cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible buyer

So, I’m a long time seller and buyer.  I don’t do it as a job, but just a hobby, here and there.  I have perfect feedback so far, and would like to keep it that way.

The dreaded “hardly any feedback” buyer recently purchased something from me, and not a small, cheap item, either.  The auction included free shipping.  I grabbed a hand mixer box that I had on hand because it fit the item snugly and securely, and it was just the right size.  I shipped it promptly, as usual.

Buyer receives it and immediately within a couple hours of delivery files a complaint with Ebay that the item was not as described, that it was a hand mixer.  Buyer didn’t even open the box—that or buyer had buyers remorse and was making excuses.  My auction specifies I don’t accept returns so they escalated immediately with Ebay.  I respond to the seller to explain their item is inside the box, please open the box.  They don’t respond and instead escalate further needing a refund.  I report the buyer and call Ebay.  Ebay tells me I’ll be okay.  An hour later an email from Ebay shows up saying that the buyer is returning the item and the amount will be debited from my account including the new shipping.  Are you kidding me?

I call Ebay again.  Ebay assures me that once I receive the item I can call back and appeal saying that the buyer lied and the item was as described and that it was a faulty return.  So here I have about 750 or so positive reviews over 16 years, and this new Ebayer with 2 reviews did not even open her box before insisting on a full refund, and Ebay is punishing ME? I personally think she’s a scammer, but whatever. I will be very, very upset if I lose out over this whole thing.  So frustrated right now.  Not only that, but I will not be able to leave a negative review on her account, but she will be able to destroy my perfect record if she feels like it!!!!

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Terrible buyer

*****Happy Ending*****

Today the buyer finally opened her box, loved her item, and closed the case without the return.  My fault for sending it in a funky box, and I sent a note apologizing for the confusion.  But she is very happy with her item and is keeping it.

Thanks all.

Message 46 of 57
latest reply

Cool Beans.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 47 of 57
latest reply

@russianbluecatgirl wrote:

I am so sorry this happened to you!

I can't ever remember concerning myself with the box that something arrives in - especially if it is from a small seller on Ebay. As long as the item is securely packed and arrives intact  - who cares?

I suspect buyer's remorse. If it wasn't the box, it would have been something else.

I agree.  

Message 48 of 57
latest reply

Short story to prove that eBay won't protect or care about sellers. I have been on eBay since 2007, always selling laptops, never had an issue before, if an item is broken I work with the buyer or refund buyers money. I sold a MacBook Air 2015 3 weeks ago, the buyer contacted me saying the screen was broken, delivery damage. I told him to ship the MacBook back to me so I can issue a refund. Once I received the machine, I find out that he swapped my screen for a broken one and removed my hard drive and shipped back to me. I provided documentation, pictures, but no, eBay refunded the money to the buyer and the only way they can help me is if the buyer admits what he did, a thing that is not going to happen since he never replied back to me when I emailed him when received the machine. The buyer protection is full of loops, dishonest buyers are taking advantage and eBay doesn't care because is not their money.

Message 49 of 57
latest reply

@variety_nook wrote:

@kitagrl  Wrote: "I grabbed a hand mixer box that I had on hand because it fit the item snugly and securely, and it was just the right size."

Perhaps you should try shipping in a more professional manner. A used unrelated box, basically shipping an item in something that's recycled garbage. REALLY!?

I once received a rather expensive item in an old corn flakes cereal box. The seller got it back. What it comes down to, is that if you're going to pretend to be a professional retail seller on eBay... ACT LIKE IT!!!

I don't want your garbage. Imagine if a big box store (Target, Kohls, Walmart, etc.) shipped you an item in recycled garbage. Why should a buyer on eBay expect any less than what a big box store would do!?

P.S. A tablecloth? Really? Read your original post.... "because it fit the item snugly and securely, and it was just the right size."

NO, It's because you chose to stuff it in whatever you happened to have on hand. You made your bed, sleep in it. 

The fact of the matter here is that the buyer proved to be liar by not opening the box and saying it was a hand mixer.  There is nothing wrong with sending items in a perfectly good recycled box.  You tend to talk down to people and think your word is gospel.  You would never get away with the disposition you have in a professional environment, yet you act as if you professional.

Message 50 of 57
latest reply

I do that often and it's a great way to save postage by having a box sized to fit the item.
Message 51 of 57
latest reply

Buyer started a "item as not descripted case" claiming item was not new but used.

He got mad when I requested pictures and started bad mouthing me.

He did send pictures complaining about a coupler being discolored and a mark on the of the tank ( these are main line lawn fertilization system ).

After I explained all the coupler have a green side and a blue side and the mark on the bottom appear to be from the box it was packed in, he came back at me that I was a liar and a cheat. He also started telling me how he is also a seller ( selling lightbulbs) with 100% feedback and I better just take care of this.

After going back through messages before the purchase I found one that told me was using 1/2 line and then asked, accused him of using this case as a way of getting out of paying

shipping and maybe a 20% restocking fee.

You can not tap the 1/2 lines because EZ Flo does not make a tap in that size. Just like I said trying to make me pay for your mistake.because you did not research what you doing when you planned on installing this system.

This was his reply

That is none of your business, you cant even fulfil your obligation of providing what you are required by Ebay, send over wrong stuff, and then poke in Customer's personal business. Its up to you to not send label, that is fine, come Friday be prepared.

I called EBay and was adviced to approve the return but message the buyer

he was resoniable for return shipping as per my return policy and maybe the 20% restocking fee. acouple days later I receive this message

Hello ,

I'm contacting you about the return request your buyer has opened for the item EZ-FLO EZ 001-CX 1 1/2 gallon main line lawn fertilization system  NEW IN BOX (182821963734) purchased by ledshoppe on

3/19/2018. As the item doesn't match the listing description, you'll need to pay for the return shipping, and once you get the item back refund the buyer the full cost of the item plus original shipping.

We've placed the return on hold for 5 days to allow you to arrange the return shipping with your buyer. If you don't provide a resolution to the buyer or facilitate the return of the item by

April 24, 2018

, we'll close the return in the buyer's favor and issue them a refund, even if they haven't returned the item. If you don't assist with return shipping, the case will be closed in the buyer's favor, you'll receive a defect and forfeit the final value fees for the transaction.

I when ahead and paid for a return shipping label and have receive my items back

but i also sent this message back to EBay

Landon M.

eBay Customer Support

Okay, I have received the two units back and will issue a refund but I'm still having a problem with this whole deal. I have taken pictures of the one unit he open and he never even looked at the second unit. I see no way to attach the picture to this message. There is no sign that these are not new and were used as the buyer claims.
As far as I see it, I'm not going to argue with the buyer anymore but someone beside me should paid out going and return shipping beside me. I also have a 20% restocking fee that is the reason this buyer,( who kept throwing in my face how he is a seller with a 100% feedback in my face) when the way he did, instead of just saying he could not make them work with his system.
And because I asked for pictures and did not roll over on his false claim he contacted EBay and left a negative feedback.
The way I see it someone owes me $40 in shipping and should owe me 20% of the sale, but I would be happy getting my shipping cost back. and the negative feedback removed.
Also I believe if EBay is going to get in the middle of situations
like this they should contact the seller and get their side on the matter, instead of taking the position the buyer is always correct and the seller wrong. I believe there is always two side to the story and not just one (the Buyer side), now if I'm wrong please tell me.
Let me know what I should do from this point, send you pictures, file a seller's protection claim or just take the lost and consider it the cost of dealing with a dishonest buyer and EBay that just figures sellers cost
really is not that important?

Somedays i wonder if my hobby is worth it I have a top seller's rating and until now I had 100% seller's rating for 5 years till this buyer

Message 52 of 57
latest reply

I recently sold a brand new unopened Paradise Galleries doll, Ruff,Ruff Riley.  I sent the buyer an invoice.  2 days later she requested if I would take off $4.14 because another seller had one cheaper by $4.14.  I looked up the item and the seller, her doll was used.  I replied I would not accept such an unreasonable request.  Today she asked me to cancel her order.  I will not cancel because I may have to pay cancelation fees.  I have been selling and buying on ebay since 2011 and yes, I have had a few buyers wanting ridiculous demands as if we, the sellers, are running a flea market.  I have blocked this buyer.  Talking to other buyers, she has done this many times.  So sellers beware and block those who takes up our precious time.  My time is just as precious as theirs.  Being a seller, I at times find myself taking the back seat and the buyer seems to always win......reborn-like-baby-toddler-ruff-ruff-riley-1_grande.jpg

Message 53 of 57
latest reply

I understand your frustration. I have gotten ripped off from a customer in Thailand who bought over $3,000.00 worth of my dolls. 4 large boxes were shipped. When she received them, she accused me of shorting her 7 dolls. Guess what? She did a chargeback, got all the money back, kept the 15 dolls which was the total amount. Ebay said they cannot control chargebacks because it involves another credit agency and it always sides with the buyer. Good for this "blocked" buyer. She not only got her cake and ate it, too..... she received free 15 dolls and probably made 3 x's the profit she first paid. Seems that the seller always looses no matter that the case has merit. I hesitate selling overseas because of this incident. I joined the class action suit which existed of sellers like myself loosing money unfairly because of chargebacks. At the end, 2 yrs later, the suit was won and I received $27.00. I should have been an attorney...….
Message 54 of 57
latest reply

Beware. I have blocked several buyers, but they return under another name. Ebay says they try to engage this activity, but it seems to slip threw their fingers. So heads up for those buyers using several names !!!!!!
Message 55 of 57
latest reply

As a buyer I have received many many items in boxes that were "repurposed".   As long as the box was clean, in decent shape and food hadn't been in them, I have no issue.   Of course, you would need to open the box to get your item - that is just common sense.

As a seller I have also repurposed boxes.   Generally in those cases I messaged the buyer and told them not to be alarmed, what they see on the box is not what is inside, it is the item they ordered.   As far as I know, no buyer has ever had any problem with it. 

Buyers need to realize not all sellers are full time professional retailers.  Many of us reuse shipping materials to keep costs down.   

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"
Message 56 of 57
latest reply

I usually don't comment like this but  - Yeesh!   Someone needs some perspective and an attitude adjustment.   Sorry if you are having it rough in life to be so harsh and angry variety_nook.   

Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering kaboom!"
Message 57 of 57
latest reply