cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Envelope Shipping Option is TERRIBLE

Am I the only person who thinks this standard Envelope Option to ship trading cards is NOT GOOD? I know it's not eBays fault for long delays, but when I order 3 sports cards from California I would think they should arrive faster than 8-10 days. I find it hard to believe that there is a 3 day delay and the tracking cannot update properly. I would rather spend the extra $1-2 dollars and get product quicker. USPS just isn't set up to ship items fast and cheap.

Anyone else feel this way?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Standard Envelope Shipping Option is TERRIBLE

Considering these past few weeks there has been a ton of weather-related delays and issues, I don't necessarily think it's USPS's fault. I cannot expect them to be delivering items during an ice storm, tornado, etc.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Are you the buyer in this case? Could it be possible that the seller you bought from simply waited a few days to drop your items off? I haven't noticed that ESE is really any slower than First Class - most items I ship with this method are delivered within a few days. Weather in other parts of the country could also be to blame as was already suggested.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

My stuff has been arriving super fast to buyers from the USPS. Perhaps the envelope which is being used for the trading card(s) is more than 1/4 inch thick and not bendable. That would make it a parcel. Standard envelopes (3 5/8 X 6 1/2 ) do not have tracking from the USPS. The longer envelope can if you do certified so you can get tracking from USPS to see on your computer. I have been able to send 4 trading cards for .63 in one envelope and they arrive OK. And same thing for International for 1.65. However, any plastic enclosed case you cannot mail at that price...(That is considered a parcel).

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I recently had a postcard take a FULL 30 days to arrive at an Eastern  state from the Midwest. It had no tracking whatsoever, but amazingly still arrived!

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@cncengineer 

I would rather spend the extra $1-2 dollars and get product quicker. USPS just isn't set up to ship items fast and cheap."

You can always tell the sender that you will pay extra shipping charges for faster delivery -- although I suspect it will cost you more than an "extra $1-2 dollars," since USPS rates were just raised again on January 23, 2023.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

"tracked" would be nearly $3 more at the very cheapest. ESE is not "tracked" in the true sense of tracking.

agree, your coast-to-coast 1st Class envelope should not take 8-10 days.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I just checked tracking tonight and this is what I see. I can’t even get an update for last day or 2. It contains 3 cards.cncengineer_0-1676262328986.png

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@12345jamesstamps ,

I think part of the problem is some sellers don’t understand that the envelope has to be under 1/4 inches thick and bendable. They use card holders and or cardboard because the are afraid cards will get damaged. 

Instead of using top loaders which are rigid and not very bendable. I suggest using card savers which are semi rigid and bendable but have no trouble going thru the mail sorting machines. If cards sent thru standard envelope can’t go thru the sorting machines they won’t get scanned and tracked either. 

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

That is where you are wrong. It's not First Class. What you are getting is a Ebay Standard Envelope rate which is unique to Ebay only.  A semi tracked Media Mail type speed. Sometimes longer in my experience. 

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

In my frustration with this service, this thread helped a lot.  The last two replies really go in my head "Oh, that's why."  Thank you all!

"A semi tracked Media Mail type speed"

"I think part of the problem is some sellers don’t understand that the envelope has to be under 1/4 inches thick and bendable. They use card holders and or cardboard because the are afraid cards will get damaged. 

Instead of using top loaders which are rigid and not very bendable. I suggest using card savers which are semi rigid and bendable but have no trouble going thru the mail sorting machines. If cards sent thru standard envelope can’t go thru the sorting machines they won’t get scanned and tracked either. "

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

It is basically "metered mail". I believe "metered mail" of this type is considered 1st Class Mail.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

It is equivalent to First Class Letter when measured by FB left by buyers who are religious about leaving FB on arrival.

The scans occur when they pass through high speed sorters which have the capability to scan. Not all of the high speed sorters have the capability.

USPS is experimenting with this capability with several postage resellers not just Ebay.

IMO it is not a reliable service, and will die if dishonest sellers cause undue insurance claims.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply