was on its way, even if no visible sign in Tracking History yet, that this item not be considered late.

Especially since it was 2 days early of ebays stated Expected Delivery.

The Support rep  clearly had never been to the United States, as rep would have rudimentary familiarity with our Mail, Holidays, and the Geography of the US. I couldn't relate to him it was inconceivable for that item Scan be true timestamp for entry into mail system being 5 states away, on a day no package is officially received by handlers, without having paid insane fees for Special Pickup or my driving a marathon road trip just to get item close to buyer. And delivered next morning, in that far away zip code.

I could not have the item removed from being counted as Late Delivery.

Other lesser complex incidents I foolishly considered worthy of contacting ebay to exclude from poor data crunching methods were ones with similar Scanning failures by Carriers/Handlers, yet buyer feedback included specific comments about being very happy with delivery being days earlier than expected. These extremely atypical incidents were reason enough for me to decide Top Rated Seller and its nominal perk of 10% discount on FV fees were not worth the hours of futile debate on phone to Support.

It seems reasonable that they fine tune these standards for TRS.

Use specific language &criteria.

Eliminate criteria that is not applied to tallies on Dashboard (buyer says item delivered in time).

Improve methods to measure & evaluate a sellers history. Less overlap in the indicators used for how seller is on excellent service. The Late Shipment report includes references to date delivery. Stick to what the standard aims to represent. Shipping and Handling time gets measured through a carriers Tracking. If Actual delivery date data is involved, it should be as educational  demonstration of what can happen when items don't get shipped as a seller has stated in the listing. Show Seller on report, for any item that fell outside of the 1 day Handing time frame to have it scanned as it enters carriers system the results of that shortcoming.

Provide details that make it clear what eventual delivery date was for the items that were classified as Late shipments.

3 columns.

1.) Tracking Shows Late Shipment time

2.)  Delivery Date was after stated Expected delivery Date

3.) Delivery Date still within limits 

Also, throw in randomized transactions that were scanned within Handling window, and the resulting outcome for Date of Delivery.

If a seller could see the impact in a comparative format, it would mean a great deal.

Until USPS creates a process that lets my items receive an Entry scan as I physically place through the post office package drop box, these data should be entitled to review and possible eliminate from being called Late.

If I can do self- checkout at a retail store, or do self checkout at a Public Library, the USPS is due to get onboard with Mailers having ability to scan  packages into the system. It would be win-win for sure!

Message 16 of 29
latest reply

self scan!! I love that idea!
Message 17 of 29
latest reply

@easterbasset wrote:

Yet that poloicy is not adhered to in several incidents.

I follow my shipping closely.  I use the Leave feedback page to see ebay's opinion for expected delivery & actual delivery. Many many screens shots fill my hard drive lol

Example of that policy not applied as it reads:

I had an item sell on a wednesday, with expected delivery the next wednesday.

This was including 1 day handling, there happened to be a holiday on the friday after the item sold, and 3 days travel. I am in MO, buyer in southernmost FL.

This was in a horrific timespan where incompetent mail carrier on my route was erratic performing acceptance scans of scheduled pickup items. And... this was one of times items I had scheduled to be picked up thursday went into the USPS system without getting scanned. Gah! All but item mentioned did get a scan at Distribution Hub across town in wee hours of the night. This item was unseen in Tracking. It eventually got a scan in FLORIDA at 11:30 pm on SUNDAY(!), with Delivery scan of 10 am monday morning.

It would be reasonable that ebay allow for uncontrollable weaknesses in the USPS process, and find that although 1st Tracking scan was 4 non-business days later, AND they could view I had messaged buyer friday am expressing my concern, w reassurance it was on its way, even if no visible sign in Tracking History yet, that this item not be considered late.

Especially since it was 2 days early of ebays stated Expected Delivery.

The Support rep  clearly had never been to the United States, as rep would have rudimentary familiarity with our Mail, Holidays, and the Geography of the US. I couldn't relate to him it was inconceivable for that item Scan be true timestamp for entry into mail system being 5 states away, on a day no package is officially received by handlers, without having paid insane fees for Special Pickup or my driving a marathon road trip just to get item close to buyer. And delivered next morning, in that far away zip code.

I could not have the item removed from being counted as Late Delivery.

Other lesser complex incidents I foolishly considered worthy of contacting ebay to exclude from poor data crunching methods were ones with similar Scanning failures by Carriers/Handlers, yet buyer feedback included specific comments about being very happy with delivery being days earlier than expected. These extremely atypical incidents were reason enough for me to decide Top Rated Seller and its nominal perk of 10% discount on FV fees were not worth the hours of futile debate on phone to Support.

It seems reasonable that they fine tune these standards for TRS.

Use specific language &criteria.

Eliminate criteria that is not applied to tallies on Dashboard (buyer says item delivered in time).

Improve methods to measure & evaluate a sellers history. Less overlap in the indicators used for how seller is on excellent service. The Late Shipment report includes references to date delivery. Stick to what the standard aims to represent. Shipping and Handling time gets measured through a carriers Tracking. If Actual delivery date data is involved, it should be as educational  demonstration of what can happen when items don't get shipped as a seller has stated in the listing. Show Seller on report, for any item that fell outside of the 1 day Handing time frame to have it scanned as it enters carriers system the results of that shortcoming.

Provide details that make it clear what eventual delivery date was for the items that were classified as Late shipments.

3 columns.

1.) Tracking Shows Late Shipment time

2.)  Delivery Date was after stated Expected delivery Date

3.) Delivery Date still within limits 

Also, throw in randomized transactions that were scanned within Handling window, and the resulting outcome for Date of Delivery.

If a seller could see the impact in a comparative format, it would mean a great deal.

Until USPS creates a process that lets my items receive an Entry scan as I physically place through the post office package drop box, these data should be entitled to review and possible eliminate from being called Late.

If I can do self- checkout at a retail store, or do self checkout at a Public Library, the USPS is due to get onboard with Mailers having ability to scan  packages into the system. It would be win-win for sure!

Let me keep this short.....

If your item has tracking uploaded on time and it is delivered on time there is no defect. If you get one it will be removed.

Message 18 of 29
latest reply

@warbuyer99 wrote:

@disneyshopper wrote:

If a seller does NOT get an acceptance scan within his/her handling time (let's say within 1-day), but gets an acceptance scan on day 2 or 3, then shipping =IS= late, and ebay records a defect for slow shipping.

You are half right. If the item is delivered on time there isn't a defect. As long as the tracking is uploaded on time the item either has to ship/be scammed on time or be delivered on time.

disneyshopper is not  half right.  A seller that commits to a specific  handling time must put the package in the hands of the  carrier within that specified handling time and prove it was via tracking status.  If the  scan clearly shows it was  later than the sellers commitment they  get a ding even though the package may have been delivered within the  ESTIMATED delivery time.  Handling times are not ESTIMATES.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 19 of 29
latest reply

I lost my status earlier this year as well. I am unable go to the Post office, so I schedule a pick up from my USPS carrier daily. I left 8 packages on my porch and when I got home that night, they were still there. I called EBAY customer service to explain it wasn't my fault and they said too bad. I have zero control whether a mail carrier picks up and scans my parcels.
I did my part.......... THIS POLICY STINKS.
Message 20 of 29
latest reply

@johnrj1226 wrote:

@warbuyer99 wrote:

@disneyshopper wrote:

If a seller does NOT get an acceptance scan within his/her handling time (let's say within 1-day), but gets an acceptance scan on day 2 or 3, then shipping =IS= late, and ebay records a defect for slow shipping.

You are half right. If the item is delivered on time there isn't a defect. As long as the tracking is uploaded on time the item either has to ship/be scammed on time or be delivered on time.

disneyshopper is not  half right.  A seller that commits to a specific  handling time must put the package in the hands of the  carrier within that specified handling time and prove it was via tracking status.  If the  scan clearly shows it was  later than the sellers commitment they  get a ding even though the package may have been delivered within the  ESTIMATED delivery time.  Handling times are not ESTIMATES.

This is not correct. Delivered on time over rides a late acceptance scan. It will not over ride late tracking uploads.

Lets say you miss shipping one item. You have until midnight to upload the tracking for that item. To make sure the item there on time you over night it. The item arrives before or on the day it was supposed to be delivered. There is no ding for late shipping.

You have to have an on time acceptance scan or an on time delivery scan. Either one over rides the other. Ebay CS will remove dings for late shipping if the item was still delivered on time.

Message 21 of 29
latest reply

Johnrj1226, everyone, including you, seems to be half right sometimes.

I have put packages in the hands of carrier, face to face, a direct handoff, and say to carrier, how I rely on his scan at pickup.

Yet, no scan in Tracking till late that night, at post office.

Another incident, same scene, I am at the mailbox and see him pick up packages.

I remind about scan. He scans the paper he has for the Scheduled Pickup, and would not see that the pickup had no actual package Tracking associated.

I had several conversations with him on topic. Sometimes he alluded to preferring to do scans at his truck because the  'the tyvek mailers were slippery' which made them difficult to handle scanning at actual time pickup. That helped me see why, when my items did get scan, the time stamp in Tracking was bit later, my guess - probably about when he stopped for a lunch break. Acceptance scans even occured hours later, 6 or 6:30 pm. My take on those were that he did scan when he got back to post office after his route. 

I finally have new carrier on my route, but these subpar USPS employees exist.

I am coaching the new carrier proactively. He is not 100% with procedure, but I hope he will be flawless before too long.

Message 22 of 29
latest reply

Help him or her out and use a SCAN form.

Message 23 of 29
latest reply

@warbuyer99 wrote:

@disneyshopper wrote:

@orangehound wrote:

eBay doesn't give defects for slow shipping ... they give defects if your items do not get the initial postal scan within your stated handling time.  

I disagree.  I just lost my TRS (not Plus) due to 2 packages that were shipped late, and 1 package that did not have an acceptance scan.

If your shipment has an acceptance scan within your handling time the item can take 3 years to get delivered. It's not going to count against you on ebay and any feedback mentioning slow delivery will be removed.

in this case, yes it will be removed from statistics, but not from metrics

Message 24 of 29
latest reply

The postal carriers do not want to pick up your packages.  It's that simple and very unfortunate.  Even if you select a pick up from your house or place an item in the mailbox with your Red Flag for outgoing mail, it's pretty much 50-50 if they're just going to drive by or actually pick it up.  If someone purchases prior to me shipping daily at 10:30 am, I ship the same day.  Otherwise, it's the usual one day handling.

Yesterday my carrier just drove right by purposefully looking the other way even though I had the red flag up and they deliver right to the box without having to get out of their vehicle.  He actually has to take a little driveway area that connects with my neighbor.  I can hear the truck and actually watched him do this.   I had to take it to the post office where there was a long line of people waiting.  This was done on my way to the doctor since I've busted my knee and am hobbling round.

Try to always use "Request Carrier Pick-Up" when you purchase postage through the ebay system.  Also, call ebay customer service and see if they will help you.  I find they really do want to help if they can.

Message 25 of 29
latest reply

@boudoirandbaubles 

Guess I  have been darn lucky since I started shipping eBay stuff on January, 2010 -total of  1541  eBay packages to date plus lots of personal  stuff too, 3  different carriers & they all picked up at least 80% of the items I've shipped from   my  garage door area.

I take/took time to get to know them, treat them with respect (I wouldn't want their  job) give them an occasional " just because" rewards like a  handful of chocolate covered pecans or a couple of my homemade oat meal  cookies loaded with  raisin and walnuts ( recipe in the lid of a Quaker Oats oatmeal box-  been there  since my late Mother was a  child, born in 1919. - they  scan my item at  pick up w/o fail - even the subs. 

"You catch  more flies with honey than with vinegar." his old proverb holds very  today - even in almost 2020.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
Message 26 of 29
latest reply

This doesn't help the second part of tracking uploaded on time. What cause the loss of TRS status and the lower than 97% is the "Validated by Carrier" STUPIDITY!!

For example, Item is paid for at 8 am Tuesday while I am at work, I ship and upload tracking at 8 pm same day, 12 hours later. Then I drop off item at drop box next business day (Wednesday) by because USPS is not open while on my way to work. The item does not get scanned until after 8 am.

And i have now lost my TRS status due to this stupidity. Not 90 grace period either, instantly.

I understand items need to be shipped within 24 hours of cleared payment! GREAT! EASY! but "Validated by carrier" also within 24 hours of "Payment recieved" IS 100% **bleep**. This should be changed to 24 hours or at least 12 after item is shipped and tracking is uploaded.

Every feedback I get is practically "Super fast shipping!". but 60% of buyers do not leave feedback so there "feedback" does not help correct the "validated by carrier" issue.

Every item is shipped "Next business day" as required for TRS Status. every item arrives on time within the Estimated eBay shipping time, Yet I lose my TRS due to something I have no control over "VALIDATED BY CARRIER". It is not my fault the USPS hours are shorter than my work day and the Buyer purchased the item so early the day before.

Thanks eBay for one more reason to become a "China drop shipper!" as 90% of your listings are!

Message 27 of 29
latest reply

@legostuffnsuch wrote:

This doesn't help the second part of tracking uploaded on time. What cause the loss of TRS status and the lower than 97% is the "Validated by Carrier" STUPIDITY!!

For example, Item is paid for at 8 am Tuesday while I am at work, I ship and upload tracking at 8 pm same day, 12 hours later. Then I drop off item at drop box next business day (Wednesday) by because USPS is not open while on my way to work. The item does not get scanned until after 8 am.

And i have now lost my TRS status due to this stupidity. Not 90 grace period either, instantly.

I understand items need to be shipped within 24 hours of cleared payment! GREAT! EASY! but "Validated by carrier" also within 24 hours of "Payment recieved" IS 100% **bleep**. This should be changed to 24 hours or at least 12 after item is shipped and tracking is uploaded.

Every feedback I get is practically "Super fast shipping!". but 60% of buyers do not leave feedback so there "feedback" does not help correct the "validated by carrier" issue.

Every item is shipped "Next business day" as required for TRS Status. every item arrives on time within the Estimated eBay shipping time, Yet I lose my TRS due to something I have no control over "VALIDATED BY CARRIER". It is not my fault the USPS hours are shorter than my work day and the Buyer purchased the item so early the day before.

Thanks eBay for one more reason to become a "China drop shipper!" as 90% of your listings are!

It doesn't quite work that way.  You do have to upload your tracking within your handling time to meet TRS standards but it doesn't have to be validated within 24 hours or any  specific amount of time.  It can be validated at any point in the delivery.  Even if the package was only scanned once and that was when it was delivered, your uploaded/validated percentage shouldn't be affected.  That metric has to be at least 95% to be met, not 97%.

But it does sound as if your packages are not being scanned within your handling time so would cause a problem with the shipping on time metric IF the package was also scanned as delivered AFTER ebays estimated delivery date.

Message 28 of 29
latest reply

@ibuysellstuff wrote:
I lost my status earlier this year as well. I am unable go to the Post office, so I schedule a pick up from my USPS carrier daily. I left 8 packages on my porch and when I got home that night, they were still there. I called EBAY customer service to explain it wasn't my fault and they said too bad. I have zero control whether a mail carrier picks up and scans my parcels.
I did my part.......... THIS POLICY STINKS.

Sorry you did not do your  part.  It is your full  responsibility as an eBay seller  to get the package in the hands  of the  carrier  (take it to the PO or personally hand  them to you carrier and  have them  scanned in) within in your  handling time.

Simply  stating you scheduled a  pick up & it didn't happen is not  100% solid  proof this  happened.   Never rely on another  party to  do you  job.

Message 29 of 29
latest reply