cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS claims I paid wrong shipping fee

Has this happened to you? I got an E-mail from eBay that I paid First Class fee and used a Priority Box.  Totally untrua. This was a small item and I used a small brown, used cardboard box from a store, no priority anything, tape, labels etc. The box did not have any markings or barcodes. I'm puzzled. Is this what we are going to see more of from now on? I don't have a way to show what I did. Strange...

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: USPS claims I paid wrong shipping fee

@yuzuha wrote:

How heavy was the box?  I'll bet that what happened was that it was a weight issue that bumped it from First Class up to Priority.

That's my take on it too. Package was too heavy for FCP.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

This document explains the APV program:
https://postalpro.usps.com/storages/2017-08/APV_FAQs_External_2017.08.17_v1.pdf

You can appeal an APV system charge with USPS:

──────────────────────────────────────────────────────── 

Disputes/Appeals

What do I do if I disagree with the assessment by USPS?  
If you disagree with the assessment, follow the instructions on the notice to submit a
dispute.

• You can open a dispute by contacting USPS by emailing verifypostagehelp@usps.gov
    or directly at 844-819-5187 between 7AM-7PM CT, M-F. 
  • Please prepare to share the following, which can be seen on the notice of
    shortpaid charges: 
  • Intelligent Mail package Barcode (Tracking) Number – last 4 digits
  • Revenue Assurance ID
  • Reason Code
  • Contact information (name, email, and phone number) 

USPS may review all scan data relating to your piece in question, including image analysis,
and, if such an error has occurred, USPS will work through the PC Postage entity to return
the amount in question.  

How long will it take USPS to review my dispute/how can I check the status of my dispute?  

• Most responses can be expected in 2-5 business days, and at most 15 business days.
  • The status of your dispute claim is available from your PC Postage entity and may be
    updated daily.

When will I receive my refund if I dispute my shortpaid invoice?  

• If your dispute is upheld you may be due a refund. 
  • All payments are processed by your PC Postage entity on behalf of USPS.  You will need to
    contact your PC Postage entity directly for questions regarding billing or your account.

────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

Does the message state the package weight? Perhaps their warning system isn't accounting for FCP mailings with on-line labels that can go up to 15.999 ounces. After all, you can't print such labels on their own website, only elsewhere.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

That would be a pretty major FAIL.
Message 19 of 25
latest reply

Yes, so major that  we would have heard about that before now.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

Yes, so major that  we would have heard about that before now.

I agree, but I'm just throwing that out here as a possibility. I'm in IT myself, and dumb things happen. Unfortunately the USPS has had some dumb incidents in the past, too; you may remember their initial rollout of that underpayment alert system, where it was dinging the sender for a package weight of "6.1 pounds" when his own USPS receipt showed it at 5.9, or something like that. (I had a quick look for the discussion thread about it here, but couldn't find it in an initial search.)

In this case, it would not surprise me if they coded the alert to reject any FCP item that was more than 13.0 ounces, forgetting that the on-line, out-of-network labels are allowed to go as high as 15.999.

@finnpwr: What was your declared weight for that package?

Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Hi,
It just happened to me, I shipped a 10 ounce first class envelope and the post office is charging me for a 1 lb. 3 oz. priority package - nearly $7.00 more. Unfortunately on the day I shipped, the postal clerk used the hand held scanner which doesn't weight the package, it just spits out a receipt. I did go back to the post office - recreated the package in front of them and had them weight it. They believe me, but said there is nothing that they can do. I am going to file a dispute with the post office and will have to see if I can get it reversed.
Message 22 of 25
latest reply

The warning comes thru my ebay email with info on the package and weight and what they are going to deduct from your account. My package was shipped on January 28th.
Message 23 of 25
latest reply

Guys, this is a 2 year old thread. You are probably not going to get current information.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 25 of 25
latest reply