cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange refund case - need advice

A case I recently opened ended...strangly...and I'd like some advice on ebay/paypal policy regarding the situation. I recently won an auction for a new in box, never used, Sega Dreamcast. Auction ended for roughly $300. Once I receive and open the item, it's dreadfully obvious it's used. Lot's of damage. Not even close to new. Having been in this boat before...I take good pics....start a SNAD case....explicitly explain exactly what's wrong....and request a seller-generated return label for a refund. Looking back at the original pictures in the auction....combined with the sellers responses....it became clear he knew before selling, but was pretending I was scamming him instead. I took a hard line with him and said nope, you're sending a return label and I'm getting a refund. Period. (There's more here, but not relevant to the overall question) Out of the blue, he just refunds my money. No return label. Case closed. He sends a response basically saying....yeah ok fine, I'll return your money whatever. Then crickets. Now I have my money and the console. He has not responded to my confusion over returning the item. 

So my question is....where do I go from here? The guy clearly tried to....decieve me. There's no way I'm sending this back on my own dime. Can he go to ebay..or paypal...or someone to either get the money back or make me pay for something? I'm just really confused. I have zero issues returning it..I don't want it...but I need to be sure my money is safe now. (This was all done legit through paypal, no outside dealings). 

Any insight? Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Strange refund case - need advice

If he refunded you without asking for the item to be returned, there's nothing more you need to do.

He knew the item wasn't new and didn't want to pay to have it shipped back.

You can do what ever you want with the item.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

I had the same thing happen.  Bought a brand new reborn doll kit and never thought something would be wrong with it so I didn't check it(my fault).  The eye sockets had been cut away on the back so I can't use it and it was never disclosed in the listing.  It was listed as new,  but I waited too long to ask for refund and seller would not take it back without me paying for return shipping.   I have filed a claim with Paypal to get my refund.   Ebays return policy doesn't really help the buyer in cases such as mine.   PLEASE GO THROUGH PAYPAL for your refund

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

" Ebays return policy doesn't really help the buyer in cases such as mine. "

Yes it does.

"but I waited too long to ask for refund"

How is that eBay's fault?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

If you had filed a claim through Ebay within the time frame, the seller would have sent you a return shipping label and you would have got a refund.

Since you are going through Pay Pal, you will be paying the return shipping fee.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@dollybotique wrote:

I had the same thing happen.  Bought a brand new reborn doll kit and never thought something would be wrong with it so I didn't check it(my fault).  The eye sockets had been cut away on the back so I can't use it and it was never disclosed in the listing.  It was listed as new,  but I waited too long to ask for refund and seller would not take it back without me paying for return shipping.   I have filed a claim with Paypal to get my refund.   Ebays return policy doesn't really help the buyer in cases such as mine.   PLEASE GO THROUGH PAYPAL for your refund

Definitely not the same thing. 

Good luck with your case though. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

So my question is....where do I go from here? 

As I see it you have two choices:

1.   Sell it for a profit if you can.

2.  Throw it in the garbage.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

I would just assume the seller doesn't want it back. If your refund cleared PayPal you can do whatever you want with the item, but if it's an echeck that did not clear yet, I would hang on to it until the funds are actually available to you

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

There is nothing to do here. Both buyer and sellers responsibilities are at an end.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

He knew he sent you junk and didn't want to waste money to get it back. It's your now to do as you please. Sorry this happened to you.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

When the seller refunds you without sending a return shipping label, they are basically saying they don't want it back. I would hold on to it for a few months in case they change their mind and then sell it, donate it or toss it myself. There is no reason to contact the seller anymore.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@dollybotique wrote:

Sure it does, you said yourself you "waited too long to ask for refund" and even then the seller was willing to take it back. I don't know what you think PayPal is going to get you. With PayPal you have to pay return shipping yourself anyway so why not just go with the sellers original offer?

Message 12 of 12
latest reply