cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shipping - Retail Ground no longer shown.

Hello,

Starting about three days ago, I was no longer shown the option to ship by USPS Retail Ground. I now only have the options - parcel select, priority mail package, and priority mail express package.

When I check the actual USPS site, I am offered Retail Ground as an option. I called eBay, and they said they only show what is available from USPS, but couldnt explain why I dont see Retail Ground. They suggested I use, Parcel Select, but that service can take quite a bit longer than Retail Ground. I also, switched to the classic shipping page and had the same issue.

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 57
latest reply
56 REPLIES 56

Re: Shipping - Retail Ground no longer shown.

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote: ... I am not the only one that has posted the information about "retail ground". I suppose I am the only one that has chosen not to accept your misinformation by replying to it:)

Indeed, there's just no point in restating facts if they are just being flatly denied.

You are correct. I am done:)

Message 46 of 57
latest reply

BYE!

Message 47 of 57
latest reply

Just happened today - my listing offered Retail Ground and the buyer chose that option, about $23 for a 5 pound package, 17" x 11" x 10"; however, when trying to print the shipping label, ebay only listed priority and parcel select, about $50 for the same package.  I certainly could not afford to be out the difference.  The CS chap merely said that USPS was not offering that service to ebay!? At the post office I paid about $29, including insurance and tracking.  I considered my cost a one-time present to the buyer.

I have been on ebay a long time and do recall being able to print, once that service was offered, parcel ground labels - probably called parcel post then.  Due to  today's issue, I am listing all larger boxes as pick-up only to avoid having the buyer pay $30 to $50 dollars for shipping.  And certainly not offering free returns.  Or may try a local / nationwide free listing service to continue my downsizing project.

Message 48 of 57
latest reply

I have not been on this post in a while, but just wanted to maybe clarify things for anyone new looking here.  I do not know if Retail Ground was ever available to be printed via eBay.  However that is not the relevant point, to me.  You can offer USPS Retail Ground as an option, however you should also use USPS Parcel Select.  RG is definitely cheaper on items 4 pounds or more when shipping across the country.  It can be confusing because as everyone agrees, you cannot PRINT that label on eBay.  BUT the buyer may choose that option, and when you want to print the label, you will only see your other USPS choices.  It is then up to you to write a label and bring the package to the post office.  It can easily save $25 on the shipping.  It does come with tracking.  You can either buy insurance through post office or Auctiva (if you use them for listing).  I hope this helps someone.  

Message 49 of 57
latest reply

@design2k wrote:

I have been on ebay a long time and do recall being able to print, once that service was offered, parcel ground labels - probably called parcel post then.  ...

Yes, that's correct. It used to be possible to print Parcel Post labels on eBay, when it was still called Parcel Post. But, not since they renamed it to Standard Post, which is now called Retail Ground.

In 2013, Parcel Post was renamed Standard Post, which could only be purchased at the retail counter in the post office, because it was intended for private users, not businesses or commercial users (like online sellers). You could still buy Parcel Select online, which was the commercial/business version of the same service. Then in 2016, Standard Post was renamed Retail Ground. It still can only be purchsed at the retail counter in the post office. It has never been possible to purchase either Standard Post or Retail Ground postage online.

https://www.uspsoig.gov/sites/default/files/document-library-files/2015/rarc-wp-14-004_0.pdf

...image.png

...image.png

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parcel_post

...image.png

Message 50 of 57
latest reply

@chatsnoire wrote: ....  RG is definitely cheaper on items 4 pounds or more when shipping across the country.  ....  

No, it isn't.  But it is cheaper for packages that are over 1 cubic foot, regardless of destination.

Screen Shot 2019-11-16 at 8.18.50 AM.png

Priority Mail commercial rates to 7 pounds 2019.png

Message 51 of 57
latest reply

What about zone 9?  It is cheaper for 4 pounds and more, is that out of the country?  The dimensional weight is certainly key, too, as you pointed out.  The shipping calculator pretty much takes the guess work out, so my advice would be to offer RG, PS and PM on all heavy and/or large packages.  

Message 52 of 57
latest reply

just realized:   Zone 9: Designated for Freely Associated States, for example when you Guam Palau and other US territories.

Message 53 of 57
latest reply

@chatsnoire wrote:

just realized:   Zone 9: Designated for Freely Associated States, for example when you Guam Palau and other US territories.

Guam and other US territories are priced as Zone 8.

The "Freely Associated States" are a few tiny islands in the Pacific which are technically separate countries but which collaborate with USPS to provide their postal service.  The total population is about equivalent to that of Indianapolis.  USPS added Zone 9 after apparently decided not to subsidize them quite as much.

Message 54 of 57
latest reply

"Sorry, but that is not possible. As has been explained twice, it is ---- Retail--- purchased at the Post Office "retail counter". It is not an "online" service purchase."
Your statement is SIMPLY NOT TRUE.
Message 55 of 57
latest reply

@oakgrovemusic2023 wrote:
"Sorry, but that is not possible. As has been explained twice, it is ---- Retail--- purchased at the Post Office "retail counter". It is not an "online" service purchase."
Your statement is SIMPLY NOT TRUE.

Do you have any evidence at all to support that?

Message 56 of 57
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 57 of 57
latest reply