cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eBay not recognizing "Delivered to Agent for Final Delivery" as delivered.

In many places such as apartment buildings with concierge/doorman, townhouse complexes with a management office, freight forwarders, buildings with mailrooms, etc USPS will deliver to the building's mail "agent" and this has always registered a "delivered" status on the eBay orders page.

That is it used to until about 2-1/2 months ago. Now those orders are stuck as "shipped" as the system is not recognizing that packages were delivered. When you click the tracking pop-up it's stuck at "it's on its way to the buyer" and "was scheduled" for delivery on X date.

I've reported the issue multiple times, but I'm wondering if others here are seeing the same problem?

Hey devon@ebay - can you get the shipping and/or seller hub teams working on this? If you need order numbers or screenshots to reference I can send an e-mail.

Message 1 of 268
latest reply
267 REPLIES 267

Re: eBay not recognizing "Delivered to Agent for Final Delivery" as delivered.

Hi Devon. 

I know this is an old thread but when will this be fixed? This thread goes back to January and now o have the same issue from this week, March…

ThursdayFeb 23

Last Location: Redondo beach, CA

Accepted
Tue, Feb 21

In transit

Out for delivery

Estimated delivery
Thu, Feb 23

USPS: 9400108205497664207794
Hide tracking details

1. Feb 22, 2023
    4:34pm
    Delivered to Agent for Final Delivery

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 196 of 268
latest reply

Screen Shot 2023-03-04 at 12.31.12 PM.png

devon@ebay 

the above ss shows that ebay did not change the 'DELIVERED TO AGENT FOR FINAL DELIVERY' to 'delivered' for actual tracking status, it still shows as 'shipped Feb 14'

Message 197 of 268
latest reply

devon@ebay 

Screen Shot 2023-03-05 at 4.22.58 PM.png

no further tracking on the ESUS int'l tracking number

Message 198 of 268
latest reply

Same here with the same place in Sarasosa Fl. It was just delivered today

Message 199 of 268
latest reply

I am having this issue. I believe the buyer had order shipped to a business, and possibly someone else there accepted the package for them. I called eBay support on the phone before finding this forum post; support said talk to USPS. 

Message 200 of 268
latest reply

Don’t bother with the outsourced CS, they are woefully ignorant and will say anything to get you off the phone.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 201 of 268
latest reply

Same issue here.  Sarasota, FL.  Freight forwarder.  Item shows delivered on USPS end and not delivered in eBay's system.  Very frustrating. 

ebayissue2.jpgebayissue.jpg

Message 202 of 268
latest reply

In my example, USPS never does a delivery scan, then closes the investigation without any specifics, then ignores my escalation for investigation.

My customer has confirmed that his freight forwarder notified him of receipt and it is on its way to Japan.

The items tracking remains in limbo despite using Priority mail and issuing two requests for investigation.

This exposes sellers to liability to INRs and IMO should result in our shipping fees being refunded for failure to compete PAID tracking service, just like we get dinged when we fail. If eBay helps hold USPS accountable maybe they will do more rather than less.

trackingdefect.jpg

Message 203 of 268
latest reply

This is still an ongoing issue. I found this thread, and status "DELIVERED TO AGENT FOR FINAL DELIVERY", because I had a package missent to Alaska instead of the address in Sarasota Florida, which I found out, is a freight forwarder.

My biggest issue with this is that I do not ship to International addresses for a variety of reasons, some being high cases of INR, outright fraud, miscommunications with international buyers and a host of other issues. This however, seems to be a loophole that foreign buyers are using to get around that requirement. That is fine, but that US ADDRESS I sent it to IS the FINAL DELIVERY. Nobody that has their eBay policies outlining no international shipping, should have to wait for the item to be delivered OVERSEAS to get DELIVERED status updated. eBay needs to mark this as DELIVERED once it hits the US address eBay has provided to us as the delivery address.

I also found out, that if you go to ORDERS/PAID AND SHIPPED and click on the order number under ORDER DETAILS, it shows it as DELIVERED on the date it hit the last US address, even though they still show it as IN TRANSIT on the pop-up window using the tracking number link, which is the status they use for INR cases.

Message 204 of 268
latest reply

Go look under the order number in the ORDERS/PAID AND SHIPPED area. See if it's marked as "DELIVERED" there, with the date being the day they showed it delivered to the Sarasota address. eBay has TWO statuses on the item, but the one they use for INR cases will be the one they get from the POST OFFICE on the pop-up when you click on the tracking number as you have shown above.

Message 205 of 268
latest reply

eBay is standing by this as a “delivery”, I can confirm that is the case. But it required me to contact concierge and have a manual verification and acknowledgment. I’m not sure how this bodes for part-time and/or sellers that don’t have access to the concierge service department. 

Message 206 of 268
latest reply

@redfashiongurl wrote:

Nobody that has their eBay policies outlining no international shipping, should have to wait for the item to be delivered OVERSEAS to get DELIVERED status updated. 

Thing is, that will never happen anyway.  Unlike using Ebay International Shipping or any other overseas carrier that the seller chooses and pays, THESE packages do not get a loaded-to-Ebay second tracking number for the travel beyond the freight forwarder's U.S. address, the one that the buyer provided to Ebay as THE delivery address.  WE know that address is all we are responsible for, the USPS knows it's all they were responsible for, and any buyer who pretends to not know what's going on also knows.  But if they want to try to get the item for free, they can file an 'Item Not Received' case, and the Ebay employee who looks and sees this "to agent for final delivery" thing -THEY may not know what it means, and close the case in favor of the buyer, because it looks like the buyer never received the item, and never will.  That is the problem, if you read some of the ^ horror stories ^ in this thread.  

Message 207 of 268
latest reply

@valueaddedresource  Curious what your thoughts are on this, since you have a pulse on numerous online seller platforms, all of which must be experiencing it.  What I'm especially curious about is WHY the USPS started adding the "to agent for final delivery' wording in their delivery scans.  I can only guess it was a CYA decision, to thwart their own problems with people claiming they didn't get things they ordered.  But with Ebay being so slow to keep up with this change, there are sellers losing sales revenues to buyers who very quickly figured out this was an INR refund opportunity.   
And here's another question (which I don't expect you know the answer to, but maybe you know people to ask) -did the USPS not only adopt the added wording but also change the "signal" (whatever kind of data transmission) that goes to whatever Ebay software recognizes stages of shipping?  What I mean is, USPS already had variously-worded delivery statuses ("in/at mailbox" "left with individual" "front door/porch" etc) and Ebay has always translated them as 'Delivered' period, for as long as I know anyway.  So what is it about this new one that makes it not trigger 'Delivered' translation, and why on Earth can't they program the software to do so???  I mean you can see how many times we've @'d mods about it.  

One more thing you probably don't know but I'll ask anyway -why doesn't the USPS tracking state the ADDRESS delivered to?  If they at least did that, contacting CS to save ourselves from fraudulent INR's would be a lot easier than trying to explain what FF's are and how this is how the USPS is now blah blah blah.  Rather, we could just say "See, it says delivered to the same address that the buyer provided." 

Message 208 of 268
latest reply

Thank you so much for the reply.  Unfortunately, paid and shipped orders still shows shipped, not delivered.  Clicking on the pop-up shows "In-Transit" along with "Delivered to Agent for Final Delivery."  I guess I will have to follow up with eBay customer service in the morning.  I don't see how a buyer can claim INR when you can enter the tracking in any browser/search engine, and it will show a green checkmark as being delivered.  Our job is done at that point and should reflect this on eBay, but it doesn't.  I really don't want to have to babysit my listings, but when 20% of my items end up being bid on or won by buyers with a location outside the US, even though I don't ship internationally, I'm tempted to throw in the eBay towel altogether.  

Message 209 of 268
latest reply

@gurlcat wrote:

@valueaddedresource  Curious what your thoughts are on this, since you have a pulse on numerous online seller platforms, all of which must be experiencing it.  What I'm especially curious about is WHY the USPS started adding the "to agent for final delivery' wording in their delivery scans.  I can only guess it was a CYA decision, to thwart their own problems with people claiming they didn't get things they ordered.  But with Ebay being so slow to keep up with this change, there are sellers losing sales revenues to buyers who very quickly figured out this was an INR refund opportunity.   
And here's another question (which I don't expect you know the answer to, but maybe you know people to ask) -did the USPS not only adopt the added wording but also change the "signal" (whatever kind of data transmission) that goes to whatever Ebay software recognizes stages of shipping?  What I mean is, USPS already had variously-worded delivery statuses ("in/at mailbox" "left with individual" "front door/porch" etc) and Ebay has always translated them as 'Delivered' period, for as long as I know anyway.  So what is it about this new one that makes it not trigger 'Delivered' translation, and why on Earth can't they program the software to do so???  I mean you can see how many times we've @'d mods about it.  

One more thing you probably don't know but I'll ask anyway -why doesn't the USPS tracking state the ADDRESS delivered to?  If they at least did that, contacting CS to save ourselves from fraudulent INR's would be a lot easier than trying to explain what FF's are and how this is how the USPS is now blah blah blah.  Rather, we could just say "See, it says delivered to the same address that the buyer provided." 

Thanks for the tag @gurlcat - you're right, some of that I don't know the answer to, but I'll reach out to some contacts and see if I can find any more info. 

I don't know why USPS changed this particular status message/update on tracking, but I believe you are correct as far is it changing the "signal" to eBay.

Don't have insight into the exact specifics of how it's programmed but it's likely eBay "maps" USPS status message to their own internal status settings with some kind of logic that basically says "if status from USPS is x, show status y on eBay."

If that is the case, then when there is a status message from USPS that doesn't have a corresponding eBay status assigned, the logic fails and it doesn't get updated to "delivered" on eBay.

I would think it shouldn't be difficult to simply add "delivered to agent for final delivery" to the list and map it as "delivered" like the other status messages, but there may be complications in play we aren't aware of - especially when eBay is weighing out whether that means the buyer actually received the item and what eBay's potential liability might be for INR claims as a result.

As far as I'm concerned it should be a pretty clear cut case, just like your examples of "in/at mailbox" "left with individual" "front door/porch" etc.

devon@ebay  is there an updated timeframe on a fix for this issue?

As far as why they don't reveal the full address when you track a package, it's for privacy (and liability) reasons. Bad actors can purchase tracking data in bulk on the dark web (I suspect how some of the "same zip code" fraud operates) or use technology to cycle through many permutations of potential tracking numbers to see if they are "real".

If the carriers exposed full addresses to any random person who just happens to plug a real tracking number in to their site, that would open up all kinds of potential for bad things to happen and for the carriers to be found liable if it does.

Message 210 of 268
latest reply