cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's the point of using eBay generated address labels?

Ebay keeps suggesting I "save money" by using the address labels they generate. I have been hand writing addresses on packages for 20 years with inexpensive markers that seem to last forever. I don't see how I'm going to save money since I would have to use my expensive printer ink (which seems to be running out constantly) and plenty of clear packaging tape (which it already seems that I am forever buying) to secure them.  Anyone else have thoughts on whether eBays labels are actually a money saver for you given the extra printer ink and tape involved?

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: What's the point of using eBay generated address labels?

Instead of using eBay Calculated Shipping, I just weigh my packages myself, on my Dymo Model M3 Postal Scale, which I purchased over 10 years ago at Office Depot.  It operates on 3 "AAA" batteries, and can weigh packages up to 3 pounds.  Anything over 3 pounds, and I simply weigh in increments, and then add all together to get a total.  If it's a single item weighing over 3 pounds, I take it to the post office to weigh, then bring it back & prepare for shipment.  And I run off my own eBay shipping labels on my home printer -- I ship out a lot of books at USPS Media Rate, and generally save at least $1.00 (sometimes more) on postage through the eBay shipping program.  Today, I sold 9 books -- so I'll be saving at least $9.00 on tomorrow's mailings.  And on international shipments, I save even more!

So get with the picture -- stop giving all your hard-earned profits to the post office, when you can easily save a bundle by using eBay shipping!

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

The eBay price for Media Mail is the same as you'd pay at the PO.  

I didn't mention this above, because the OP doesn't seem t have anything listed with MM.  But in the image I posted above, you can see that the shipping calculator doesn't show a price comparison as it does for Priority.

" If it's a single item weighing over 3 pounds, I take it to the post office to weigh, then bring it back & prepare for shipment."

That sounds like a lot of effort.  Why not invest in a better scale?

Message 17 of 32
latest reply

@pfoasafehaven wrote:

BUT how do you know what the shipping cost is going to be if you don't take it to the post office and have them weigh it? Ebay's suggested shipping fees have been way off base for my particular packages. Sometimes I would actually be paying much more than the actual cost.

Get a postal scale like one of these. Without knowing how much a package weighs before listing an item for sale, you're costing yourself in so many ways @pfoasafehaven. Weigh your items, factor in the weight of boxes and packing material, then enter accurate package dimensions and weight into your listing using a calculated (not flat) shipping cost.

Message 18 of 32
latest reply

You've been throwing away money for 20 years?

Get a Rollo, no ink, no tape.

I save thousands a year in tape, paper, ink and time. 

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

If your local Post Office supports it, you might be able to have them print your eBay labels and skip the printing and taping altogether. When you buy postage through eBay, under the "Shipping label format" there's an option for QR Code. If you select this option, you show the QR code to the postal employee and they print the label for your package. Check out the eBay FAQ page here for more details:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/shipping/qr-code-for-ebay-labels.html

You'll still need to take care of weighing and packaging the item. I'd recommend getting a cheap postal scale. The price you pay for that will easily be recouped in money saved by not paying retail price for shipping.

Message 20 of 32
latest reply

The eBay generated labels are a significant discount compared to the price of regular shipping at the post office for 1 thing. Secondly, by buying your label through eBay it automatically generates the tracking information into eBay for the buyer. I use a Brother black and white only laser printer that’s around $100, and the toner in it lasts forever. I wirelessly print labels from my phone tape them on the package and stick my packages in the mailbox with the flag up, if I have more than fits in the box or they’re to large I put a note  in the box that says grab the extra at the house, done no traveling to the post office or waiting in a line.

Message 21 of 32
latest reply

@pfoasafehaven wrote:

I don't have the option of switching to anything, but thanks for responding anyway.

What makes you think you have no options?

Message 22 of 32
latest reply

Reasons I continue to purchase Ebay labels:

#1 The discount. I was getting the same discount when I was using other shipping services but this leads to my other points.

#2 The tracking number is loaded into the order by Ebay. When I was using other shipping services I would frequently get errors where the tracking number was not accepted when I would enter it into the order, and therefore I'd get a ding for not uploading the tracking information on time.

#3 When a buyer opens an INR case, all of the information is in the order and since it has been generated by Ebay I have not had to fight those cases. 

Overall it has alleviated stresses I have had in the past.

Message 23 of 32
latest reply

Can you tell me more about Zebra? Are the labels expensive? Thanks so much!

Message 24 of 32
latest reply

I don't have the financial ability to buy a new printer.

Message 25 of 32
latest reply

Thanks, I'll check that out. 

Message 26 of 32
latest reply

Thank you for the suggestion. I don't have the financial ability to replace a printer I already have and what's worse is that every time I have replaced one in previous years it has been such a hassle to try to get my computer to recognize it.  Since I guarantee shipping of any order with 24 hours and have 100 percent feedback for doing so I would be risking missing getting a shipment out while I was fooling around trying to get a new printer connected (which has sometimes taken several days in the past). But I appreciate that you took the time to answer me, thank you! If I go the route of eBay labels I will have to be content to use the cartridge eating HP printer I already have.

Message 27 of 32
latest reply

There's no need for you to even think about getting a new printer.  Many sellers have done a lot of research and have gotten printers that they love and thus want to promote, but that doesn't mean that you have to change.  I print my eBay shipping labels on an old-ish HP Deskjet F4180.  As mentioned in one of the posts above, a shipping label doesn't take much ink.

Message 28 of 32
latest reply

You can also print 1st class labels online for up to 15.9 oz rather than just the 13oz cutoff at the post office. 

Message 29 of 32
latest reply

When you list your item on ebay you should be putting in accurate weight and dimensions of the item including the shipping box and any packing material. If weighing is the concern you can purchase a very inexpensive food scale. Most food scales go up to several pounds. Once the correct measurements and weight are entered into ebay and you select Calculated shipping option then ebay will charge the buyer the full USPS shipping cost for the item. You then save money by purchasing the label thru ebay instead of at the counter. 

Message 30 of 32
latest reply