cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

a growing hatred of the return for not functional

Hey trinton@ebay,

Here is another of those cases where you are going to tell me I should take one for the team, even though I included a picture of the turned on screen in my listing, and you can see some ghosting he did not seem to be concerned as he never asked.

Had a 3 year old piece of electronics that I sold, original buyer never completed the transaction, I offer a second chance to the next bidder, he asks a couple questions, scratches, damages, including why the item was not sold. Answered every question, there were pictures in the listing or the item as well as many extra accessories that I included at no charge, actually the accessories are valued more than the item at this point. He seemed fine and told me he would take it, made the payment and within 18 hours of payment it was in the mail, and the post office got it cross country and delivered in less than 48 hours, so total time from payment to at the destination 62 hours.

He gets the item and messages me saying the is a problem with the screen (picture of screen in listing) and he wants my help. The issue is there is a bit of screen ghosting on a 3 year old phone, bright screen is in the picture on the listing. In my photo you can see some faint shadows, he claims severe burn in, well after 3 years some ghosting is expected. We go back and forth, he wants me to pay to have a new screen put in, I have it listed as used, and no return/exchange. During the back and forth he mentions that if he know there was screen burn in he would not have bid as high. Needless to say we did not come to a resolution. 

I did a quick search and the price he paid is the agerage for a parts only phone, and those that are functional are more then this guy paid, and they don't include 3 extra batteries, on a hicap, a case a charger for the smaller batteries, I even sent the replacement nibs for the spen. I also reviewed a lot of listings for the note 4 as well as other large smart phones from that tims, not one had a listing that medtioned anything about screen burnin, most used the catalog listing and not much else.

So he opens up  SNAD and I am ticked because I listed as used, took a close up of the screen turned on with the welcome screen showing, which is white and you can see slight ghosting. He never asked about it. So now I have to wait until Thursday the 24th to be able to do anything because I get 3 days to respond, but oh buyers get months to do things it seems.

So I guess that I will wait until the 24th and close my account because I can find a lot more places that I can shop, and as I don't sell much is it really worth it????? 

Not sure if this has been suggested, but make it an effort to file a SNAD claim, make to buyer bring the packaging and item to a designated location for inspection, inspector looks at it, looks at the listing, make a decision, if its the same, ebay should say sorry but that is buyers remorse. Or because Ebay offers the MBG, then EBAY pays it, why because the seller did it right and the buyer regretted their decision

Ass I wait for the 25th when I can close my account because some off shore call center staff made the whole thing worse that it was, trinton were you working evenings on 19 Aug.

Just a couple more days then poof

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

Re: a growing hatred of the return for not functional

Anonymous
Not applicable

@emtp117 wrote:

@AnonymousTried to send you a private message, but you don't allow that. I thought a private comment to you would be more appropruiate.

Good Day.

Jay

Hey Jay, I will reach out via email so we can discuss this further, no problem.

Message 31 of 41
latest reply

Here is a Wiki page that describes the screen technology that is used in many phones and other devices. 

To quote a section, please read the whole page however: 

Disadvantages[edit]

Red and green OLED films have longer lifespans compared to blue OLED films. This variation results in colour shifts as a particular pixel fades faster than the other pixels.[8]

AMOLED displays are prone to screen burn-in, which leaves a permanent imprint of overused colours represented by overused images.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOLED

So as it is a issue with the screen technology and not limited to just one unit. An issue such as this is not something anyone selling any electronic device using this technology should have to make an explicit point of. 

We may not agree and that is fine, as I have already said in prior posts I am leaving ebay, I have accepted that ebay is going to force me to accept a unit that is within industry standard for a used item.

Everyone just told me to accept it, I had, I think that it is wrong and that ebays policy is wrong and that is the reason I am leaving.

Message 32 of 41
latest reply

The average person has no idea what an OLED is. 

Message 33 of 41
latest reply

I crossed out the parts eBay won't care about.   Seriously, do you think anyone is going to spend time looking into any of this? 

Your item is SNAD.   Deal with it.  Smiley Happy

Here is a Wiki page that describes the screen technology that is used in many phones and other devices. 

To quote a section, please read the whole page however: 

Disadvantages[edit]

Red and green OLED films have longer lifespans compared to blue OLED films. This variation results in colour shifts as a particular pixel fades faster than the other pixels.[8]

AMOLED displays are prone to screen burn-in, which leaves a permanent imprint of overused colours represented by overused images.[8]

Message 34 of 41
latest reply

said, isin't it that ebay does not care that used things have wear and tear. @green-light maybe if more sellers would not accept being bullied something would change.  Maybe if more sellers would no longer accept being bullied then yes I do think it cane change.

Oh that smiling sarcastic emoji in your comment, not apprecieated.

to the commenter saying the average person not knowing what AMOLED is I will say this, they heard or saw it in the specs of the phone but don't bother to read the specs or it goes in one ear out the other, again not knowing something that is normal for all electronic devices is not the sellers problem, except on ebay. 

Message 35 of 41
latest reply

SNAD's only pertain to eBay, there are other online selling venues that will charge the buyer for returning one way or another - Macy's is one.

Message 36 of 41
latest reply

Did you mean green-night not green-light

Message 37 of 41
latest reply

@postingid2017 wrote:

SNAD's only pertain to eBay, there are other online selling venues that will charge the buyer for returning one way or another - Macy's is one.

They would if I purchased it. You see, I ALWAYS use a credit card. One simple call and its taken off the bill. If they don't want their widget back, I guess its up to them. Credit cards trumps ALL these polices (eBay, PayPal, etc).

Message 38 of 41
latest reply

in reply to 08-22-2017 02:00:58 PM

in reply to 08-22-2017 07:14:08 PM (5 hours later)

Here is a Wiki page (freely editable by the public) that describes the screen technology ...

Guessing that the email discussion didn't go well?

Message 39 of 41
latest reply

@hafoster wrote:

Here is a Wiki page (freely editable by the public) that describes the screen technology ...

Guess not - the OP is now NARU.

Message 40 of 41
latest reply

@angelgirl327 wrote:

@hafoster wrote:

Guess not - the OP is now NARU.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/7/9/m-p/27377129#M201203

Time flies.

Message 41 of 41
latest reply