cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible buyer

So, I’m a long time seller and buyer.  I don’t do it as a job, but just a hobby, here and there.  I have perfect feedback so far, and would like to keep it that way.

The dreaded “hardly any feedback” buyer recently purchased something from me, and not a small, cheap item, either.  The auction included free shipping.  I grabbed a hand mixer box that I had on hand because it fit the item snugly and securely, and it was just the right size.  I shipped it promptly, as usual.

Buyer receives it and immediately within a couple hours of delivery files a complaint with Ebay that the item was not as described, that it was a hand mixer.  Buyer didn’t even open the box—that or buyer had buyers remorse and was making excuses.  My auction specifies I don’t accept returns so they escalated immediately with Ebay.  I respond to the seller to explain their item is inside the box, please open the box.  They don’t respond and instead escalate further needing a refund.  I report the buyer and call Ebay.  Ebay tells me I’ll be okay.  An hour later an email from Ebay shows up saying that the buyer is returning the item and the amount will be debited from my account including the new shipping.  Are you kidding me?

I call Ebay again.  Ebay assures me that once I receive the item I can call back and appeal saying that the buyer lied and the item was as described and that it was a faulty return.  So here I have about 750 or so positive reviews over 16 years, and this new Ebayer with 2 reviews did not even open her box before insisting on a full refund, and Ebay is punishing ME? I personally think she’s a scammer, but whatever. I will be very, very upset if I lose out over this whole thing.  So frustrated right now.  Not only that, but I will not be able to leave a negative review on her account, but she will be able to destroy my perfect record if she feels like it!!!!

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Terrible buyer

If they didn’t want the item enough to open the package and just leave a complaint about the packaging, then they didn’t want the item and it’s a case of buyers regret.  The box is an excuse, and basically a lie because they accused me of sending an item not as described.  My small mistake of using a recycled box does not make the buyer’s lies and purchase regret okay.

When I really want something I purchased, I tear open the package (whatever it is) and can’t wait to get what’s inside.  Clearly this buyer did not want what she ordered.

Message 16 of 57
latest reply

And by the way, my reviews include compliments on my packaging.  Everything always arrives secure and safe.  Do not assume anything about my “professionalism” based on the fact I decided to recycle a box.

Message 17 of 57
latest reply

The recycled package is just the low hanging fruit for the return.  If you had new box they would have probably looked for something different like the color is different,size etc etc.  Besides in theory if they did get the blender wouldn't that have been more than the item they bought? 🙂

Message 18 of 57
latest reply

Fluffywhip....agreed, or they would have soiled the tablecloth (it was white, with a blue design, vintage) and claimed I misrepresented it.

The tablecloth was a vintage, higher value item with a well-known name brand, so it was about equal in value, or slightly more in value, than a Kitchenaid Hand mixer.   Probably equal, if you take shipping out of the equation.  Honestly, any normal person would have just opened the package, examined the tablecloth, and then maybe left a small complaint about the outside box.  The fact she did not even open it (or so she claims) tells me she was already planning to refuse the package for some reason or another.   

Still, I’m waiting to see if I get some sort of old, broken hand mixer back in the mail sometime this week....

Message 19 of 57
latest reply

I am so sorry this happened to you!

I can't ever remember concerning myself with the box that something arrives in - especially if it is from a small seller on Ebay. As long as the item is securely packed and arrives intact  - who cares?

I suspect buyer's remorse. If it wasn't the box, it would have been something else.

Message 20 of 57
latest reply

Until you have the item back, and with luck still in the box you shipped it in, you should calm down.

When you get it back, check that it is in fact unopened, and that your item is enclosed.

If it is, refund PROMPTLY.

If you don't, eBay will refund the dimwit buyer and you will get a Defect for poor service.

If you do, yes, you will be out the cost of shipping both ways, (poot!) but your seller account is unscathed and you can relist.

Put the spacecadet buyer on your Blocked Bidder List.

If the box is still sealed, call eBay and let them know that this is a case of Buyer Remorse. Do NOT open the box until you have done this.

If the box is unsealed, and something other than the shipped item is inside, call eBay and explain the problem.

In both cases, stay calm and ask that the clerk refer to the notes on the case.

Keep in mind that you can refuse Returns, but you cannot refuse Refunds.

I'm hoping you will come out of this short only the original cost of shipping.

As for your customer:IQ of population.jpg

Message 21 of 57
latest reply

A question about that....so Ebay has already stepped in because even though I have been a member for 16 years this is the first time I have ever had a buyer who went straight to Ebay instead of contacting me about a problem.  Actually I rarely have problems like this, mostly I run into NPBs.  So the buyer requested a refund through Ebay, and I chose ‘respond to buyer’ by asking her to look in the box.  The buyer responded by opening a case and demanding a refund (although I did actually report the buyer for not looking in the box, so maybe I opened the case...one of us opened the case, anyhow).  Ebay sent the buyer a shipping label.  I did not realize I was supposed to do that, so is my account already docked?   Or does the docking come after I refund and appeal and lose?    Because Ebay is already involved and they are automatically removing the money from my account as soon as the item arrives.  I had no idea that in responding to the buyer with a note, I was actually not in compliance...?????  So much for my 16 years of a perfect record, anyhow.  It was fun while it lasted, I guess!

Message 22 of 57
latest reply

@kitagrl Wrote: "The tablecloth was a vintage, higher value item with a well-known name brand"

Yet, you chose to ship the tablecloth in a used food mixer box? Next time, go to Walmart and buy a Brand New box for $0.50 cents.

The Post Office has various sized Priority mail boxes/bubble mailers for free. Most of the time Priority Mail ships for the same cost as Standard 1st class pkg. plus you get $50 insured for nothing extra. Just an FYI.

Hope this helps in your future shipping endeavors.

Best Wishes!

Message 23 of 57
latest reply

@variety_nook wrote:

Next time, go to ... and buy a Brand New box for $0.50 cents.

Boxes are available at all sorts of stores.  There's no reason to advertise for any certain one.  Personally, I would NEVER go to that one.

And there is no reason not to use a used box ...  as long as it isn't a retail item shelf type box.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 24 of 57
latest reply

@chrysylys Wrote: "And there is no reason not to use a used box ...  as long as it isn't a retail item shelf type box."

Well.... Exactly!!!

You should read the entire thread prior to commenting. Nor was I advertising for any specific store where NEW boxes are available. It was a suggestion.

Message 25 of 57
latest reply

@chrysylys 

P.S.

I would also like to add the comment that you left for @kitagrl

"Package more professionally.  Recycling boxes is fine ....  for in home use or sending things to family or friends.  It's not fine for sending things to paying customers."

That's somewhat hypocritical concerning your reply to my post, don't you think? I was at least giving the OP some pertinent information concerning packaging. Freebies from the USPS are overlooked by many sellers, not to mention the automatic FREE $50 insurance that you receive when shipping Priority.

Message 26 of 57
latest reply

@theposhmermaids wrote:

Plus, I said that as a buyer and seller, I have often sent and received recycled shipping boxes in good shape, and appreciate that they are being used and not going into a landfill.  Many of my sales on ebay go out in recycled amazon boxes and I haven't had a complaint yet!

I use recycled boxes 99.9% of the time, but I think there's a difference between using a recycled shipping box and a recycled product box.  The first one is fine, but I would never do the second, partially because product boxes are not made to withstand the sort of rough handling that packages get in the mailstream, partially because it just looks unprofessional, and partially because it can lead to situations like this.

Message 27 of 57
latest reply

I often need to ship strange size or over-size items and have found a great resource for less expensive shipping boxes---U-Haul!  Several months ago I sold a large framed picture.  I was going to have it professionally packed at the UPS store.  They quoted me $180.00.  No kidding!  I purchased a box from them for $35.00 and packed it myself.  I recently sold a similar-sized picture and my daughter suggested I try U-Haul.  The same size box there cost me around $2.50 and I also bought styrofoam corners for $2.00 more.  So, I was able to charge my buyer less, and he didn't complain about the U-Haul box---in fact he left me glowing feedback.

I asked the person at U-Haul why the boxes were so inexpensive, and he said they use them as an incentive to get customers to rent from them. 

Message 28 of 57
latest reply

This was $200 --

destroyed by static from paper and plastic.

Message 29 of 57
latest reply

A no feedback seller is one reason I stop selling long ago. I know we all starte somewhere, but some buyers are not meant to be on eBay --- open the box before lodging a ticket with eBay.

Most time I get boxes from someone on ebay, they look like they came from a store or the free ones from the PO.  I did have some DCC tapes some in a box that was from a small CCrane radio, but they fitted perfectly and had bubble wrap in them and came to me in working order.

KimmiKat
Message 30 of 57
latest reply