cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are my options?

I sold a book on eBay about six weeks ago.  The buyer paid promptly and I mailed the book on July 25 via Media Mail.  The tracking shows normal activity up to August 3, when it says "In Transit.  Arriving Late."  That's the last entry.  I checked with my local post office today and the clerk said, "It will be delivered.  It says "In Transit.'"  I have my doubts.

The buyer has been patient, but I believe it is time to issue him a refund.   It's only $12.50, but do I have any recourse with the Post Office?  It seems, at the very least, they should refund the amount I paid for postage since they did not provide the service I paid for; i.e. delivery of a package.

And is there any special way I should refund so that I might get my seller fees back from eBay?

Thanks,

July

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: What are my options?

Book rate is a bad way to ship at the moment, slow slow slow.

Yep refunding is your best option. As for ebay fees, well I doubt it.

Besides eBay is not responsible for the USPS.

As for the USPS and shipping cost , nope. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I've shipped two items via Media Mail since this one.  Both were delivered within a week.  I think this one just got lost.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

If your buyer opens an item not received case and you then refund, ebay will refund the fees they charged you. As to the post office, they do not refund postage costs for most non-delivered items.

I send many items via media mail. I watch all my sales via the tracking number and if I see something is sitting for a week in one location, I open a case online at the USPS website under 'where is my package.' Normally this will shake it loose. Sometimes they don't properly investigate and almost immediately close the case. In those instances, I open the case back up and the post office will assign it to someone else.  It is interesting to me how packages that have been sitting for awhile will miraculously appear again after a case is opened.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Don't worry about it until the buyer messages you or files an item-not-received report.

Why would you want to refund buyer while in transit?  You risk losing the book and money by doing that.

Media Mail normally takes several weeks for delivery and may take longer with the postal slowdown.  It is a low-priority package.  It is best and more reliable to use First-Class or Priority for anything shipped these days.

Move on.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Many books go over the weight limit to mail via first class and priority mail is usually too expensive for these sales. They would throw the price up so high that there would be little to no sales. Also during this pandemic, I have had some first class packages take longer than media mail. It's a mess.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Oh, he has been messaging me.  Constantly.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply