cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible buyer

So, I’m a long time seller and buyer.  I don’t do it as a job, but just a hobby, here and there.  I have perfect feedback so far, and would like to keep it that way.

The dreaded “hardly any feedback” buyer recently purchased something from me, and not a small, cheap item, either.  The auction included free shipping.  I grabbed a hand mixer box that I had on hand because it fit the item snugly and securely, and it was just the right size.  I shipped it promptly, as usual.

Buyer receives it and immediately within a couple hours of delivery files a complaint with Ebay that the item was not as described, that it was a hand mixer.  Buyer didn’t even open the box—that or buyer had buyers remorse and was making excuses.  My auction specifies I don’t accept returns so they escalated immediately with Ebay.  I respond to the seller to explain their item is inside the box, please open the box.  They don’t respond and instead escalate further needing a refund.  I report the buyer and call Ebay.  Ebay tells me I’ll be okay.  An hour later an email from Ebay shows up saying that the buyer is returning the item and the amount will be debited from my account including the new shipping.  Are you kidding me?

I call Ebay again.  Ebay assures me that once I receive the item I can call back and appeal saying that the buyer lied and the item was as described and that it was a faulty return.  So here I have about 750 or so positive reviews over 16 years, and this new Ebayer with 2 reviews did not even open her box before insisting on a full refund, and Ebay is punishing ME? I personally think she’s a scammer, but whatever. I will be very, very upset if I lose out over this whole thing.  So frustrated right now.  Not only that, but I will not be able to leave a negative review on her account, but she will be able to destroy my perfect record if she feels like it!!!!

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Terrible buyer

I stopped selling after I dealt with a loser buyer. I sold a figurine which had a small sticker on the bottom of the base. The photo clearly showed the small sticker and furthermore the sticker could easily be removed, but the buyer whined about it so I refunded him his money and blocked this loser from bidding onany of my further auctions I had listed. He then had the nerve to contact me and whine that he was blocked and I told him why and if he continues to message me I would report him to ebay for harrassment. After all my auctions ended I decided to stop selling here. Not worth the aggravation dealing with a bunch of losers.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

I have heard it all now! I am sorry this happened to you.

I wish I had something helpful to add but I really don't. I hope you get your item back safe and sound.

Message 2 of 57
latest reply

Even if I do get my item back, it sounds like I might be out ten additional dollars of shipping money PLUS a possible refund (I gave free shipping).  Which means unless I win an appeal, it will have cost me $20 just to go through this hassle and possibly ruin my feedback with a new seller jerk.  And from what I am reading in other threads, the Ebay customer service people will say whatever you want to hear just to get you off the phone...but in reality, the buyer is always in control.  I don’t have a lot of money...I can’t afford to be out twenty bucks at somebody’s whim.

Message 3 of 57
latest reply

There must be some kind of rule when someone doesn't respond or responds negatively and escalates beyond what's necessary or fair.

My seller received an item back because of a bad address so it was never opened in the first place. We filed a dispute and he responded very negatively saying that he wouldn't ship again nor ship to a new address. Which he is in his right to do.. sadly. He escalated and made me lose the money back guarantee without coming to an agreement. Now gotta rely on PayPal to refund me.
Message 4 of 57
latest reply

Right, I would have liked the buyer to have communicated with me.  But other than saying “I ordered a tablecloth but instead you sent me a mixer” and then I said “The tablecloth is inside the box, please open your package” that was it...she escalated and had Ebay send her a return label.  And my policy says no returns anyway!  Why does Ebay get to override my policy????  Why do they offer that choice if they are just going to override it and debit my account?  The buyer can’t just change her mind and send it back with a lame excuse....

Message 5 of 57
latest reply

I stopped selling after I dealt with a loser buyer. I sold a figurine which had a small sticker on the bottom of the base. The photo clearly showed the small sticker and furthermore the sticker could easily be removed, but the buyer whined about it so I refunded him his money and blocked this loser from bidding onany of my further auctions I had listed. He then had the nerve to contact me and whine that he was blocked and I told him why and if he continues to message me I would report him to ebay for harrassment. After all my auctions ended I decided to stop selling here. Not worth the aggravation dealing with a bunch of losers.

Message 6 of 57
latest reply

Dogofwar—if this does not resolve to my benefit and I lose money over this drive-by-bidder, I will probably have to do the same.  I have made VERY little money over the past few months after you take into account shipping costs, Ebay fees, and PayPal fees.  I also lose a lot of time over non paying bidders.  If Ebay starts forcing us to pay jerk sellers for return shipping on top of it all, then I can’t afford to keep on allowing myself to be abused.  It’s too much.

Message 7 of 57
latest reply

You seem to be unaware of the fact that the money back guarantee trumps your return policy. You can’t stand behind your no returns policy when the buyer says the item is not as described. That’s why you lost the case. When you appeal, you’ll get at most the return shipping cost back. But you won’t get the item and the money from the sale. I’m not defending the buyer here just so you know. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 8 of 57
latest reply

Except that she has no idea if the item is as described since she did not open the box.  So she’s a liar.  The comment made in the complaint proves it because she stated she received a mixer instead of a tablecloth.  The tablecloth happened to be neatly packaged inside a recycled mixer box.  Thus she did not open the box.  Maybe purposely out of buyers regret, who knows.  Maybe she found it cheaper elsewhere and used the mixer box as an excuse.

Message 9 of 57
latest reply

@kitagrl wrote:

Except that she has no idea if the item is as described since she did not open the box.  So she’s a liar.  The comment made in the complaint proves it because she stated she received a mixer instead of a tablecloth.  The tablecloth happened to be neatly packaged inside a recycled mixer box.  Thus she did not open the box.  Maybe purposely out of buyers regret, who knows.  Maybe she found it cheaper elsewhere and used the mixer box as an excuse.

Your buyer said they received a hand mixer instead of a tablecloth.  That's it.    You might know the are lying but it doesn't matter.  This was an unwinnable case for you and should have just accepted the return once you realized the buyer was uncommunicative. 

Message 10 of 57
latest reply

Lying buyers who cause me a sizeable financial loss is unwinnable for me?  How can that be?

And btw the dishonest buyer never contacted me at all.  She went straight to escalation.  The first I knew of it was through the Ebay return email.  She’s a scammer.

And Ebay is a scam because they support and encourage scammers.  They will throw a long term member under the bus in preference to a new, untried member who lies.

Message 11 of 57
latest reply

variety_nook
Trailblazer

@kitagrl  Wrote: "I grabbed a hand mixer box that I had on hand because it fit the item snugly and securely, and it was just the right size."

Perhaps you should try shipping in a more professional manner. A used unrelated box, basically shipping an item in something that's recycled garbage. REALLY!?

I once received a rather expensive item in an old corn flakes cereal box. The seller got it back. What it comes down to, is that if you're going to pretend to be a professional retail seller on eBay... ACT LIKE IT!!!

I don't want your garbage. Imagine if a big box store (Target, Kohls, Walmart, etc.) shipped you an item in recycled garbage. Why should a buyer on eBay expect any less than what a big box store would do!?

P.S. A tablecloth? Really? Read your original post.... "because it fit the item snugly and securely, and it was just the right size."

NO, It's because you chose to stuff it in whatever you happened to have on hand. You made your bed, sleep in it. 

Message 12 of 57
latest reply

I posted to this thread last night and now I find my post and another that was posted after me have disappeared.  Neather post had anything close to violating any rules.  I would like to know why?

Message 13 of 57
latest reply

@kitagrl wrote:

The dreaded “hardly any feedback” buyer recently purchased something from me, and not a small, cheap item, either. 

I grabbed a hand mixer box that I had on hand because it fit the item snugly and securely, and it was just the right size.

New members are not dreaded.  Sites like this thrive on them.

Package more professionally.  Recycling boxes is fine ....  for in home use or sending things to family or friends.  It's not fine for sending things to paying customers.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 14 of 57
latest reply

Any buyer who has a problem with a seller recycling boxes, as long as the item is delivery safely, needs a reality check.

I’m no tree hugger or anything but I do understand that we all need to do our part in trying to protect the environment.
She ❤︎ Her ❤︎ Hers
Message 15 of 57
latest reply