cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard envelopes for coins with auctions

How do you set shipping on an auction when the final sale may or may not be over $20 on coins

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Standard envelopes for coins with auctions

You can't vary shipping charges based on the final bid price of an auction.

What is it you are trying to accomplish? "Ships free if bid is over $20"?  There's no mechanism for that, and bidders always calculate the shipping costs into their bid so the final value is within the market price of an item.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

If I offer standard envelope shipping will the rate divert to 1st class package if the item sells for over $20

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

You have been selling for quite some time how did you do it in the past? I don't sell many coins but I would never use a standard envelope for shipping one anyway. The tracking may or may not work depending on which post office(s) it goes through. Even when I sold coins it was in a lot simply because you can easily pickup individual coins at a wide variety of B&M stores for far less than what you can purchase them on eBay for. 

Wheat pennies and most foreign coins I sold by the pound, actually just a little under so I could use first class. There are about 145 copper pennies in a pound and a lot of them are worth more for their copper scrap or smelt value than they are for their collectable value. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

No. The buyer will still be charged for standard envelope but you won’t be able to print a label for that service.  You might want to start the auction at a slightly higher price as a buffer if you think that you may have to pay postage for a first class package.   Or plan on using a stamp with no tracking.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Welcome to the inscrutable world of eBay standard envelope.  It's a conundrum wrapped in a riddle.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I've been burned by this.  Short answer, don't.  If you think it will go over $20, just make the base shipping first class package.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

For YOU it will.  The buyer will still pay 57 cents.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@ebeths_eclectic_collectibles wrote:

If I offer standard envelope shipping will the rate divert to 1st class package if the item sells for over $20

No, it's not possible to have the auction convert to First Class package if the bidding goes higher than $20.  

For winning bids over $20, you will have to pay for the First Class package postage extra cost out of the extra profit that you made with the higher selling price. So it's really a net cost out of your pocket only for items that sell for $20.01 up to about $23 (depending on buyer location and on what you charged them for the Standard envelope).   

Message 9 of 9
latest reply