cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay email "Your listings with calculated shipping will default to eBay Labels discounted rates"

Got this notice from ebay today that buyers will be offered the discounted rates at the same (? assumed but not specified by ebay) that we usually buy labels at, unless you opt out by 5.15.

Question: A hypothetical case - at present, buyer pays $5 for postage but discounted postage is $3. Ebay takes their cut on the $5 and I pay $3 so I am still in the black. However, if the buyer is offered the $3 discounted rate AND ebay still takes their cut, I will be in the red if I purchase the label for $3.

Do I have this correct?

Message 1 of 120
latest reply
119 REPLIES 119

Re: ebay email "Your listings with calculated shipping will default to eBay Labels discounted r

Yes, you are correct.  Sellers are getting screwed with this change.  The dollar or two that sellers make on the shipping will usually cover the Ebay fees on the shipping.  Ebay is eliminating that, so sellers will actually lose money on shipping because Ebay will take a fee on the entire amount.  It stinks for sellers.  Come on, Ebay - make this more fair by eliminating the fees on the purchased postage!

Message 46 of 120
latest reply

Re: ebay email "Your listings with calculated shipping will default to eBay Labels discounted r

I am sorry, but how did you determine that sellers are getting screwed?

1. You can opt-out of any changes to your current setup.

2. There is a handy little box there called "Handling Charges"

use it!

Message 47 of 120
latest reply

I never got that email, got one for automatically managing my excluded countries EIS sales. 80% of my sales are fixed price but the other 20% is larger calculated shipping. Guess I"m going to get blind sided on those since I haven't received an option to opt out?

Message 48 of 120
latest reply

I haven't received the notice yet either.  I'm guessing it isn't worded or explained very well, because the boards are blowing up with threads of confusion.

Message 49 of 120
latest reply

@fern*wood 

@tsme35 

I haven't received that email yet, either -- and my fingers are just itchin' to opt out.

If I wish to offer ANY of my buyers discounts, I can make that decision on my own -- I've been an adult for nearly 60 years now, and I prefer to make my own decisions regarding my money.

Message 50 of 120
latest reply

I received this email today and it specifies it will only affect those who receive the email. It is not an across-the-board change. Yet!

Quote: "Please note that this change will only apply to sellers receiving this email."

Message 51 of 120
latest reply

That seems weird to me too.  If they want everyone to do this, why only send to some sellers.  Of course maybe they eliminated me already since I turned them down in December when they called to get me to do this.  My paranoia will have me checking my preferences often now to make sure it isn't switched.

Message 52 of 120
latest reply

I clicked on a thread that only had a couple replies and was lead to this thread, just looked and there's a bunch popping up.

It would end my calculated shipping, most are fishing rods and tackle boxes going UPS and shipping runs $15 to $30. So I would have to eat $2-4 box, 13% ebay fee on shipping and taxes paid for shipping(in some states) and the 13% ebay charges us to collect taxes. Sure I could add some handling fee but I can't know how much until I know where the item is going and shipping will go up to the same anyway.

HERE'S a thought, ebay, meet us half way and drop the FVF on shipping, drop your tax collecting fee to a more reasonable 3-4%. Ask us to make sacrifices about about you?

Message 53 of 120
latest reply

Ebay will probably be sending us free printers, printer  paper, boxes, and bubble-wrap. Eventually Ebay will opt all sellers into "Free Shipping"

I hope when Ebay sends us free printers and label maker that they are top of the line products.

Ebay loves it sellers and will do anything to help them suckceed on its platform. 

Message 54 of 120
latest reply

I agree.  I'm probably going to do the same.  

Message 55 of 120
latest reply

AMEN to this.  Thank you for putting it that way.  I was on the fence about it before you spelled it out so well.  Thanks!

Message 56 of 120
latest reply

This message from ebay really has me upset. Yes I can and will opt out. My thoughts are this, don't we earn that discount by our selling above average reviews, won't our sells go down if our competitors give cheaper shipping for same items. Why is it ok for eBay and everyone else [ ie our suppliers], the postal system charge higher prices "because of the economy " but Not us sellers, we're suppose to just eat the loss. I hope most sellers will opt out. It is a big deal, I'm here to make money, and I can tell you all the fees and costs do not make it easy. As I said above if other sellers buy into this idea it will have an effect on the sellers who opt out. Buyers will choose the lower cost shipping. 

Message 57 of 120
latest reply

Shipping is getting outrageous.  What eBay is doing is shifting the label discount to the buyer in order to make the site more attractive.  I would think they feel that increasing sales on items would make up for the difference.

That would be fine if they didn't charge us a % for the shipping fee along with the % for the selling cost.

I have gotten caught a few times and had to eat it.  But I do notice that shipping is getting totally out of hand.  Many times, as a buyer, I have passed on something I would have like to have purchased because of the shipping costs.

FWIW, I use to refund shipping charges when it was wrong.  I would e-mail buyer and tell them I was refunding part of the shipping cost they paid.  Not once did a buyer ever thank me or even acknowledge it.

I will just wait and see what happens.

Message 58 of 120
latest reply

This is a horrible idea.  I will be opting out.  It's bad enough that the USPS raises rates at least twice a year and now eBay says "We’re making this change to help your listings attract more buyers by offering a lower shipping cost ".  At the expense of the seller!

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 59 of 120
latest reply

I should have been more specific..... If sellers don't opt out, they are getting screwed!  Is that better?

Message 60 of 120
latest reply