cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking number added is already used by a different seller.

I buy my shipping labels through pirateship and they upload automatically. They have been doing that perfectly fine for a while now. after i ship my items the tracking is all uploaded. but now I looked at my tracking report and there's a bunch that say no tracking uploaded. when I try to input the tracking number again it says in use by a different seller. It keeps dropping my rating but I'm not sure what to do, it just keeps happening. 

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: Tracking number added is already used by a different seller.

there's a bunch that say no tracking uploaded.

@pokemo_40 

Are these related perhaps to orders of multiple items from the same buyer? 

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

No, all different buyers with different addresses. 

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

For the "Tracking uploaded on time and validated" metric alone, your rating will never go below Above Standard, as long as you or Pirateship make sure that the sales in question have been "Marked As Shipped" in your Seller Hub. It can drop you out of TRS to Above Standard, but not lower than that by itself.

I sell a lot that uses USPS First Class Letter or First Class Envelope, where the USPS does not even issue tracking numbers. EBay makes allowances for this in service metrics, as long as a seller makes sure that those items are marked as shipped  in their Seller Hub > Orders. I use Stamps.com for all of my shipping, and it automatically marks my FC Large Envelope sales as shipped for me at eBay, without a tracking number. For those FC Letter items I send with a stamp or two, I manually mark them as shipped in my Orders tab. That is the only metric that has me below TRS, at 66%, but a seller will not drop below Above Average just on "Tracking uploaded on time and validated".

SO unless TRS status is important to you (it never materially helped my sales when I had it), it is nothing to worry about on its own if you make sure the affected sales are marked as shipped... UNLESS a scamming buyer wants to claim that they never received the item, at which time you'll have to refund them. That is the only caveat, and with a couple thousand USPS First Class sales, only a handful over the years had to be refunded.

If you're still concerned about no tracking number being allowed to be uploaded, do NOT telephone what appears to be eBay Customer Service. It's an outsourced joke and is actually Customer No-Service where they will lie or tell you anything just to get you off the phone. Instead, contact an actual eBay employee at eBay For Business on Facebook and use the message button in the upper right to get things started. The actual eBay employees on the other end have been quite helpful in the past for a lot of us sellers.

Cheers, Duffy

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I recently had a tracking number not make it to eBay from Pirate Ship. Five labels purchased at once; only four uploaded tracking.

i was only using Pirate Ship so I could pay with my cash back credit card. But after this happened, and hearing stories like yours over the last few days on Facebook, I set my cash back card as my default PayPal payment method and have gone back to buying labels on eBay. It feels safer at the moment. 

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Thats great to know, thank you! Ive contacted them on facebook and just awaiting a reply! Yeah everything seems to be marked as shipped. Its just every so often the tracking just disappears after its entered. 

Thank you!

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

According to the chat on ebay its an ongoing bug that will hopefully get fixed eventually. Ive only done with pirateship but I might have to buy labels on ebay if this doesnt get resolved. Its so weird cause the tracking is uploaded but then a week or more later some just vanish.

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

It's only happened to me once with pirateship for a USPS label.

You can try adding it manually

420 + 5 digit destination zip code + tracking number.

All together. For USPS. Didn't see you mention carrier  

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

It's hard to say whether the interface is broke on the eBay side or the Pirate Ship side. I have used Pirate Ship for quite some time. When you generate the label on Pirate Ship there is a little copy tracking number to the right of the tracking number that you can click on and copy the tracking number to the clipboard. 

dbfolks166mt_0-1715199272815.png

You then just go into the eBay order and add the tracking information into the order, the carrier should fill in automatically,  and save the information. 

I use Pirate Ship for a number of reasons including the cash back credit card for label payment mentioned by very-nice-finds. While I seldom ship with UPS I was burned once by eBay with surcharges on a label, something I do not worry about with Pirate Ship. Also I have found Pirate Ship to have slightly better discounted rates than eBay does on occasion. Pirate Ship does not have FedEx as a carrier option but I never ship FedEx anyway

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

The problem is when I do that it says that the number that ive just got is already in use by another seller. Pirateship said there was nothing they can do on their end. 

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

I'm having the same issue on 4 of my recent orders...Extremely frustrating.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Is it worth having the risks of multiple websites and interfaces to save a nickel or a dime on your shipping?

I can tell you that it is not worth any greater risk to my Ebay account to me. I will not run my credit card payments through PayPal when I buy either. Too much complexity is my enemy.

As the old saying goes K I S S "keep it simple stupid". When combined with another great truth - Murphy's Law it offers wisdom for the ages.

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

We use Pirate Ship pretty much exclusively and have had the same issue crop up, although only on about 4-6 orders out of hundreds so it hasn't had any real impact on our ratings. We contacted eBay and they seemed to know about it as there was an existing service tag that they added us to. I was wildly speculating with the rep on the phone as to whether they ran out of tracking numbers and were recycling old ones quicker than eBay's validation system was set up for.

Thread 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

When you check your tracking number on the USPS site, does it show your information or someone else's? Depending on what it shows, you need to contact either pirateship or ebay customer service, one of them needs to fix it.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

@martin2001 wrote:

When you check your tracking number on the USPS site, does it show your information or someone else's? Depending on what it shows, you need to contact either pirateship or ebay customer service, one of them needs to fix it.

It shows all the correct info. on USPS website, as well as Pirate Ship which has a nice tracking window. The "real" shipping process is also fine and packages physically proceed as normal. The order also gets marked as shipped in eBay automatically but won't allow the tracking number to be uploaded, even manually. I'm pretty sure it's something on eBay's end.

We just had another one happen today (5/9).

We also had an older instance that actually let me upload the tracking number (although it had long since been delivered). That's another reason why I think this is some kind of system issue with old tracking numbers not getting "released" in the right time frame by however eBay validates the number.

If it became a big issue a workaround should be to catch the problem tracking numbers by reviewing orders list and then void and print new labels for any that don't show the tracking upload. We haven't gotten to that point yet.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply