cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who gets whats leftover from shipping cost? Me or eBay?

I was just wondering with the new system who gets whats leftover from shipping cost?

If the book is $3.45 to ship but it turns out to be $2.89 does the seller pocket the rest or does eBay keep it for themselves?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Re: Who gets whats leftover from shipping cost? Me or eBay?

you need to put that money in your pocket

books are heavy to ship.............maybe hard to sell.  if you sell 500 books and make a dollar from shipping  on each one then thats 500 in your pocket to pay for gas to get more books.

most of the difference in shipping is eaten up by taxes addded to shipping and then the FVF

it woud be close to 50 cents given to MP becasue of taxes and fees

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

You get the shipping money the buyer paid (minus the fvf eBay takes). Then you pay for the label, and if there's any $ left over you keep it. And if the label costs more than you charged for shipping then you pay the difference.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

@captureitagain wrote:

I was just wondering with the new system who gets whats leftover from shipping cost?

What new system, @captureitagain?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

You do. All monies are paid to you for the item and shipping. How much it costs is irrelevant after the sale.  

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@captureitagain wrote:

What new system, @captureitagain?

@wastingtime101 Isn't it amazing how many people think of managed payments as some sort of new system that alters the amount of money sellers get, or immediately think it is a nefarious way to take sellers money? 

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

What's amazing to me is the number of sellers that never realized they paid a percentage to PayPal and experience shock and outrage when they see the consolidated eBay fee.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

I sell for other people for a fee and have been for years making decent money, but since the mp system took effect I`ve noticed a signficant drop in profits. The only thing that could possibly make such a difference is the loss of the amount the buyer paid over the discounted actual price. Also I`ve been told by ebay help line people that the money for shipping is not released to the seller until the postal label has been paid for and scanned into the system when USPS accepts the package.

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

@cincoc1 

Sellers that sell low priced items combined with free shipping will be fortunate to break even. 

Someone did a breakdown. It seems they said it wasn’t worth it for them to sell anything under $10. 

When PP was the processor, they took their ~3% off the top. Sellers were paying an additional 10% to ebay on that monthly invoice. We have seen many long term sellers be  quite surprised by Managed Payments and seeing the 12.9% come off all at once. 

Percentage wise, it is now the same. eBay takes 12.9%. With eBay and PayPal it was 2.9% to PP and 10% to eBay. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

I paid $7.37 for an eBay shipping label, eBay deducted $8.42 from my payments!  The auction was set up for 2 pounds, because it was really close to 2 before packing it, so I set it up for 2 pounds, just to be safe. After I was done packing it, it ended up being a little under 2 pounds, so it was 1 pound.  I changed it to 1 pound before creating the shipping label. So in my case, EBAY took the extra difference amount!

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

I meant it ended up being a little under 1 pound.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Maybe because PayPal didn’t collect an egregious sum on the taxes paid? There’s quite a bit of difference between 2.9% and 12.9%. 

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

You do.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

@ifindtreasures If you buy a shipping label through ebay you are charged the cost of the shipping label, not what the buyer paid.

Keep in mind that you are paying fees on the total sale which includes the item, shipping and taxes.   So if 

If you want to provide exact numbers of what the buyer paid in total, the cost of the label and how much you received in total, we might be able to help you figure it out.

Since this thread was started last year, it might be closed so it would best to start your own thread.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

If the thread was closed, you wouldn't have been able to respond.  I understand how it all works.  I haven't shipped on eBay, since PayPal.  I am back to selling on eBay, sold my first item, used managed payments for the first time, eBay definitely "pocked" the shipping surplus. The shipping label cost $7.37.  As soon as I purchased the label via managed payments, eBay added a NEGATIVE $8.42 to my managed payments.  That was the amount for 2 pounds that it pulled from my auction, but I changed it to 1 pound, as that's what the box ended up weighing after I completely packed it, so it cost me $7.37 for the shipping label, but eBay charged me $8.42 from my account. Therefore, the surplus went to EBAY, not me! I definitely plan on calling them about this soon, but this is a very FLAWED system and technical issue, if I have to call them every single time, when I need to change the weight! I am SURE other people must be calling them about this issue too.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply