cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Damaged Item Insurance

Is this happening to anyone else??

First of all, I'm very thankful that I don't have many of these issues of items damaged during transit.

The customer notifies me of damaged items. The customer sends pictures of damaged items and shipping contents. I filed a claim with the USPS (as the sender) and they sent me a letter requesting to see the contents of the shipment. I don't have any of that. Now I haven't spoken to USPS about this issue... I am just wondering if anyone has gotten the same thing. I have maybe 1 or 2 claims in a year. 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

@urbanpeddler 

From what I have read here, the USPS claim process varies depending upon who you talk to with USPS.

Not every counter person or postmaster executes the exact same process.

Some say they submit online only.

I have heard of eBay sellers claims being granted on photos only. 

Have also heard on here that the buyer has to take the shipping materials and damaged items to the counter.

Some folks say they never win, some say they never lose.

There are some experienced USPS claim winners here on the boards. Hopefully someone might be along to assist.

Posting ID
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

As of a couple years ago 3 things happened.

1) USPS no longer just 'accepts' claims online

2) seller must file but the BUYER must have item available for USPS inspection (if buyer ships back to seller, all is null and void)

3.) USPS SELDOM pays for 'damage' and usually blames the seller for 'lack of packing skills' (especially if 'breakage' is 'internal' and NOT something externally obvious...if it is Internal, Seller will get $0.00

Seller owes buyer full refund with or without USPS 'insurance'. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I’m an insurance claim loser.  Hadn’t had any claims in years till this fall with two and both went ground advantage.  Each was approx. twenty bucks, filed online using good photos, received letters to take to post office, neither buyer followed through, so I lost both claims.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Okay... thanks for the answers... so it's not just me. Why do they even give us the option to file insurance claims online then? 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Well, I suppose had my buyers followed through with taking the items to the post office, the claims might have been paid.  The photos clearing showed the box had been smashed, on one in particular, so it was ridiculous and embarrassing to have to impose on my buyer to do this.   Hopefully I have no more breakage, but I doubt I'll ask a buyer to do this again unless the amount is substantial.   I feel that's what the po is banking on too. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

@urbanpeddler wrote:

Okay... thanks for the answers... so it's not just me. Why do they even give us the option to file insurance claims online then? 

They give the option because

a.) some boxes/envelopes are TRASHED and obvious that they are....if I were a buyer and got a trashed box, I'd be at the US Post Office same day if not the next. 

b.) for 'LOST' packages that do NOT show as 'delivered'. 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply